WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Robin Williams dead

said by Davesnothere:

I'm also curious as to how the late-night show hosts initially reacted last night (if they knew at taping time), or will tonight (if they did not).

Most of them were his peers, and in many cases also good friends.

I saw on the news this morning a clip of Conan O'Brian making the announcement on his show...

»www.people.com/article/c ··· ath-live

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· MrjDasBk

Been going through some early skits.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee
said by WhaleOilBee:

I saw on the news this morning a clip of Conan O'Brian making the announcement on his show...

Letterman was a rerun last night. I couldn't stay awake for the other two so I don't know what was said (if anything).

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by mr weather:

Letterman was a rerun last night....

The 1-hour shows all tape in the late afternoon or suppertime, local time, AFAIK.

Letterman & Fallon are each in NYC, so they would not have been as on top of current news, even if last night's shows were new.

Conan, Craig Ferguson, and Jimmy Kimmel each tape on the West coast, so they would have 3 more hours to catch late-breaking items to include.

The Jon Stewart Daily Show is in NYC, I think, and The Colbert Report, not sure.

I have not yet watched Late Night with Seth Myers (the fellow who replaced Fallon), and do not know on which coast his show is being produced.

Fallon, Myers, and Conan were new shows last night.

Letterman, Ferguson, Stewart, and Kimmel were reruns.

Usually this status is decided in advance, week by week, and the same looks to be true for tonight.

Colbert - did not see him on the Cogeco grid.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to jaberi

to jaberi
Best ever. »vdownload.eu/watch/67227 ··· ams.html

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Conan, Craig Ferguson, and Jimmy Kimmel each tape on the West coast, so they would have 3 more hours to catch late-breaking items to include.

Conan did this tribute. Apparently the news came out during his taping

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· NPZm5WEI

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It wasn't so much a tribute as it was Conan being completely stunned by the news and trying to keep himself together. The proper tributes will come later.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to BGB

Premium Member

to BGB
said by BGB:

Conan did this tribute. Apparently the news came out during his taping.
(youtube clip)

Yes, I got that impression too.

BTW, the page at WhaleOilBee's earlier upthread link also had that clip.
said by Gone:

It wasn't so much a tribute as it was Conan being completely stunned by the news and trying to keep himself together. The proper tributes will come later.

And Conan DID use the word 'stunned' in his comments.

Good thing he had Andy & their guest sitting there to share the shock.

Yes, soon we will have each show pumping their archives for clips, as Robin was a popular guest on pretty well ALL of them.

When David Letterman returns from his time off, he'll be more prepared, but still teary-eyed, I expect.

Dave likes to have fellow celebs on his show to talk about their heart surgeries, ever since he had one himself, and that included Robin, as well as former Pres Clinton.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

I'm also curious as to how the late-night show hosts initially reacted last night (if they knew at taping time), or will tonight (if they did not).

If you mean David Letterman and Jimmy Fallon they were both repeats.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

Chevy Chase......... "Robin and I were great friends, suffering from the same little-known disease: depression. I never could have expected this ending to his life, and to ours with him. God bless him and God bless us all for his LIFE! I cannot believe this. I am overwhelmed with grief. What a wonderful man/boy and what a tremendous talent in the most important art of any time - comedy! I loved him."

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
May the Lord rest his soul in that big 'ol comedy club in the sky. Amen.

SoSad
@66.249.83.x

SoSad to jaberi

Anon

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

Actor-comedian Robin Williams was found dead on Monday at his home in Northern California from an apparent suicide, the Marin County Sheriff's Office said. He was 63.

»www.cbc.ca/news/arts/rob ··· .2733770
-------------------------------------------------------------------

RIP Robin

It was announced today he hung himself:
»www.freep.com/article/20 ··· -details
jaberi

jaberi

"There was also evidence, Boyd said, of superficial wounds on the inside of Williams' left wrist. A pocket knife was found nearby."

"As the investigation is still active, Lt. Boyd would not discuss whether there was a suicide note left at the scene. He did say, however, that information indicated Williams had been in treatment for depression. Toxicology tests will determine whether he had any chemical substances in his system."
System

to jaberi

Anon

to jaberi

(topic move) Robin Williams dead

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[Lauren Bacall dead at 89]

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

2 edits

shaner to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

said by shaner:

I hope the official cause of Robin Williams' death is listed as depression instead of suicide. It's time we recognize depression kills.

