Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

[Tools] multi-position ladder question

Click for full size
I don't think it shows on the home depot site but in the normal A frame configuration what is the height of this ladder?

I'm pretty sure it shows on the ladder it's self in the store

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

[Tools] Re: multi-position ladder question

It should be around 9-10' max. We have a 26' 1A multi position at work and the SOB is heavy.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Really? Did not seem that heavy for aluminum

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to Subaru

»us.wernerco.com/en/view/Products···MT/MT-22 says 5-9 feet
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

AlarmGuy

join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO
reply to Subaru

I have had a 22' gorilla that is similar for quite some time. It works well in stairs and in unique situations, but for everyday use it sucks. Using it as an extension ladder is cumbersome and to a degree dangerous, these ladders do not have the rotating feet that grip the surface.

dark_star

join:2003-11-14
Louisville
reply to Subaru

I own that exact ladder. It isn't really 22 feet at full extension. It is now common practice (across many brands) to include the safe reach height of an average adult, when said adult is perched atop the highest safe rung of said ladder.

I am generally happy with the ladder. Worst thing about it, by far, is that there is more play in the hinges when in the locked position than I expected. Weight of the ladder is about 45 pounds.

I bought mine at Lowe's for $141 plus tax. Lowes matched a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon. If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, take a HF 20% off coupon and a coupon for the 16' HF multi ladder. Obviously, you can't expect Lowe's to price match the 22' Werner to the 16' HF ladder. The HF ladder coupon is just to prove that it is a competing item. The Lowe's cashier took the 20% off for me without even calling for a manager.

I can measure the exact "A" configuration height, if you haven't already got that from another source.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

I need the step height because of a 12 ft fixture and the extension for a 16 ft outdoor light.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

1 edit
reply to Subaru

Click for full size
I hate how the rungs feel like they have no grip at all and I have work boots on.. Also in the extension position it has like a flexible bar at the top I'm trying to lean it on a light post and seeing how it flexes I won't be going up by myself.

dark_star

Louisville

In that photo it looks to me like you don't have the left hinge (the blue knob) locked.

Also, I would not lean my weight against a lightweight light post, nor would I ever do anything remotely electrical (including a bulb change) on an outdoor aluminum ladder.

Job probably needs a cherry picker, or at the least, a fiberglass extension ladder.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

They are not going to go for that I can tell you now

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Subaru

They cost a little more but I like my Little Giant ladders. They are built much better than the others I have owned.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

at least something like this is needed. »dicketool.com/productpages/laddermate.html unless maybe they have a large life insurance policy on you, then it's ok from a monetary standpoint, but it's going to hurt bad if that pole breaks..

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

That strap is $60 something?

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
reply to Subaru

no way in HELL I would work on lot lights from a ladder. i'll keep on using my versalift bucket for that.

......call someone with one. or rent one. it'll be a lot cheaper than your hospital bills.

bigballs

@69.118.94.x
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

O well no lights then... your nuts to go up on that thing...

It can slide up top
Your nicely grounded... hope everything is wired right up there...
And I'd never use a ladder that is split half way up, that's just me.

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
Reviews:
·Service Electric..
reply to Subaru

That is NOT the ladder for doing that. I would go with the "redneck method" of a 12' fiberglass stepladder in the bed of my work truck before I tried that.

I drop between $2000 and $3000 a year at work for a lift truck to come out and fix our pole lights at all 3 buildings. One time in the fall and again in the spring. I try not to freeze the guy out over winter.

One of these years I will retro to LED for the parking lots.

dark_star

Louisville
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

Who is "they"? I don't mean a specific name, but are we talking about your employer, someone you do contract work for, family business, what?

Anyway, whoever is involved, I think using that ladder for that job is a very bad idea. Just look at the sticker on the ladder. No electrical work. No use around wires.

If you intend to do it anyway, a few suggestions:

CUT THE POWER to the lamp at the breaker. Then put a padlock on the load center door until you are done. You think the bulb is bad, but all you really know is that the lamp produces no light. Could be a wire has shorted. Even if it is only 110 volts, you are unlikely to remain on the ladder if you get shocked.

Keep the ladder as upright as possible, but not so upright that you risk falling backwards away from the pole. With the steep lean shown in your photo, when you are at the top of the ladder you will be putting almost all of your weight against the top of the light pole, very little on the ladder. Leverage will be working against you; your weight will be an effective lever to try to push the pole over.

Have a helper with a cell phone standing by.

