uniqs

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Tony Stewart kills sprint car driver

Oh man, this does not look good for Tony Stewart.

*Warning - Graphic Video*

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 445.html

CANANDAIGUA, N.Y. (AP) — NASCAR driver Tony Stewart struck and killed a driver who was walking on a dirt track during a race in upstate New York, authorities said early Sunday.

A video of the crash at Canandaigua Motorsports Park showed driver Kevin Ward Jr. stepping toward Stewart's car before being hit and hurtled 50 feet.

The Ontario County Sheriff's Department would not identify the driver but said he was pronounced dead Saturday night at a hospital in Canandaigua.

I have to say, it appears Stewart hit Ward intentionally.

Poor kid.

Edit: deadspin has a pretty comprehensive write up.

»deadspin.com/reports-ton ··· 18893708
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Nascar isnt anything but a three horse race sport any more. Im guessing Stewart was trying to put on a show and got burned. Its a sad thing. At the end of the day im guessing a jury should decide his fate. At the very least he needs to be banned from the sport.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
What the the fuck is it with Stewart and running sprints up here? Every year it's something with him and now he kills Ward Jr and real up and coming talent. Stewart loves racing up here because it's one of few places when he's on the track he gets treated like every other driver and our folks are some of the best in the business. He's won a couple up here over the years (and some have questioned them) but for the most part he's not really competitive. Not many outsiders are on our wealth of race tracks so I give it to him for trying. Now the fuck kills a driver for doing the exact same thing I've seen Stewart do 100 times - walk on the track like an idiot and point or throw something at offending driver. Stewart clearly was wiggling his car much like a jet does when it dips it's wings and he lost control.

According to Stewart-Hass Racing Stewart is racing today. It may well be his last.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

rolfp

Premium Member

said by kingdome74:

According to Stewart-Hass Racing Stewart is racing today. It may well be his last.

Stewart-Hass changed their tune, Regan Smith will drive.
»www.latimes.com/sports/s ··· ory.html

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Good.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
I always thought it would have been Crashica with her poor driving skills to cause an accident and take a life, always thought the widdle baby Cryle Bushie would have killed someone in rage. It's not a total shock to me that Tony the Crybaby is now Tony the Murderer, what is a shock is that he blatantly ran someone over instead of causing an accident that took a life. It was always funny watching that crybaby get all upset like when he threw his helmet as Matt Kenseth's hood, acting like the two year old spoiled brat that he is. Hopefully the Ontario County Sheriff has the balls to charge the murderer with something.

After attending every single Watkins Glenn race from 1990-1999, I have no desire to watch these races, and I'm not a fan of road courses in general but I think I'll tune in today and see if the guys on ESPN defend this piece of shit.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
Posted in the NY Times this morning....

A witness to the crash, the sprint car driver Tyler Graves, told The Sporting News that Stewart’s action led to the fatality.

“I know Tony could see him,” Graves said. “I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two, and then it threw him about 50 yards.”

....Although it seemed Ward had put himself at grave risk by walking onto the track while racecars were on it, that kind of action is not unheard-of in racing. Drivers will often try to confront other drivers directly on the track. In 2012, Stewart walked onto the track at Bristol Motor Speedway after a wreck with Matt Kenseth and threw his helmet at Kenseth’s racecar in disgust.

Stewart has a long history of confrontations with drivers, news media and officials in Nascar....

»www.nytimes.com/2014/08/ ··· ack.html

Does not look good.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
I'm guessing that manslaughter will be the appropriate charge here.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by shaner:

I'm guessing that manslaughter will be the appropriate charge here.

Second-degree manslaughter under NYS law, what some other states call "involuntary" manslaughter. Death caused by recklessness but neither premeditated nor intentional.

Or maybe Second-degree Vehicular manslaughter....
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
As per ESPN, the murderer just released a statement giving his fake condolences.

It was extremely disappointing to watch the prerace show and see everyone having more sympathy for the murderer then the victim. At least they flashed a graphic highlighting the short career of Kevin Ward Jr before some savage hotheaded lunatic murderer took his life.

MPScan
Premium Member
join:2001-08-24
Boston, MA

5 recommendations

MPScan

Premium Member

said by Happydude32:

As per ESPN, the murderer......... everyone having more sympathy for the murderer......hotheaded lunatic murderer took his life.

You can call Stewart a murderer all you want, but please reserve the "hotheaded lunatic" comment for the individual who actually got out of his car and started running around on an active racetrack.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Like Stewart himself has done numerous times? He IS a hot headed lunatic. The difference is the 20 year old boy in this case WAS a hot headed lunatic.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to MPScan

Premium Member

to MPScan
Typical liberal, blaming the victim.

Ward Jr did nothing different then what that murderer does every time things don't go his way. Hopefully the murderer never races in NASCAR or anything else again. Clearly his rage is uncontrollable, the murderer has a long history of being a lunatic and he has no business being on a race track, he belongs behind bars.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Ward does deserve some culpability here. He would not be dead if he had stayed in the car. However, any prosecution could argue Ward learned that aggressive confrontational style from one of his racing idols, Tony Stewart himself.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
It was great to see AJ give his condolences to the Ward family and make no mention of the murder. Just like the Boston Marathon terrorist, it’s best not to mention the lowlife scumbags by name and focus on the victims and not give them anymore media time.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

It was extremely disappointing to watch the prerace show and see everyone having more sympathy for the murderer than the victim.

Agree with this.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

LazMan to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
X-post from a different section of this forum:

Given that the guy got out of his car, and actively ran at Stewart's car; well, it's tragic Ward passed, but he earned his Darwin award fair and square.

