Search similar:

uniqs

JoshNHS
@24.29.236.x

JoshNHS

Anon

[Internet] Strange issue with my internet - Cleveland, OH

Issue -

I experience brief disruptions of service all of the time, sometimes it entirely disconnects for a few seconds, other times it just goes slowly for 30-60 seconds and resumes normal speeds. Currently, i am paying for 30mbps down/ 10 up(As far as i remember this is correct, though the upload speed may be a bit higher).

Some info -

I'm using a modem(Motorola surfboard6580)

If you need more info let me know.

Thanks a lot for even just reading through all of this, hopefully we can get my issue resolved.
JoshNHS

JoshNHS

Anon

Nevermind on the upload speed, my current plan is for 30mbps down/5mbps up

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev to JoshNHS

Anon

to JoshNHS
Hello! Try using NameBench and an alternate DNS. TWC has always had issues providing carrier-grade DNS in Ohio.

Also, if you suspect issues with wireless specifically, maybe disable it and temporarily use a separate WiFi access point. You might have a lemon Moto.

Please report back and good luck!

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to JoshNHS

to JoshNHS
hmm what part of cleveland are you in? when did TWC upgrade to 860MHz in Cleveland? interesting that they have DOCSIS channels that high there. In Dallas we only go as high as 813MHz for DOCSIS.

JoshNHS
@24.29.236.x

JoshNHS

Anon

said by motorola870:

hmm what part of cleveland are you in? when did TWC upgrade to 860MHz in Cleveland? interesting that they have DOCSIS channels that high there. In Dallas we only go as high as 813MHz for DOCSIS.

It's nearby cleveland, to be exact, willowick.

The issue is not with the wireless, i have a direct connection.

I believe i'm currently using googles DNS.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by JoshNHS :

said by motorola870:

It's nearby cleveland, to be exact, willowick.

The issue is not with the wireless, i have a direct connection.

I believe i'm currently using googles DNS.

thanks I guess TWC upgraded the cleveland area systems so they could move the DOCSIS channels out of the 99MHz to 117MHz range?

fasdf
@76.190.236.x

fasdf

Anon

On the west side here. For the past few weeks I have also had a ton of issues. Like clockwork every single afternoon my internet goes out completely for about half an hour. Also a lot of random slow downs and outages that last a few minutes at a time.

Still better than WOW was when I left last year.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

hmm does anyone else in Cleveland show DOCSIS channels in the 800MHz range? I would love to know? I heard rumblings years ago that Mentor Ohio was 860MHz but I never could confirm.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks

Mentor is part of Cleveland they are the former NEO/WPA before they became TWC Midwest.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

1 edit

motorola870

said by ITGeeks:

Mentor is part of Cleveland they are the former NEO/WPA before they became TWC Midwest.

hmm no Mentor was a Comcast system and Cleveland has parts that were Adelphia prior to the Adelphia split up in 2006. TWC came in and took away the Motorola cable boxes that Elyria and Mentor used I can remember for sure and they did it for the former Adelphia areas as well. even the FCC still mentions Cleveland City and the Mentor area as 2 different systems I believe there are 3 different clusters that make up Northeast Ohio besides the Franklin PA system that is kind of all by itself. no I was wondering if anyone if Cleveland Proper has DOCSIS channels in 800MHz range I don't know but I believe some areas had them in the 600MHz range while Cleveland Proper had them in the 99MHz to 117MHz range up until recently. I was just wondering if TWC upgraded all of NEO to 860MHz or just used the open frequencies in that one area that was upgraded to 860MHz by Comcast or At&t Broadband years ago.
xcrunner529
join:2010-08-05
Columbus, OH

xcrunner529

So there was an official merging and there's no longer an NEO division? That's were my parents are and it's the worst division. Always was the last to implement stuff. Probably still is. I'm in columbus, myself.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by xcrunner529:

So there was an official merging and there's no longer an NEO division? That's were my parents are and it's the worst division. Always was the last to implement stuff. Probably still is. I'm in columbus, myself.

no there is still a NEO division nothing has changed yet. Comcast used to own a very small patch of systems in the Cleveland area and it mainly was Elyria and Mentor and apparently Mentor was 860MHz during the cutover to Scientific Atlanta boxes when TWC took over. The merging of systems I am meaning by is they merged all of the various ex Adelphia, ex Comcast, legacy TWC systems in NEO to about 3 clusters as Mentor OH is a different system than Cleveland City proper and Akron is its own cluster and it is tied in with Youngstown etc.

I am just curious could someone from Cleveland proper post their DOCSIS screenshot? I would love to see if the channels moved to the 600MHz range or 800MHz range? It may mean TWC upgraded NEO to support more channels and eventually something like 16x4 bonding that may not happen until Charter takes over if the deal goes through.
speedyd718
join:2014-01-30
Cleveland, OH

speedyd718

I'm not in Cleveland proper, but I am pretty close in S. Euclid. Some time in the last 24hrs my modem went 6x1, and the channels are in the range you noted (681-735 Mhz).

