Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

[Hardware] AT&T buying a new phone from a third party

I'm thinking about buying this phone and simply putting my current SIM card in it. I had been looking on AT&T's website at their phones, but every phone I chose told me I needed to upgrade my voice plan.

If I buy this phone will I be able to keep my current plan and not pay the $40 upgrade fee, or will AT&T lock me out and prevent me from using it? To switch plans would cost me an extra $25 per month. Over a 2 year period I would pay an extra $600 which is more than this phone would cost me without a contract.

Jim Gurd
Premium
Livonia, MI
One other thing. I ultimately want to root this phone and put Cyanogenmod on it. Going to their website it looks like I should be able to. Are there any possible issues I may have trying to do this?

My current phone (HTC Inspire/Desire) is running an old version of Cyanogenmod and I like it. That's why I want to put the new version on my new phone.

sgarrand
Insert Witty Phrase Here
Premium
join:2000-04-13
West Brookfield, MA
reply to Jim Gurd
You shouldn't have any issues putting CM on this phone. It is carrier unlocked but most likely not bootloader unlocked. I don't think you even have to pay an upgrade fee if you slap your SIM in another phone. You don't even need to call AT&T for that. It should just work.

Scott

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
Even if they do charge you a fee I always use chat or call in and politely explain I have been a customer for years, love the service and ask if they could waive it. They usually remove it from my bill or credit me an additional $40.

Jim Gurd
Premium
Livonia, MI
reply to sgarrand
said by sgarrand:

You don't even need to call AT&T for that. It should just work.

I hope you're right. The last time I got a phone it was a refurbished model that I ordered on AT&T's website. I had an unlimited data plan and 200 texts plan. The phone wouldn't work for data until I "upgraded" my data plan for an extra $20 per month. AT&T was blocking the phone until I did. Was this because they had the IMEI number in their database?

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
that htc one will have to be bootloader unlocked on the HTCDEV.com site and the serial is flagged and they will not repair the phone under warrenty. All htc phones ship with the bootloader locked so you have to goto htcdev.com. Hell the nexus 5 ships with its bootloader locked you have to go thru the steps to unlock it.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to Jim Gurd
unless you have to have a new device goto swappa.com and look there you can save money on the one M7 that way to. Heck I'm getting ready to sell a one m8 on there. Im s-off and rooted with viper rom.

Jim Gurd
Premium
Livonia, MI
Thanks. I'm going to check out both of those sites.