Search similar:

uniqs
Ontarionet
join:2005-07-05
Guelph, ON

Ontarionet to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer

Re: Cable internet: who to go with?

Yeah, I'm thinking the free installs are applicable to open connections.
That is interesting info. Thanks, guys!
I already have my own modem. It. was purchased from Teksavvy. Thomsen dcm476.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to Ontarionet

to Ontarionet
said by rocca :

TSI has absolutely done a great job with this sort of stuff especially before CNOC, and since as well of course, but we too have certainly opened our cheque book through CNOC, as well as directly on files where some extra cash was needed to make sure we could properly represent our industry and also through my personal involvement as CNOC reg chair -- and with all the files active, believe me it's a _lot_ of time.

Totally appreciate your CNOC efforts and I don't want to discount them whatsoever. What I was referring to as far as cheques being written was the recent copyright troll issue. I know TSI was the one being taken to task, but I didn't see other IISPs come to the plate with money for their fellow competitor. If I'm wrong, please give me the proper 411.

I'm not asking for a cookie or anything, just pointing out that the comment about Start not contributing to improving competitive access for Canadians is definitely not accurate.

My only beef with Start, and perhaps Ebox, is your lack of presence in the West. TSI is a lone wolf other than Distributel, and who wants them. Competition is only in the East, for the most part. I'll give you a Nanaimo bar instead of a cookie if you come to AB & BC.
said by dillyhammer :

Teksavvy is a great company, and a great Canadian story. But there customer service and support has struggled in recent times and it shows.

I would also recommend them to the OP, good company that rebounded after a growth spurt. They have a call center presence in Mexico and profiles in South America too. Good Canadian kids doing well, just like Start.

I would also recommend them to the OP, good company that rebounded after a growth spurt. They have a call center presence in Mexico and profiles in South America too. Good Canadian kids doing well, just like Start.

I could also state that in recent times VoIP.ms' support has really lacked, to put it politely. Marc of TekSavvy and Peter of Start get off their asses when customers have difficulties. I can speak from experience that the VoIP.ms boys don't and hide beyond the masses that work out of Mexico. That about URL you provided is great and all, but when they provide their accountant's Québec address as their business address instead of their true physical address, something's fishy. Beyond that, I believe one address they've published was in the main Desjardins building which houses a data centre they don't own. I've stated this stuff before and I've never gotten a response other than I'm a meanie.

Beyond all this, is it really so Canadian when the vast majority of jobs for a small business are shipped to another country? Walmart considers itself American, but its stores have flags of the local country, markets that it's Canadian proud (China proud, Mexican proud, etc.), and sells the vast majority of its shit from Asia.
said by GreenEnvy22 :

Voip.ms isn't Mexican, and I love them.

Glad you like them, like folks like Walmart, but please read above.

Saved my church about $2000/yr in phone costs when I switched them from Bell business to a VoIP setup through VoIP.ms.

Great and you could have saved with other companies like Anveo and Callcentric too that are just as Canadian as VoIP.ms. Dilly is trying to dispel the passion some folks have with TSI. I'm trying to wake folks up to the fact VoIP.ms isn't so perfect, other than dirt cheap prices, which is great for the Walmart crowd. Walmart doesn't offer much service either.

I've used them at home for years and now use their reseller feature for friends/family.

Ah, you have skin in the game. That's cool, a McDonalds franchisee is going to defend the mothership too.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

As a small business owner, I call bullshit on that, TSI has bills to pay too, from the sounds of the post from the OP and Andre, TSI has had this issue with the OP for years, if the OP can't afford to pay his internet bill on time, perhaps a basic connection will be better afforded.

Thanks Nitra.

this from dillyhammer: "the blanket statement of "Teksavvy's customer service has deteriorated" seems to be the consensus around here"

is just not true.

Many of you are ex TekSavvy customers and have left right in the midst of major issues. I can understand based on what was going on back then why you'd have left. I don't think most of you fully understand the impossibility of most of it from my perspective. I can sleep well at night knowing that it was despite best intentions... my heart was always in the right place and I gave it my all each and every step of the way. So did many others within. Despite that though, some of you will never let me live it down. Fair enough.

Today, we are better than we were a year ago and a year ago we were better than the year before that. We continue to work our tails off and we haven't even launched some of the internal improvements that we've been working on for more than two years. I believe we have great customer service today and with everything we have planned we will continue to greatly improve.

