Search similar:

uniqs
Ontarionet
join:2005-07-05
Guelph, ON

Ontarionet

Cable internet: who to go with?

Start? VMedia? Someone else?

Teksavvy's customer service has deteriorated. I am wondering what to do - any advice?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Hi there,

I responded to your thread on the TekSavvy Forum. (»[Cable] Is Teksavvy going downhill?)

Thanks,

Andre

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to Ontarionet

to Ontarionet
At this particular point in time, if your in a territory served by Videotron, they are the one to go with.

As much as I may hate it, they currently have the best deals.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to Ontarionet

to Ontarionet
Start.ca

Read their reviews on here....

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

start.ca for sure.
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio to Ontarionet

to Ontarionet
I don't normally chime in on these threads, but I must vote for Start.ca as well

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

2 recommendations

MFido to Ontarionet

to Ontarionet
What about paying your bills 1st?

KPaul
join:2007-02-08

1 recommendation

KPaul

What he said. See the thread Andre posted
said by MFido:

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by KPaul:

What he said. See the thread Andre posted

said by MFido:

I'm sure it was embarrassing enough to have to call TSI once the failure to pay resulted in the service cancellation. People do tend to colour a scenario in their favour when something like that happens. It's embarrassing FFS. Doesn't matter who you're with. No pay = no internet.

It does not change the fact that the OP wasn't happy with the way it was dealt with by TSI, for whatever reason, and the blanket statement of "Teksavvy's customer service has deteriorated" seems to be the consensus around here. To be fair, I called TSI first when I quit Cogeco and I gave up waiting on hold at the 50 minute mark to place the order. Start had my order finalized and my CC info 10 minutes later.

So instead of jumping on the OP about paying bills, given they're probably living paycheque to paycheque like everybody else, I'd just jump in and say yeah, Start Communications is the way to go.

Mike

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

As a small business owner, I call bullshit on that, TSI has bills to pay too, from the sounds of the post from the OP and Andre, TSI has had this issue with the OP for years, if the OP can't afford to pay his internet bill on time, perhaps a basic connection will be better afforded.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to MFido

to MFido
said by MFido:

+1 You're probably better off with the incumbent, they're much more lenient when it comes to delinquency.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

As a small business owner, I call bullshit on that, TSI has bills to pay too, from the sounds of the post from the OP and Andre, TSI has had this issue with the OP for years, if the OP can't afford to pay his internet bill on time, perhaps a basic connection will be better afforded.

I also note TSI - not above nor in the posted link to the other forum defending themselves by calling down a customer's payment woes - did they thank him for his years of business, despite the payment missteps. Pathetic.

As a [:cough:] small business owner what is your view on that?

said by yyzlhr:

+1 You're probably better off with the incumbent, they're much more lenient when it comes to delinquency.

Delinquency? Man. You guys are too much. He's not $45000 behind in child support payments. You guys never missed a payment? Ever? On anything? What... Teksavvy provides 100% guaranteed uptime or something? Gimme a break. You guys. Jeez.

Mike

My2Cents
@24.53.242.x

My2Cents to Ontarionet

Anon

to Ontarionet
I'm with Start.ca and love it. For my parents, I sign them up with TekSavvy with no issues what so ever.

I'd say look at both and pick the package/price that's best for you. For me, Start.ca was best and for my parents' needs, TekSavvy was best.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

OP should also note, not all of the providers will be as easy going as TSI is about payments.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

1 recommendation

bbbc to Ontarionet

to Ontarionet
said by dillyhammer :

and the blanket statement of "Teksavvy's customer service has deteriorated" seems to be the consensus around here.

Speak for yourself. TSI isn't perfect being the largest IISP in Canada, but I wouldn't go with anyone else at this point. Marc (and formally his brother) have continually fought the fight. Not knocking Start, but I haven't seen their checkbook open for legal fees. Start also is very provincial, where TSI has a footprint throughout the country.

did they thank him for his years of business, despite the payment missteps. Pathetic

So TSI needs to stroke their end-user's ego?

You seem to dislike TekSavvy as much as I can't stand the Mexican company by the name of VoIP.ms.
simsin0
join:2008-01-06

simsin0

+1

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

Not knocking Start, but I haven't seen their checkbook open for legal fees.

TSI has absolutely done a great job with this sort of stuff especially before CNOC, and since as well of course, but we too have certainly opened our cheque book through CNOC, as well as directly on files where some extra cash was needed to make sure we could properly represent our industry and also through my personal involvement as CNOC reg chair -- and with all the files active, believe me it's a _lot_ of time.

I'm not asking for a cookie or anything, just pointing out that the comment about Start not contributing to improving competitive access for Canadians is definitely not accurate.
Ontarionet
Guelph, ON

Ontarionet to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
I just want to thank you Mike for not joining in on the barage.

