cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

[Appliances] New fridge, door issue..

Click for full size
top down seal thickness
So I got a new fridge delivered this weekend. Delivery was on time, and I inspected at the truck as the driver/loader unwrapped/unpackaged it. No need to remove doors, etc, as it was counterdepth model. The delivery guys have a clever harness/belt rig that allows them to move the unit quite easily. All in all, they look like a bug or walker.

I pointed out that the freezer door seems to sit higher. He untaped the door and showed that it is a design to snug up mate the ice dispenser. Ahhh...as you open the door, it comes down 1/4". Neat. Ok. So I find no visual damage, sign off and they leave.

Now the hard part: re-connect water line, make sure no leaks, I have to unpack all the taping inside, shelving, door shelves, install carbon filtration, and level the unit, then purge, prime the water system (4 minutes of flushing is a LONG time). Ice won't start making for a few hours. Seems quieter than older, but more different noises than older one (replaced similar brand and model that was 14yrs old). Then get all the food back in (3 coolers worth).

But something isn't right. Doors appear wrong, like the seal is off. But doors seal. Then I looked from top down...

Attached is picture shot from above the fridge door, freezer door in background. See how the fridge side is narrower at the seal? Bad seal perhaps? What bums me is, I just bought it, bypass Sears and have to contact Frigidaire and go through the process... I mean..isn't there any QC?
(quality control). Oh, and seems appliance makers only offer 1 yr warranty. So far so good on not leaking and making ice/water and staying cold.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

Model #/brand so we can look at other pictures of samples online?
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to cableties

to cableties
it looks like it has adjustable hinges, and in the refrigerator section, the hinge is out too far, making the door further away at the hinge, and closer away from the hinge, whereas the freezer door is even..

cableties
Premium Member

cableties

Premium Member

I tried to adjust the top but only the bottom has adjustment. It's ok on the outside right..I think it might be a bad seal... feels different than the freezer side...like the material was missing something inside. I can even pull all the seal off..so its not like they can't just send me a new Fridge-side seal to re-fit (or tech out with that as ez fix)

Model is a Frigidaire FGHC2331PF7 (22-23CuFt Counterdepth stainless)

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

Msradell to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
Quit messing with it and call the deal! It's only 2 days old, it's their problem not yours.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to cableties

Mod

to cableties
said by cableties:

What bums me is, I just bought it, bypass Sears and have to contact Frigidaire and go through the process...

Why? Just return it and buy a new one.

cableties
Premium Member

cableties

Premium Member

It took 2 weeks to get, and to have them pickup, bring another, store the food, ...pita...
66860111 (banned)
join:2014-04-28

66860111 (banned)

said by cableties:

It took 2 weeks to get, and to have them pickup, bring another, store the food, ...pita...

They should bring a new one first so you can transfer stuff to it. They wouldn't take the fridge without a replacement.
iknow_t

1 recommendation

iknow_t to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

sears services everything they sell, have a sears repairman deal with it.. under warranty..

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
Click for full size
the gap like that is normal

exactly the same like my Frigidaire

as the freezer SEAL is thicker then the fridge seal for obvious reasons.

but your fridge seal has delivery damage though.

looks like a pressure point from were the strap was at and is significantly damaged
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by Anonymous_:

the gap like that is normal

exactly the same like my Frigidaire

as the freezer SEAL is thicker then the fridge seal for obvious reasons.

but your fridge seal has delivery damage though.

looks like a pressure point from were the strap was at and is significantly damaged

your doors are an even distance from the refrigerator. the OP's on one side comes much closer..

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

the door is slightly not line up perfect

he has seal damage from pressure point and is damaged
Anonymous_

1 edit

Anonymous_ to iknow_t

Premium Member

to iknow_t
Click for full size
one is 7/8 while the other door is 15/16 so it's not perfect

the other side is 7/8 for both doors

the op has a damaged seal should get it replaced soon since it will wear prematurely

cableties
Premium Member

cableties

Premium Member

Thanks folks. This is why I enjoy this forum...I'm not "always" imagining things...

BTW, Frigidaire doesn't seem to be quick on reply via their email support so I am calling directly today.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald

I have exactly the same model, delivered the same way, although from HH Gregg. There is nothing wrong with the seal. What the other posters are seeing is the gap between the refrigerator door seal and the freezer seal. It appears to be behind the refrigerator door because of the angle of the shot. The taper in the gap is normal.

Absolutely nothing wrong here.
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by harald:

I have exactly the same model, delivered the same way, although from HH Gregg. There is nothing wrong with the seal. What the other posters are seeing is the gap between the refrigerator door seal and the freezer seal. It appears to be behind the refrigerator door because of the angle of the shot. The taper in the gap is normal.

