uniqs

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro

Re: Not a day too soon... they won't be missed.

So my assumption here is that you do indeed have some form of mass email. Well guess what? A user did mark you as spam and therefore the algo kicked in and flagged you. The same idiot user might of opted in to your mailing list and never unsubscribed. Is it my fault that your users are to dumb to unsubscribe correctly? I shouldn't have my organization flood with emails because some idiot admin thinks he knows better and all email from that server should be received.

Your issue is your configuration. You could setup a separate SMTP dedicated for mass email within your organization with it's own IP and subdomain for mass email.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

No, I should not have to go to extra length to make sure my email has better odds of not being flagged by some retards who would gladly unblock me in exchange for a ransom. I don't have to put a priority mail with actual delivery stsmp on my envelopes.
And no, there was no mass email whatsoever. NONE.
I will gladly volunteer to pull the plug on any of these services.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

What kind of "ransom" are we talking about here?

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

No, my company's mail server got blacklisted for weeks with no reason and no recourse and I (as a network admin) was caught in the middle. And my ISP at the time (OOL) got blacklisted .....

I too have a similar setup for personal/family/friends use. Also with OOL. I have a business account with a fixed and properly RDNS'd IP address. I have never had a problem receiving mail from any legitimate source. And that, with heavy spam and firewall blocking to avoid spam and virus sources.

Also bear in mind that SMTP is an "UNRELIABLE" transport. There is not even a semblance of a delivery guarantee.
said by cowboyro:

Blocking everyone is an approach only retards take.

I agree, but on the flip-side, not blocking known spam spewing networks (not "EVERYBODY") is inviting these scum to dominate your mail server, especially a small private system like we both run.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to cowboyro

MVM

to cowboyro
Your issue isn't with Spamcop. The problem is the idiot mail admins who block based on an SCBL listing. Last time I checked, SC recommends against blocking:
quote:
We recommend that when using any spam filtering method, users be given access to the filtered mail - don't block the mail as documented here, but store it in a separate mailbox. Or tag it and provide users documentation so that they can filter based on the tags in their own MUA.

»www.spamcop.net/fom-serv ··· 291.html

I tested the SCBL, along with others, for a period when I first set up my server; tagging only. In the end SPEWS (now defunct) was useless, Spamcop had enough false positives that I only used SCBL hits for scoring; only Spamhaus was sufficiently reliable to trust for blocking (and even they should probably just be used in "scoring" mode for a service with an eclectic user base).

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

1 edit

2 recommendations

rebus9 to cowboyro

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

Better allow 1000 spams than block a single legitimate one.

Clearly written by someone who is not an email admin.

Rule #1: Email delivery is imperfect.
Rule #2: Never rely on email for critical communication, due to Rule #1.

Millions of emails have been lost over time due to spool issues, disk failures, and clueless/careless admins. If you cannot afford to lose a piece of email, then you need to followup the SEND button with a phone call to verify receipt.

Or send via fax (which is also imperfect).

Or use FedEx (which is also imperfect).

I bet there's hardly a person alive who WOULDN'T trade one missing email for a 1000 spam reduction.

Oh BTW, Spamhaus doesn't BLOCK email. They only provide lists of bad-sender IPs. It's up to the receiving admin how the inbound spam filters are configured.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

LOl a little off topic. But i like many use to use icq. And i fired it up one day after like 5 years of not using it. I get a icq from a friend from about 7 years before. Now this was when i was online 24/7 and icq was also on. I never got that message when it was originally sent. But did get it seven years after the fact. Ive seen postal mail arive years and years after being sent etc but electronic mail/messages. And here i thought icq was a instant messenger hehe. .

Never trust email will reach the person it is being sent to never trust that a txt message will ever arrive. If you rely on these things for communication you could end up divorced like i am sure has happened over a missed date or other such thing do to a txt or email not arriving. Think it is unlikely heres a thought

husband email> wife "hey honey i ran in to a old friend and his wife their car broke down and they needed a place to stay so i gave them my hotel room. Meet me at my other friends house at 111 somedumb st just down the road" instead of the hotel." wife comes to meet him but never got the email or txt ither works. She goes to his hotel room knocks and his friends wife answers the door in a robe. Now like many of us he does not tend to save sent emails or txts. So his wife now thinks and can not be convinced other wise that he is cheating on her.

Email txts etc should never be trusted as first line of communication. They as you said can fail for countless reasons.

Jobs get lost break ups happen etc because of to much faith being put in email and txt. There is a reason why mega corps still use good old fasion paper memos along side internal emails. You may get the email faster and sooner than the paper memo. But if something happens that the email never hits your inbox you will get the paper one some time after. Any company that is not using paper memos is ran by foolish people.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

1 recommendation

rebus9

said by Nanaki:

LOl a little off topic. But i like many use to use icq. And i fired it up one day after like 5 years of not using it. I get a icq from a friend from about 7 years before. Now this was when i was online 24/7 and icq was also on. I never got that message when it was originally sent. But did get it seven years after the fact. Ive seen postal mail arive years and years after being sent etc but electronic mail/messages. And here i thought icq was a instant messenger hehe. .

As a systems admin, I've seen messages stick in outbound queues for no apparent reason. Either they failed to send at all, or they exceeded the retries but were never bounced back to the sender as undeliverable.

Restarting the spool re-queues them and out they go. On Windows systems that are patched and rebooted monthly, this isn't nearly as big an issue as Unix/Linux mail servers that go months or years between reboots.

Hence, rule #1 that I mentioned earlier. Email delivery is pretty reliable, but certainly not perfect.