how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alterkocher

join:2008-06-23
Silver Spring, MD

No Internet Connectivity With OS9

Hi I was recently given an old G4 TiBook running OS 9.2.2 and decided to play around with it before installing Tiger. I used Airport Assistant to connect to my local network with no problem but the browsers will not load any websites. I read someplace that the original Airport cards do not like WPA so I temporarily reset my network to WEP but the browsers still cannot load any pages and they will not even load pages from unsecured wifi hotspots near my home. The control panel for Internet shows the signal strength of my local network so I am pretty sure the machine has found my network. I would very much appreciate any suggestions as to how to connect to the Internet using OS9.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ

If your router is not an apple product, try setting the encryption type from either 'AES/TKIP both' or AES only - to TKIP only.

I would first try no encryption then move on to type after confirming the mac can join unencrypted.

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Alterkocher

I currently have my PowerMac G4 QS with MacOS 9.2.2 on WEP 40-bit and connected via its AirPort card to my AirPort Express.

Only a few web sites load all the way with either Internet Explorer or Netscape.

--->Robert
8-)
--
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Alterkocher

Apple's original Airport card was not very compatible with wireless routers other than Apple when it comes to handling the encryption.

I remember the passphrase was something that did not work right, you had to enter the WEP HEX key.
--

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
kudos:1

This ^^^

And the Hex key would occasionally vanish.
--
--

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to Alterkocher

Didn't you need a $$ in front of your password? It's been so long I can't remember.