Errm, I think everybody recognizes that suicidal people often suffer from depression...

»www.kansascity.com/enter ··· 623.html
quote:
During Fox's coverage, while talking about Williams' family and daughter, Zelda, (Shepard) Smith appeared to be angry when he referred to her as "one of the children he so loved, one of the children grieving tonight. Because their father killed himself in a fit of depression.

"It's hard to imagine, isn't it? You could love three little things so much, watch them grow, they're in their mid-20s, and they're inspiring you, and exciting you, and they fill you up with the kind of joy you could never have known.

"And yet, something inside you is so horrible or you're such a coward or whatever the reason that you decide that you have to end it. Robin Williams, at 63, did that today."

No, people don't get it.

Edit: rant time.

Yes, Mr. Smith, Williams probably did love his daughter very, very much. In fact, I really have no doubt of that. Did he feel she loved him? Or, more likely, he felt he was to blame for whatever challenges were in her life. I can hear the voices now. "I couldn't stay married to her mother. I just lost my job and I won't be able to give her what she wants. I won't ever be able to make her happy. She won't love me anymore." Nevermind that her mother made out like a bandit in the divorce settlement and is set for life.

Suicide is rarely about ending a difficult situation. It's about believing you have failed every important person in your life and that you are unworthy of their love.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by shaner:

Suicide is rarely about ending a difficult situation. It's about believing you have failed every important person in your life and that you are unworthy of their love.

1+

-----

Shepard Smith has already apologized, as has Todd Bridges for similar comments.

SoSad
@76.68.116.x

1 edit

SoSad to shaner

Anon

to shaner
He will surely be missed, I cant believe no one has said this yet,, nanu nanu - if you know what this means you grew up watching Robin Williams

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by SoSad :

He will surely be missed, I cant believe no one has said this yet,, nanu nanu - if you know what this means you grew up watching Robin Williams

One Word sums it up : Shazbot !

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo ··· 26_Mindy

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Its hard to imagine that one who brought such joy, to so many people, could battle so many demons. I guess, in the end, the demons won. It was not so much his death that stunned me, but the tragic way he died. Depression is widespread illness that afflicts so many and has such a stigma attached, that people are reluctant to admit to the problem. It could affect your marriage, job promotions, friends, relatives. A Star like Robin Williams, who lived in constant spotlight, must have found it exceedingly difficult to seek solace anywhere.
RIP
Expand your moderator at work
jaberi

jaberi to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Jimmy Fallon's tribute to Robin Williams

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Jxw#t=20
jaberi

jaberi

Ben Affleck and Matt Damon pay homage to friend and co-star Robin Williams

»www.dailymail.co.uk/tvsh ··· AIz4TETn

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 recommendation

ZZZZZZZ to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
ZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZ to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi

Robin Williams had Parkinsons

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/world ··· 28796277

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

CBC mentioned this too, during the daytime, and again, just now on The National.

Also, he had maintained his sobriety, said his wife in the same statement.

Apparently, Michael J. Fox has commented already today, after learning about this.
jaberi

jaberi

Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Robin Williams funeral

The extremist Westboro Baptist Church plans on topping off a steady stream of hateful tweets against Robin Williams by picketing his funeral.

»www.torontosun.com/2014/ ··· -funeral

........................................................................................................
the people at WBC are complete wingnuts....... their time would be better spent loving their neighbors rather than promoting hate.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Their fearless leader Fred Phelps died earlier this year. Hopefully he's rotting in hell.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Not a positive prognoses however it is not necessary a death sentence, but that sort of news can be devastating. Its unfortunate he didn't reach out for help, counseling or anything because there are many support groups out there.
Thane_Bitter

Thane_Bitter to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket Robin Williams funeral

How ironic, the very group of people that SHOULD kill themselves.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

group of people that SHOULD kill themselves

SIR. I have lost all respect for you. This is the VERY REASON there is so much hatred and evil in this world of ours... We need to be RESPECTFUL of others views and choices.

/End