All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
myst
join:2013-12-13

myst

Bell is horrible, I need a stable connection

I live in Brossard, south shore of Montreal. I work from home and have been using Bell Fibe's 25/10 internet for the past 6 months. I'm on my 3rd Sagemcom modem and I am ready to smash it into a million pieces. Anytime I am working and try to load up a YouTube video or even an audio clip, the internet goes down for around a minute.

I work from home and getting disconnected has literally cost me thousands of dollars. Can you guys suggest the most stable and reliable option? I know I could go with a business connection for around $400-$500/month but I was hoping not to have to do that. Thanks.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy

Does you router/modem have an on demand feature. My DLink had that and would disconnect from pppoe if there was network activity after certain amount of time and took a minute to so to regain network access. It got activate after a firmware update and was fucking annoying.

mk_416
@108.168.55.x

mk_416 to myst

Anon

to myst
What were the issues and how were they resolved by bell?

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to myst

Premium Member

to myst
you maybe should go with cable internet. if you have some issues with dsl it may be the lines to your home the ones in your home who knows. If you've had all the issues with dsl I'd go cable if you can.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to myst

to myst
Are you on a Stinger? Bhell still hasn't fixed sync-no-surf.

I recommend Teksavvy 25/10 DSL with the SmartRG modem. It's been rock solid for me (after crazy issues with sync-no-surf and Bhell's crappy Sagemcom)

I wouldn't recommend cable if uploading is important.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Hrm.... Costs you thousands.... Why do you still have a residential connection? At the very least, why don't you have a backup connection?

Btw, as per the lockup, call Bell and ask to be placed on the interleaved profile.
myst

myst

I don't need a lot of upload, just good download speeds and above all connection stability.

I'm not sure what Stinger is, where do I check that? I have the Sagemcom modem. Bell's response was to swap out the modem twice, and now when I call they tell me to try switching channels etc, but when I come online everyone has the same issues with that damn modem.
myst

myst to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

Hrm.... Costs you thousands.... Why do you still have a residential connection? At the very least, why don't you have a backup connection?

Btw, as per the lockup, call Bell and ask to be placed on the interleaved profile.

Because I'm really not tech savvy, no pun intended lol. I work for myself so I don't really have anyone to guide me on better internet connections.

I asked them about the interleaved profile, it didn't change anything.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

You asked them about it... Did they actually put you on it?
That would resolve the sync-no-surf issue.

When the connection drops, ping 8.8.8.8 and see if pings still go through.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

said by Nitra:

Pings always go through with SNS.

Edit: SNS or not - a switch from Bhell to an IISP is worth it. TSI would be my top recommendation but I'm biased.
myst

myst

What's TSI?
myst

myst to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

They said I was already on it. The lady really didn't sound like she knew what she was talking about though so not 100% sure about that.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy to myst

to myst
said by myst:

What's TSI?

TSI = TekSavvy Internet

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

OP, if you've got cable available, swap to cable, TSI or ElectronicBox, or if you want 120mb+, go direct to Videotron.

In the interim, call Bell back and make sure you are on interleaved profile, you can make a post here in the Bell direct forums.
Also, as part of troubleshooting, while the internet is timing out, if you can still ping 8.8.8.8 , this is the sns issue and interleaved will fix it, replacing the Sagemcom will not.
At is point, swapping to a 3rd party DSL provider is a bad idea, you are having issues and it's just another hoop to jump through if there are issues (which you currently have now)
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

Cable is not worth it for upload imo, unless you can toss away cash on $100/month connections.

I'd love to see symmetrical connections - I'd be in heaven with a 25/25 connection.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Cable in Quebec is very much worth it, even the cheap connections have 10meg upload.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

said by Nitra:

Cable in Quebec is very much worth it, even the cheap connections have 10meg upload.

Didn't Videotron have one of the highest CBB rates?

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

And? At least the OP would have reliable internet. And electronicbox does have very reasonable prices
myst

myst

said by Nitra:

And? At least the OP would have reliable internet. And electronicbox does have very reasonable prices

At this point I'm definitely not looking for the cheapest, I just want the best connection. If I have 2 similar options then yes I will take the cheaper one. I will look into TSI's cable, that uses Videotron connection right?

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Yessir
JMJimmy

JMJimmy to myst

to myst
If you want top end cable don't bother with TSI, they don't compete in that market due to the zero profit (thanks to those CBB rates). Ebox doesn't compete at the top end either (they don't even offer anything above 60/10) Videotron is the sweet spot but their customer service isn't the greatest.

Start.ca is probably the only alternative for top end cable that I'd recommend. 150/15mbps for $90 and a 400gb limit (upload doesn't count towards limit, nor does 2am to 8am downloads). Top end customer service

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

I beg to differ, Videotron has some of the best customer service, period.
You will generally get a tech the same day if there's an issue.

On the lower tiers, 60 or lower, you are better to try a 3rd party provider.
TSI is local to Ontario, ElectronicBox is a Quebec company.
I've got services with TSI/EB/Videotron, and really, on cable, you can't go wrong with any of them.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to JMJimmy

Premium Member

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

Cable is not worth it for upload imo, unless you can toss away cash on $100/month connections.

I'd love to see symmetrical connections - I'd be in heaven with a 25/25 connection.

OP says he's losing thousands of $$$ with Bell going down. Surely, he can afford the cable prices...
JMJimmy

JMJimmy to Nitra

to Nitra
I'm just going based off the reviews here on DSLR, I've obviously never had their service. There's mentions of them outsourcing support to India which is a huge red flag for me. Though that was from 2012. Overall the consistent themes were that they were over priced (obviously fixed) and that their support was hit and miss, even in the positive reviews.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

OP says he's losing thousands of $$$ with Bell going down. Surely, he can afford the cable prices...

True, I don't know his real financial situation. Value for money is always important though. If download is not important just upload then bonded DSL puts $240 in his pocket by the end of the year. Even doing unbonded but 2 separate connections from 2 companies to ensure he's got a backup and can be doing 2 uploads on separate systems. Just depends what the preferences are.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Videotron does NOT outsource to India, that's false information.
Expand your moderator at work