I made some mistakes. I wanted to set up for automatic payments and will in the future - for early payments. But, Teksavvy DID say they tried to call but they have an old number. I didn't recognize the last four digits they mentioned. I thought they had current numbers since I have called in last Winter when they were having tech. issues (stemming from Rogers maintenance or something like that). I'm sure they would have asked for a current number during those calls. I have no idea why they didn't have either my cell or landline number.

That's neither here nor there as I should have had bank payments on time, I know. Some of their replies, I don't like, just the same, though. I should have changed the email address used, too. There's too much there now. Oh well. I won't worry about future payments next time since I'll set up online banking for payment on time.

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers to Ontarionet

Anon

to Ontarionet
said by Ontarionet:

Start? VMedia? Someone else?

Teksavvy's customer service has deteriorated. I am wondering what to do - any advice?

Start.ca

They are now what TSI was before it got bloated and big and ball dropping.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

You seem to dislike TekSavvy

When I quit Cogeco, before I called Start I called Teksavvy. I gave up at the 50 minute mark on hold waiting to place an order. Ten minutes later my order with Start was finalized with CC info.

Teksavvy is a great company, and a great Canadian story. But there customer service and support has struggled in recent times and it shows. I've seen posts from Teksavvy themselves acknowledging this and expressing an effort to get better. We all watched this happen right here on DSLr. When I called Teksavvy to order I knew all this and was still trying to place an order. So, not sure what the heck you're talking about. I like Teksavvy just fine, but I would just not recommend them over Start at this point in time, for reasons obvious to a reasonable person. Sorry.
said by bbbc:

as much as I can't stand the Mexican company by the name of VoIP.ms.

»voip.ms/aboutus.php

I would also recommend them to the OP, good company that rebounded after a growth spurt. They have a call center presence in Mexico and profiles in South America too. Good Canadian kids doing well, just like Start.
said by smogers :

Start.ca

They are now what TSI was before it got bloated and big and ball dropping.

Mike

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

You seem to dislike TekSavvy as much as I can't stand the Mexican company by the name of VoIP.ms.

Voip.ms isn't Mexican, and I love them. Saved my church about $2000/yr in phone costs when I switched them from Bell business to a VoIP setup through VoIP.ms. I've used them at home for years and now use their reseller feature for friends/family.
Ontarionet
Guelph, ON

Ontarionet to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
I agree. My prior experience is similar to Mike's. Being on hold for 15 to 30 min. However, they were having to deal with Rogers maintenance issues. Start is $45 for 200gb bandwidth and Teksavvy $55 for 300gb. Does that sound right? My internet is off so I have to make a decision today. I'll have to wait a week?!? :-(
Do you think those are good deals? They're both 30/5.
I was paying $47.40 and my speeds varied. Most of the time, they were decent (cable).

P.S. I use voip.ms, also. So, landline is off, too.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

OP, if you're in a Rogers zone, try ElectronicBox

»www.electronicbox.net/en ··· h-speed/

$29.99/mo 30/5 includes 1TB of traffic.
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere

Just to clarify, it is $29.95 for the first 6 months and $52.95 per month after.

Great deal unless he has to switch after 6 months.

Also note that Ebox doesn't have any unlimited windows for cable between 2am and 8am like Start and Teksavvy.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

Also comes with a free install.
And the unlimited window is a WIP.
iamhere
canada

iamhere

Unlimited window has been a WIP for years! Please call a spade a spade. And if I'm understanding correctly, it will come with some additional cost.

Lastly, if it's important to the OP... Start doesn't count upload (not sure about Teksavvy) in your totals.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

Also comes with a free install.

Ebox activation fee is $49.95. They charge an additional $20 fee if you bring your own modem for some strange reason. That was the deal killer for me, that one. The modem rental fee is $6 with a one year contract required. Not sure where you're getting your info, this is right on their website.

»www.electronicbox.net/en ··· h-speed/

Click the "price details" tab.

Mike
dillyhammer

dillyhammer to Ontarionet

Premium Member

to Ontarionet
I'm on the 30/5 package with Start. I diverted some of my heavy lifting to their 2am - 8am no cap window and this 200gb package fits me just fine. With the modem rental I'm at $56.50 a month all in. The upload doesn't count toward your cap either.

This is who I recommend to anyone these days. Any technical issues you might have with them you'll have with anyone else, and their customer service is through-the-roof outstanding.

Mike
iamhere
canada

iamhere to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
The free install is quoted here;

»www.electronicbox.net/en ··· llation/

Although I'm not sure he qualifies if his connection has lapsed.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Ah right, free transfer. Thanks for pointing that out. Yeah, Start does that too. But the OP's connection is toast so an install fee is unavoidable, me thinks.

Mike