JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

JC_

Premium Member

"FASTER" Trans-Pacific Internet

August 11, 2014 – A consortium of six global companies announced that they have signed commercial agreements to build and operate a new Trans-Pacific cable system to be called “FASTER” with NEC Corporation as the system supplier. The FASTER cable network will connect the United States to two landing locations in Japan. The total amount of investment for the FASTER system is estimated to be approximately USD $300 million.

»www.nec.com/en/press/201 ··· _01.html

Not 100% related to Canadian Broadband but I'm sure that it would definitely help out with transfer between Canada and Asia as well.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

Cute... I see what they did there, they named the cable itself 'FASTER"... they took a marketing note from the folks a Bell who named their Internet service "FIBE"...

Megadeth5150
Big in Japan
Premium Member
join:2004-12-31
Japan Inc.

Megadeth5150 to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
Kudos to them.
I might want to upgrade my connection from 200/100Mbps to 1Gbps (symmetrical)
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to JC_

MVM

to JC_
quote:
Contract has been awarded to NEC to build new 60Tb/s system expected to be ready-for-service during the second quarter of 2016
...seeya in 2016!
quote:
FASTER will feature the latest high-quality 6-fiber-pair cable and optical transmission technologies, with an initial design capacity of 60Tb/s (100Gb/s x 100 wavelengths x 6 fiber-pairs).
*drooooooools*

...but ping will still suck, right? [/sarcasm]

Regards