spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kam31uf
join:2014-08-11
US

kam31uf

will an iNid install help?

Forgive my complete lack of understanding to start.

My house was recently wired for Uverse cable and internet. The internet works fine.
The cable however has issues like freezing for a few seconds or pixelating, it seems worse in rain storms. After the install we notified them of the issue and we were told our house shouldn't have ever been allowed to have the service. Their suggestion is to install a iNid.

I can tell you there are several houses leading up to, and including my next door neighbor, that utilize Uverse. Our loop length is too long is what we've been told.

Can anyone tell me in basic terms what the iNid will do and the likelihood of it working?

Thanks!

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

iNIDs are, or should I say, were used to replace the NID box on the side of the house. The chief reason that an INID was used is because it can bond two physical loops or VDSL lines and have the total amount of bandwidth spread across both lines.

Policy has recently changed in AT&T and I believe that the INID isn't used anymore and has since been replaced with the Motorola NVG589. It will be placed in the house much like the 3800/3801 RG but supports pair bonding like the INID.

Note: I don't work for AT&T, I'm just a uVerse customer that's very well versed in much of the details behind uVerse.
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

As for the reason why your line has issues when it's raining it's probably because your drop line has probably been some squirrel's dinner and that it needs to be replaced.
kam31uf
US

kam31uf to trparky

to trparky
Thanks for the update! I'll be sure to inquire when I speak to the tech mgr later today. Does this solution seem to fix issues?

Also I know some sort of wire in my yard was recently replaced, I'll be sure to ask about that as well.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

said by kam31uf:

Thanks for the update! I'll be sure to inquire when I speak to the tech mgr later today. Does this solution seem to fix issues?

Also I know some sort of wire in my yard was recently replaced, I'll be sure to ask about that as well.

A lot of it depends on what your actual distance is and/or what shape the cable is in. It seems like you're hitting the ceiling of what your pair is able to handle. The solution is to utilize two pairs... In Laymen's Terms you'll be using 50% of two pair vs 100% of a single pair.
kam31uf
US

kam31uf

I have learned they already use a Motorola NVG589 in my house and they want to move the modem to the outside of my house to shorten the length the signal travels. Not thrilled with them attaching something else to the outside of my house.

Also a tech is supposed to come examine and fix this outside line that's causing disruptions.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to kam31uf

Premium Member

to kam31uf
Go to 192.168.1.254 in your browser and you will get to the homepage of your NVG589. Then click on the Broadband tab for the browser. Post a screenshot of that page here so we can see what your line stats look like. That will give us a much better feel for what's going on. What Internet speed are you signed up for? How many televisions do you have on the system?

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

They do not use the iNID anymore, they use the NVG589 instead. They may have to make a new run from the NID to the NVG589 but honestly the 40 or 50 feet of additional wire won't really make any difference.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by trparky:

but honestly the 40 or 50 feet of additional wire won't really make any difference.

There's always the chance that the wiring could be bad inside the home.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Yeah, but a proper installation would have replaced that wiring.
premtrekker
join:2014-06-23
canada

premtrekker

Even a 589 on iffy wiring would probably run better than the god awful iNIDs.

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

said by premtrekker:

Even a 589 on iffy wiring would probably run better than the god awful iNIDs.

After hacking around with one you may actually be surprised how robust they actually are too.
kam31uf
US

kam31uf to Msradell

to Msradell
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here are the screen shots of the broadband report.
Had another tech out here this weekend. He said that the wiring has been replaced and that my connection at the box on the house was good. He went to a bigger box in the neighborhood and said he put me on a different computer card that can handle my distance. He said it could be broadband issue. He also mentioned moving the modem outside would make no difference.
kam31uf

kam31uf

3 tvs and MaxPlus Internet

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

I would have them check for other line faults such as a bad ground, bridge taps, or bad splices. I think there's something still not right with your lines.