uniqs

joepwpb
Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

[WIN8] Confirmation of Win 8 Update 1

How do I confirm that this computer has Update 1?

Thanks

Joe P
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Assuming you're referring to the desktop, and not RT.

Well 8.1 has the static start button again, and the taskbar will have options like boot to desktop, along with the start menu bringing up the all apps screen.

8.1 update 1 has the taskbar option to show store applications by default when it wasn't possible before, and the store app will be on the taskbar as a pinned app, which can also simply be unpinned. Before metro applications didn't show on the desktop toolbar.

if you still have the auto-hide start button then you need to open the store, and install the 8.1 update, then proceed to install the rest of the updates.

joepwpb
Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb

Premium Member

Thanks...got it

Joe P

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to joepwpb

to joepwpb
winver.exe still exist?
Wonder what that might say?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by therube:

winver.exe still exist?
Wonder what that might say?

Does not say anything about Update 1 being installed. My system has it, and here is my Winver screen

The system information screen looks the same as it did before Update 1 was applied.

That was the big discussion after it came out. No where did the OS actually list "Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with Update 1" or anything close to that. There is a thread about that on here, but I did not search for it yet this morning.

The ways you can tell were outlined by BlitzenZeus See Profile. The other thing that helps show that you have 8.1 Update 1 are new icons on the start screen

The one on the left is "Power Options" and gives you the options of "Sleep", "Shutdown" or "Restart". The one on the right is "Search". Those icons are not present in Windows 8.0, or Windows 8.1 without Update 1 applied.

--Brian

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

(Kind of ridiculous that there isn't a straight forward manner to determine what you've got. Much like it is & has been with .NET. But I suppose they want it that way, where the number means nothing, & all that matters is that you agree with whatever they say & accept any & all updates as they throw them to you - without question. Because at that point, numbers are immaterial.)