Smoke's a hot-head, sure; but when you get out of a car, and run into the oncoming traffic, in a poorly-lit dirt track, wearing a dark fire suit; then pretty much jump infront of Stewart's car, you get what you get.

I feel bad for Ward's family & friends; the people at the track; I feed worse for Stewart and his family - this could be career ending for him - it'll be tough to get back into his car, and drive it like he can or should, after this.

To add to those in here, referring to Stewart as a murderer - God have mercy on you, if you ever get into a car accident, and someone get's killed... I see nothing wrong in Stewart's actions in the videos I've seen, and firmly believe the fault (and responsibility for what happened) lies with Ward...
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

He is a murderer, a cold blooded murderer. He lost his ability to think rationally for a split second, like he does oh so often and you know the rest. He belongs in a jail cell not the race track, but he won't get the jail cell he deserves, unfortunately. Hopefully this is career ending, if it's not, next race I attend I will be screaming 'murderer' at him if I see him pre-race. No one should feel sorry for the hot headed jackass murderer.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

"He lost his ability to think rationally for a split second"

And you think that Ward was acting rationally?
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

Ward did nothing different then what the murderer does on a regular basis.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

2 recommendations

battleop

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 100% Ward's fault for jumping out of the car and running out to confront a moving car. I suppose if you run out into the middle of the interstate and your dumb ass gets hit it's the driver's fault?

This could have been completely avoided if Ward had stayed in his car.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

LazMan to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
Steve - I see from your profile, you're a biblical man...

Read a little Matthew 7:1-3

I don't see where Stewart did anything wrong...

Butt-hurt driver jumped out infront of Stewart's ride; but Smoke's the hot-head who belongs in a jail cell?
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to Happydude32

to Happydude32
So if it were reversed and Ward hit Tony, would you be as hard on Ward? How do you KNOW Tony saw the guy? You don't like Tony thats plain to see, but to claim to KNOW what he saw and what he was doing is a stretch.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
From the video its debatable whether he hit him intentionally or not, whether he tried to scare him or brush him for trying to disrespect him by trying to challenge him.

But the kid willingly put himself in harm's way, even if Tony Stewart didn't hit him, someone else could have spun out or been bumped and the result would have been similar.

It's worth noting that he didn't stand beside his car and motioned in anger at Stewart, he actually ran towards his car.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Happydude32

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

He is a murderer, a cold blooded murderer.

If Ward wanted to confront Stewart, he should've waited until the race was over. Going in front of a moving car is never a smart idea.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

I don't think there isn't a rational person on earth who wouldn't agree that Ward should have stayed in his car. However, I've watched the video over and over, and I can't escape the thought that Smoke was trying to intimidate Ward and it got away from him. Every other car on the track slowed down for the caution, you can hear them all gear down. Every other driver on the track took a low line around the Centre of the track to avoid Ward. It looks like Stewart drove up to Ward, and you can distinctively hear him Rev the engine causing the back end to kick out right into Ward.

I still say it's at least manslaughter. Stewart didn't mean to kill him, but he sure as hell chose to gun the gas at the worst possible moment.

hulltech
Premium Member
join:2001-12-14
Sheboygan, WI

hulltech to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
This was posted on the FB page of a crew member of the #45 car that was directly in front of Stewart. Going off what he says here and having first hand knowledge myself of what the view out of a sprint car is I feel the same way. It was an unfortunate accident. Piss poor lighting at the track and a pissed off driver that decided to get out of his car instead of waiting for the safety crew which is standard procedure at every track I've ever been to.

"i have driven these cars,the right side board on the top wing will block out an entire car let alone a person standing there,i now work on the 45 car in the video and the driver said he just saw him at the last second and just missed him,Tony had even less time to react to the situation.people in the stands or watching this video have no idea how fast these thing happen and how limited our view is inside the car.it was a very bad turn of events that happened but we all know the dangers involved in the sport we love."
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

It's worth noting that he didn't stand beside his car and motioned in anger at Stewart, he actually ran towards his car.

These particular men aside, for the future the NASCAR and other racing groups must BAN the practice of getting out of your car during a race, unless needed for imminent safety reasons.

And if you DO get out of your car, you must get OFF the roadway immediately.

No matter WHAT caused it!

Violation should be subject to severe penalties.

It is [astounding] that this hasn't been in the rulebooks for 50 years!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

Ward did nothing different then what the murderer does on a regular basis.

On occasions you are right, however this time you are so far off base you are almost in right field.
I feel sorry for Tony, an idiot running into oncoming traffic may be the end of a very talented drivers career.

Hob

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by HiVolt:

These particular men aside, for the future the NASCAR and other racing groups must BAN the practice of getting out of your car during a race, unless needed for imminent safety reasons.

And if you DO get out of your car, you must get OFF the roadway immediately.

No matter WHAT caused it!

Violation should be subject to severe penalties.

It is [astounding] that this hasn't been in the rulebooks for 50 years!

I have never been to track that didn't have that particular rule. Drivers are to remain in their vehicles unless there is a fire, or a risk of fire, they are to evacuate a safe distance.

What this kid did would have probably gotten him suspended from the track, and probably docked points as well. His car did not appear to be seriously damaged, other than a bent wheel and torn up tire. If this wasn't the A-Main, he probably could have continued, but not after a stunt like that. The track certainly would have ejected him for the night... Some smaller name tracks have a little more relaxed rules as they're having trouble financially, but I doubt that this track is one of those if it draws the attention of drivers like Tony Stewart.