Even on DSLr, we are trending up in our reviews... I think that many of you who were unfortunately caught in the middle of some of the past events make it that much more difficult for us to make inroads now days. Referencing things from years past. Today none of that is true anymore. There continues to be new problems of course.. back to school seems to bring out the worst from the incumbents each year but generally, we're pretty damn good these days.

It's clear to me from our own internal assessments of where we stand on customer service that DSLr currently under represents our customers true sentiments. It seems that there is a disproportionate amount of people running here at the slightest thing or even people who know they are totally in the wrong and don't really care if they drag our good name through the mud, they just want what they want. We don't want to make anybody out to be worse than they are, but we do want to defend ourselves. I mean, geez, we're totally listening and paying attention and will gladly look into things is you simply ask politely like most people do. Even still though, I think in most cases people can see what's going on. It does leave some instances where negative impressions are created with little ability for recourse.

We've always tried to call an Ace an Ace... taking a good solid look in the mirror and self checking.. if we're wrong, we're wrong. We admit to it and do what we can to make it right. If we're right, we expect our customers to do the same and own up. I think that's fair.

To the opp, I'm sorry it has come to this. I don't think you're being fair with your comments towards us. Going around in three different forums trying to paint us in a negative light not representative of our actual actions while dealing with you. I can respect that I just don't know the situation you're in and that you may well have good reasons for your actions. It appears that we've tried working with you for some time now and it hasn't seemed to improve. Unfortunately we have to draw a line somewhere. For the good parts in between; thank you.

On a personal level, I do wish you well and hope things workout for you.

KPaul
join:2007-02-08

KPaul

Glad I stuck around
said by TSI Marc:

Many of you are ex TekSavvy customers and have left right in the midst of major issues.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

thanks KPaul. that's what I'm talkin' bout!

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to bbbc

to bbbc
Oh yes I have lots of skin in the game, about $3/month total profit Just enough to pay my own voip.ms phone bill
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Marc, just wanted to comment that I completely understand where you are coming from.

One of the things you are fighting is the fact that many DSLr users are very much into technology and the inner workings of it all (as opposed to the average user who doesn't come here). Once you lose them, they are hard to get back and will tend to remember the negative / bad things they encountered. I think it is almost to be expected that the people here aren't as happy with your company as the average consumer.

I have never been a user of TekSavvy but I did try to join from 2011-09 to 2011-10 (was this during your major issues?). After a month of giving it the old college try, I gave up and went somewhere else.

Now, when personal acquaintances ask me about the various providers I've used, I can only relay my personal experiences with your company and say that I believe things have gotten better since then. Is a 3 year old experience fair based on the current state of your company? Probably not completely but it's the only experience I have to speak to.

I think you can only keep doing what you are doing now and eventually some of the unjust negativity will go the way of the dodo-bird.

Good luck to you.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Thanks iamhere. Yeah 3-4 years ago was probably the lowest of lows. The period just after UBB and before we moved into our current office in Chatham.

You can PM me any time if you or your friends need help with anything.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by Nitra:

As a small business owner, I call bullshit on that, TSI has bills to pay too, from the sounds of the post from the OP and Andre, TSI has had this issue with the OP for years, if the OP can't afford to pay his internet bill on time, perhaps a basic connection will be better afforded.

this from dillyhammer: "the blanket statement of "Teksavvy's customer service has deteriorated" seems to be the consensus around here"

is just not true.

It absolutely is true Sir, particularly "around here". I didn't say it was bad, I said it deteriorated, and it did, as was aptly evidenced in your forums. I don't know if things got better or not because like I said, you lost me at the 50 minute mark of being on hold to place an order. That was last year however, so I'll give you that.

I'm also glad to see your reviews trending upward.

I think it was a little more succinct when I said:
said by dillyhammer:

Teksavvy is a great company, and a great Canadian story. But there customer service and support has struggled in recent times and it shows. I've seen posts from Teksavvy themselves acknowledging this and expressing an effort to get better. We all watched this happen right here on DSLr. When I called Teksavvy to order I knew all this and was still trying to place an order. So, not sure what the heck you're talking about. I like Teksavvy just fine, but I would just not recommend them over Start at this point in time, for reasons obvious to a reasonable person. Sorry.

I stand by this 1000%, because that is exactly the facts. Love you guys to pieces, but you got real big real fast and customer service suffered as a result. That is a fact. You say you're rebounding. Getting better. I trust you are, as good companies will rebound and get better. I hope you continue to do so. This country needs you guys in a big way.

But what I said was true. Period.

Mike

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Sorry Mike. It's just not true. This is what I'm saying about not letting us live it down. The very next sentence you acknowledge that this was a year ago.