Make sure your health insurance, life insurance, Last Will, and other personal affairs are in order. :-(

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Subaru

I have a big "Little Giant" ladder and although I like how solid it feels, it's one beast of a thing to move due to its weight. I think its extended height is 24 feet. I know it weighs between 50 and 60 pounds. The newer ones are somewhat lighter, but I've had mine over 10 years. It's solid as hell... maybe a factor of its weight. I thought about ordering a wheel kit to make moving it around a little easier, but I really don't use it all that much.

I actually ordered the smaller version (one size smaller) and they sent this one by mistake. When I called about it, they told me that shipping it back (at their expense) wasn't worth the effort and to just keep the longer one (more expensive) with their compliments. As I said, I like it... a lot but moving it around is no fun, especially for one person.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

psiu

join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Subaru

Not sure who this is for Subaru, but like others have pointed out, plenty of risks to that whole arrangement. It's not like something terrible is going to happen *every time* you go up there. It's that it only takes ONE time.

Is whatever/wherever you are working on this for, more important than your life? Honestly, that's the question, not trying to make it more of a big deal than it is, but that is the question.

Personally, I would tell them ponying up for a very large and heavy step ladder that will require two people to wrangle about (looking at local ladder dealer here, Werner has some double sided stepladders up to 20' in height, but they are heeeeeeavy) versus whatever sort of commercial service or a lift could be reasonable. Ladder probably in the $500-700 ballpark.

You could also make some calls to see what costs are for servicing lot lights like that. Might be reasonable.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Subaru

That's psychotic. Assuming this is at the church, tell them to say an extra prayer or three because you'll need it.

That light post isn't designed to handle the weight & strain of the ladder and you against it.

Get a cherry picker, or see if one of the members of the church works for the electric or phone or cable companies and can swing by with a bucket truck on the way back to the garage ... Won't be but a minute to change that bulb, but will be months of rehab if/when the post collapses under the ladder weight.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

Whoever "they" are, I would tell them unless they pay to get the correct equipment to do the job SAFELY, I would not do it.

No way would I risk injuring or killing myself because someone is being cheap and doesn't want to rent the proper equipment.

This a job for a bucket truck, boom lift, or scissor lift.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

How much does a scissor lift rent for? I guess they do by hours? I really need it for less then a hour. If it's something like $200 it might be iffy.

And my buying of the ladder was not really for the light outside but inside work like getting to the roof from the access door inside, before I had to prop a 7 ft ladder on a door and jump up and jump down on the very top landing, it was painful on the knees.

And I had to fix a light fixture in the stairway that came undone when I changed the fixture to LED.

I don't know how United Rental works on that, I know we had to rent some heaters from them like 3 years ago.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Subaru

The A frame is for extra stability when it's in a step ladder setup.

psiu

join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

How much does a scissor lift rent for? I guess they do by hours? I really need it for less then a hour. If it's something like $200 it might be iffy.

Good chance they won't even bother with less than day increments -- driver and truck aren't going to sit around and wait for you to get a job finished. Call up and see what the rates are -- tried checking locally here but need to create an account to see rates. "/

However, you could also try to maximize things and get the most done with a lift possible in a day, have a list of projects that it would help with, plan em out, maybe get a helper, etc etc.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to Subaru

Not sure renting a lift for an hour would be practical, especially with the delivery charges involved. Maybe consider renting a scaffold for the day? Or hire an electrician with a bucket lift for an hour.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to psiu

That's what I plan to do I have stuff inside I need to do like 20 br40 lights that need to be changed out. So I might wait until I have enough led bulbs first then start

InigoMontoya

join:2014-04-28
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

They cost a little more but I like my Little Giant ladders. They are built much better than the others I have owned.

The Werner is the exact same thing as the Little Giant in this case. I own the Werner but use the Little Giant add-ons.

Little Giant 15012 Project Tray Ladder Accessory
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00260GLR8

Little Giant Ladder Systems 10104 375-Pound Rated Work Platform Ladder Accessory
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00064C4V8

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Subaru

I would get a fiberglass ladder for the outside poles, with a V-rung and straps (to lash to the pole so it doesn't go south or side ways). Werner sells them.

Then for inside, I would get a fiberglass step ladder. Height per you needs to get to the BR40s...

If you do much exterior light work, a bucket truck investment, or lift might be considered. Renting is an option but there is always the cost. Good luck and be safe!
--
Splat

alphageek911

join:2007-08-10
Fresno, CA
reply to Subaru

Some Home Depot stores in our area have a rental tow-behind bucket lift available, you might check if that's an option in your area (or if other rental outlets have the towable models). I've used them a couple of times.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to Subaru

how about putting up a sign that says "free parking for 1 bucket lift in exchange for occasional use here"?? heck, the mythbusters got one for free, that needed some work, from a rental place.. it had a bad starting solenoid..