Absolutely nothing wrong here.

what posters are seeing is the gasket is compressed less at the hinge side, and more at the far side. it's like moving the hinges out on a kitchen cabinet. too much of a gap at the hinge, yet the other end contacts the cabinet. the door should be even, with the space between the door and the refrigerator the same all around.

cableties
Premium Member

cableties to harald

Premium Member

to harald
Actually, I will find out Saturday as Sear "blue" is coming out to inspect/repair.
You have same model? It isn't normal.
harald
Columbus, OH

harald

I hope they can fix it to your satisfaction.

Here's part of what you (and I) are up against. Frigidaire is just a name. It used to be a manufacturer that pioneered refrigerators, acquired by GM. The name has been acquired by Electrolux of Sweden who operates a company in Canada which owns a company in the US called Electrolux that manufactured our Frigidaire refrigerators in Mexico. On mine, the door handles are misaligned vertically by nearly an inch. Like the gasket problem, it was caused when one door was mis-drilled.

The force applied to the gasket is created by self-closing hinges dependant upon how much food you put in the door, hence my earlier comment about this not being a problem. The gap will vary some.

Next time, we should buy refrigerators made in America, like GE.

Oops, Electrolux is buying GE Appliances. I wonder how long it will be until their manufacturing is moved off-shore?

cableties
Premium Member

cableties

Premium Member

Click for full size
Had Sears out. He said, nothing wrong other than the way its made. Doors are aligned best. Either we can replace the fridge or its normal (from what he's seen). He looked at fridge, checked the doors. Nothing seems misaligned, door heights correct. But the gasket, he was like, "it's a good seal, no dripping, leakage". he said he's seen it on others. He thought either that during assembly, chassis got torqued as it (he demonstrated the design and flex) could be alignment. Or Juan of Packaging put too much effort in packing up thing.
He was here all of 10 minutes. His only comment was, "sure is in there tight".

BTW-my floor is flat, I leveled front-back side side with a wee bit more pitch back (1/2 instead of 1/4... diy is a pita)

Here is top down shot I took... straight down... right is freezer, left is the questionable fridge door gasket.

(update) Frigidaire got back to me so I will include this picture to see what they say. I might ask if they can send replacement gasket (to determine if manufacturing defect or assembly).

In agreement, appliances not like they used to be. Oh well, the next owner can deal with it...if I can't.
harald
Columbus, OH

harald

Well, mine looks a bit like that, not nearly as bad.

The force against the gasket is determined by the front-to-back tilt and the weight of food in the door. You might gain a little by reducing the tilt.

I guess it's what we both get for buying a 'fridge made in Mexico by who knows working for a subsidiary of a subsidiary of a Swedish company. Pays to ask, I didn't.

cableties
Premium Member

cableties

Premium Member

Swedish Fridge, Offices in Canada and NC, Assembled in Mexico with parts from China.

BTW, I unloaded the door (nothing inside). No change. This flaw is functional!

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Go to a store that has them and see if the floor model looks like yours.

I have a Whirlpool Gold side by side and the freezer and refrigerator doors are dead even in all planes. ( I believe Frigidaire and Whirlpool are the same company. )
harald
Columbus, OH

harald

Thank heavens - Whirlpool is still a real company. They recently acquired Maytag, and a number of other brands including Kitchen Aide.

Electrolux may be a good company, but they have sure acquired their share of good 'ole USA brands. Presently negotiating for GE Appliances.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by harald:

Thank heavens - Whirlpool is still a real company. They recently acquired Maytag, and a number of other brands including Kitchen Aide.

Electrolux may be a good company, but they have sure acquired their share of good 'ole USA brands. Presently negotiating for GE Appliances.

How can this be allowed? But how can you just buy up all those brands without anyone talking about anti competition laws?

cableties
Premium Member

1 edit

cableties

Premium Member

Click for full size
This is correct!
Partial SUCCESS!

But first, I received an email (at work) from Frigidaire NA support that they were "sorry" to hear of my experience and to contact a Frigidaire Service provider (links in the email). ... I had asked for new seals incase this was a defect. (I would have to contact the Frigidaire repair... pita)

So after getting home and having a cold one, I thought, the seal comes off easily, what if I flip it, as if it was installed upside down (maybe there is an installation issue).

See pict above. I pulled the seal out of the fridge-side door channel (very carefully but easily).
Then re-oriented the bottom to top, and then, re-inserted the seal around from the bottom of the door up. Takes a bit of clever pushing closest to the inside to get the seal seated. Doors now flush! Or atleast much better... and bottom is even too.

(Update--partial success...seems the hinge-side isn't sealed, can see inside and can't resolve. I put it back the way it originally was...its a bad seal)

I will call service on Monday for new seals.