Well, a year ago a certain incumbent left our users offline for more than a month. So yeah, we had longer wait times. We were properly staffed and had great customer service... Right up to where it was impossible to have any service at all. Take that single sequence of events out of the equation and replace it with normal service levels from incumbents and presto, great customer service from us.

Anyway. I don't think I'll ever change your mind. "Period" :P all good though dude. I'm cool.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer :

It absolutely is true Sir, particularly "around here". I didn't say it was bad, I said it deteriorated, and it did, as was aptly evidenced in your forums.

I haven't always been a peach to Marc and crew, but they've always rectified things for me and explained what the situation is. I actually have more faith in TSI since Marc dealt with the copyright trolls. I think other DSLRers feel this way too.

As far as the shit hitting the fan when Rogers pulled its BS, what do you expect TekSavvy to do when there are no mandated consequences to the incumbent? With that situation in mind, didn't Marc hand out wireless data sticks like they were candy. I can't imagine any other IISP doing the same thing. I've had TekSavvy on both coasts, DSL and cable, so I feel like I somewhat know what I'm talking about.
nster
join:2013-12-15
H4P

nster to Ontarionet

to Ontarionet
While I've never had the chance to deal with Teksavvy, I have to say, hats off to them for being a leader of the pack, dare I say, sparking a revolution :P Here in Montreal, at least among the people I'm around, the average customer, when shopping for internet, it was always "Bell or Videotron?". I want to add that I find Montreal is a very stubborn customer audience, and just like our license plates say "Je me souviens", sometimes it feels the customers are stuck in the past.

It all changed when Teksavvy showed their presence here. First, they stood out by offering better customer service than other TPIAs, and even incumbents at times. Their prices were good too. People started asking questions about what this Teksavvy thing is and slowly the general public understood what IISPs are etc.

While there is a startup installation cost of 70$, I think maybe ElectronicBox may be a great option, with the current 6 month promo and group buy you just cant beat it. See: »forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 1477569/
As far as IISPs, I've only ever had experience with them. I did however refer a lot of people over to them as I really respect this company (how much they are paying Rogers/Bell/Videotron for example is something they are open about etc
Ontarionet
join:2005-07-05
Guelph, ON

Ontarionet

What do ppl do while waiting until their connection? :-/

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by Ontarionet:

What do ppl do while waiting until their connection? :-/

While you wait ...

• build some biquad antenna's and waveguide rigs and learn to use BackTrack5 (Now Kali Linux) and leech wifi's

• or invite your neighbor over for a coffee and inviggle some wifi from them by the way and that you'd return the favour if they ever got into the same situation

• or just take your little tablets or lug your lappy to Tim Hortons, MacDonands, and other venues until you're connected up proper like right at home.

Bottom line, where theres a will, theres a way.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TwiztedZero:

•....or invite your neighbor over for a coffee and inviggle some wifi from them....

inveigle

Now THERE'S a word I haven't encountered since my late Dad said it some years ago !

But he only SAID it, never wrote it, so I had to look up your example, as I thought your spelling to be off.

I had thought that it was spelled with a leading 'e' instead of an 'i', like 'enquire' vs 'inquire'.

But Professor Google says inveigle after I input your way, so we were BOTH wrong.

»www.google.ca/#newwindow ··· inveigle

But wait - Google is US, and my father prob'ly learned the word in UK, soooo....

»www.google.ca/#newwindow ··· enveigle

enveigle

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Ah yeas a single "g" ... and e before i ... inveigle ... yeas also enveigle ...

which comes to ... mean ...

in·vei·gle
in%u02C8v%u0101g%u0259l/
verb
verb: inveigle; 3rd person present: inveigles; past tense: inveigled; past participle: inveigled; gerund or present participle: inveigling

persuade (someone) to do something by means of deception or flattery.
"we cannot inveigle him into putting pen to paper"
synonyms: entice, tempt, lure, seduce, beguile; More
wheedle, cajole, coax, persuade;
informalsweet-talk, soft-soap, con, sucker, snow
"planted in colleges are members whose only mission is to inveigle unsuspecting students into the cult"
gain entrance to (a place) by persuading (someone) with deception or flattery.

-----------------------
late 15th century (in the sense 'beguile, deceive'; formerly also as enveigle ): from Anglo-Norman French envegler, alteration of Old French aveugler 'to blind,' from aveugle 'blind.'

-------------------

And yes we still use the word quite a wee bit over in Nova Scotia, which is where I be from originally before transplanting my butt to Ontario some 20 years agone. We Scotts are a tenacious lot.