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by speedyd718:

I'm not in Cleveland proper, but I am pretty close in S. Euclid. Some time in the last 24hrs my modem went 6x1, and the channels are in the range you noted (681-735 Mhz).

hmm thanks just wondering though lol! it would help if TWC did upgrade all of the Cleveland system to 860MHz instead of having certain hubs upgraded it makes a mess of a system to keep up bandwidth planning wise and certain areas likely will have wasted bandwidth in the upper 800MHz range due to certain hubs only being 750MHz lol!

it would be nice if everyone in the Cleveland area could post their DOCSIS signal stats lol! am just curious becuase I went to the FCC coals database which has a lot of info about cable systems and it actually breaks down the system by each system and which cities or hubs are fed off of it and apparently the cleveland system is a mess as they have former Adelphia and former Comcast systems tied together google maps showed Magnavox, Motorola, and Cisco/Scientific Atlanta amps being used throughout the Clevelend metro system lol :P

this would help shed some light as to why NEO never gets anything in HD lol! except for maybe major adds. You guys aren't even getting the SEC network in HD in ohio I feel the pain a lot too today TWC added the PAC12 regional feeds but they are all in SD when they could have added them in HD but chose not to.
motorola870

motorola870 to JoshNHS

to JoshNHS
said by JoshNHS :

Issue -

I experience brief disruptions of service all of the time, sometimes it entirely disconnects for a few seconds, other times it just goes slowly for 30-60 seconds and resumes normal speeds. Currently, i am paying for 30mbps down/ 10 up(As far as i remember this is correct, though the upload speed may be a bit higher).

Some info -

I'm using a modem(Motorola surfboard6580)

If you need more info let me know.

Thanks a lot for even just reading through all of this, hopefully we can get my issue resolved.

do you have an amplifier on the line? If it so it is probably amplifying the noise on 837MHz and 843MHz. There should be no reason why you have 41dB that high up I have SNR in the 36dB range in the low 800MHz range. there probably is a problem with the line if you are having to amplify it or just that the amplifier is not needed if you have one.

JoshNHS
@24.29.236.x

JoshNHS

Anon

said by user=motorola870 :

do you have an amplifier on the line? If it so it is probably amplifying the noise on 837MHz and 843MHz. There should be no reason why you have 41dB that high up I have SNR in the 36dB range in the low 800MHz range. there probably is a problem with the line if you are having to amplify it or just that the amplifier is not needed if you have one.

I don't believe i do, but could you further explain what you mean by an amplifier, perhaps an image or something.

The cable line going to the back of the modem is connected to a box right outside of my room(I drilled a hole)

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by JoshNHS :

said by user=motorola870 :

I don't believe i do, but could you further explain what you mean by an amplifier, perhaps an image or something.

The cable line going to the back of the modem is connected to a box right outside of my room(I drilled a hole)

I mean a drop amplifier which looks like this:
»www.antronix.net/Product ··· iers&i=5

I have one of these at my home but I am literally near the end of the line lol! I think there are like 10 houses after mine and then the line ends or I two houses from the end of the amplifier cascade of the node that I am on. I believe my neighborhood is split between two nodes.
»www.antronix.net/Product ··· iers&i=5

hey did your DOCSIS channels used to be in the 105MHz to 123MHz range?
motorola870

motorola870

hmm just looking at google maps looks like Cleveland proper may already be 860MHz as of 2011. I don't know if they upgraded surrounding areas but Cleveland proper uses 860MHz amplifiers already.
motorola870

motorola870 to speedyd718

to speedyd718
said by speedyd718:

can you post a screenshot?
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to motorola870

to motorola870
You've got that a bit backwards. Higher SNR = better, that is, less noise.

In any case cable modems do not measure SNR. The figure they report is based upon the percentage of correctable errors they see.
mgeyman8
join:2006-11-11
Cleveland, OH

mgeyman8 to motorola870

to motorola870
I'm in South Euclid as well. Attached is my screenshot I just took a few minutes ago.
mgeyman8

mgeyman8

Click for full size
gnormal
join:2009-02-27

gnormal to JoshNHS

to JoshNHS
Hey JoshNHS,
I had a similar issue on TWC- Are you running any online backup programs like Crashplan, etc?

I've found on TWC that it cannot handle the upload channels being saturated. In my case, a backup would kick in and saturate the line and poof- No access. Try turning off online backups if you are using one as a test... Good luck.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj to JoshNHS

to JoshNHS
Pardon the "necro" reply, but...

I just got Standard (15/1) installed this past Thursday in Brook Park. My Motorola SB6141 is currently bonding 6 downstream channels in the 681-735 MHz range and 3 upstream channels in the 25-34.4 MHz range. It's not bonding to downstream channels 3 and 4 for some reason. I was getting 8x2 bonding on WOW with this modem.

When I was with TWC before switching to WOW about 3 years ago, the Cisco DPC2100 I leased used the 111 MHz channel but later changed to 117 MHz after experiencing some issues while on the 111 MHz channel.
Expand your moderator at work