kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

EarthLink's updated newsgroup FAQ!

»support.earthlink.net/articles/t ··· -faq.php

35 GB every 30 days (no more 5 GB). Pay attention to the last section though:

"Why can I no longer access Newsgroups?
Newsgroup access is limited to customers who opened accounts prior to December 2013. If you have closed and reopened your account recently, you will have lost access to Newsgroups. You can also lose access to Newsgroups for violations of the Acceptable Use Policy or by attempting to circumvent monthly bandwidth limits."

rolfp

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

That's interesting. It's been a while since I used Newsgroups but good to know. Thanks.

Sfischer1

join:2006-02-12
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to antdude
I am in the process of getting my Newsgroups access restored.

Many things can cause you to lose access.

Including just a price increase which just happened to me. Member since 09/30/97 with no breaks (thanks EarthLink® Experience).

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Sfischer1:

I am in the process of getting my Newsgroups access restored.

Many things can cause you to lose access.

Including just a price increase which just happened to me. Member since 09/30/97 with no breaks (thanks EarthLink® Experience).

Wow, which one made you lose it? How much did you pay before and after?

Sfischer1

Sunnyvale, CA

1 recommendation

DSL 1.5 Was $29.95, now $34.95.

BUT!!!!!

In talking to the second (third?) tier support I was told that DSL 3.0 is the same price. That is also in the works.

--------------------------------------------------
I have been unable to get past the bait and switch stuff to discover what DSL 6.0 costs.

And if two pairs of copper wire are required from the Remote Terminal ~ .4 Mi away for DSL 6.0. (4-wires)

In any case the person indicated that my seven (7) year old DSL Modem likely will be replaced.

SHF

Sfischer1

Sunnyvale, CA
My Newsgroup access was just restored.

From alt.provider.earthlink which you can get no information when you are cut off (Catch 22).

> Looking through my account he found that I changed
> the password on the newsgroup email account.

The free minimal webpage statistics going to all zeros is another item that was cut off. Dialing Earthlink Support ...

SHF

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by Sfischer1:

> Looking through my account he found that I changed
> the password on the newsgroup email account.

Yes, your email password is your NNTP password too. When you change things you have to update your programs that use your password.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Sfischer1

Sunnyvale, CA
By the new rules, you are cut off from the newsgroups and must get EarthLink support to restore access.

quote:
I have been with Earthlink for 12 years. I finally got a tech person that
knew what newsgroup are. Looking through my account he found that I changed
the password on the newsgroup email account. That is what got it cut off. I
told him I was getting a lot of spam on the account was the reason I told
hem if I didn't get newsgroups back I would be droping Earthlink as my
internet provider. He said he would send the message to top level. I'll
wait and see. He said it might take 3 days for a return call.
So if you do change the password you are cut off and cannot enter a new password!

SHF

Aamod

@24.136.74.x
Yeah I've been with earthlink for over ten years never had any issues with their usenet access but now all I get is 481 errors username and password invalid which are not and what makes it worse no one on customer support has any idea what I am taking about

Sfischer1

Sunnyvale, CA
You need to get to Tier 3 support.

Tier 2 asked me for a screen grab and then I got a phone call from a tier 3 person who even sent me a free modem when problems occurred getting me to 3.0 Mbps (Same price as 1.5).

I went from 1.3 to 1.52, I was hoping for 2.6 but the cable underground for ~ 43 years is a huge problem.

Did your price increase, that is what triggered my loss of newsgroups.

SHF

albundyhere

join:2000-10-26
New York, NY
reply to antdude
been having huge throttling lately since last week. i used to get full speed 2mbps, now i can barely get a quarter of 1mbps in newsgroups. whats going on with these guys!!!???

if i cant get this working, i'm dumping it and going with cheaper RCN service to cover the expenses of a paid usenet service.

albundyhere

join:2000-10-26
New York, NY
false alarm! its back to normal!