uniqs
sethmo
join:2009-12-08
Keokuk, IA

1 recommendation

sethmo to SeaFoam

to SeaFoam

Re: [IA] I really hate caps *warning: rant*

T[H]is is the first time I have gotten the warnings, I am currently at 270gb out of my 350gb for the month. I don't download any Linux ISOs anymore, it is mostly games, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and work RDP.

I am stuck at a 20mbps/2mbps connection for a whopping $84 a month though, that right there is ridiculous

[H]!
SeaFoam
join:2009-05-20

SeaFoam

Linux ISOs!

20/2 is $84? I pay $100 for my 150/20 3TB...
sethmo
join:2009-12-08
Keokuk, IA

sethmo

That is what I pay bundled with VOIP service(that I never wanted but they said it would be cheaper since I did not want a cable TV package).

I am going to call today to see if I can negotiate a better deal.
Expand your moderator at work
RVD420
join:2009-11-26

RVD420 to DoctorX

to DoctorX

Re: [IA] I really hate caps *warning: rant*

Actually if you read the paperwork Mediacom had a cap, they always have. They just were not enforcing it.

alex3324
join:2000-08-03
West Des Moines, IA

alex3324 to DoctorX

to DoctorX
I'm on the 100/10 plan and my kids watch YouTube videos on their computers for several hours a day, we stream Netflix videos routinely, and we have never, ever even used half of our 1TB allotment across our dozen-or-so devices. You might check into what's eating up all your bandwidth.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

What quality are their videos set to? My daughter watched Stampy (that Minecraft guy) a couple hours a day and two days used up almost 50gb alone on her tablet. I checked the usage meter on her device, and it breaks it down by app. It was all Youtube. I added up the usage between all the devices in our house and it added up, so I'm not leaking bandwidth anywhere. My cap is the 250, but the principle is still the same. Between my Steam stuff and her videos (we don't even have Netflix) two us come close to nailing the cap every month.

I'm trying to educate her about watching videos on lower quality to save bandwidth but it really gets irritating after a while to have to constantly nag. The Youtube app on her device doesn't have a setting yet to limit the video to a max default quality - it defaults to the highest setting every time the app is restarted. On the PC, I can cap that by setting something in my account but it simply doesn't carry over to the mobile version (which is a very poor design).

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

exactly, when it was announced that mediacom was going to start using a meter and imposing caps. i checked with chad about my useage, at the time he stated i had used a lil over 1TB in a month, that was just me using netflix on a WII. and not much else, and no, no leaks.

now of course since i no longer use netflix im hitting about 60GB's a month. will probably be more this month as ive finally gotten a steam account and discovered dota2
v_lestat
The Blood Is The Life
join:2002-11-09

v_lestat

here is a thought....

drop your internet speed or caps, which ever to what ever your company pays you.
that would be the 50/5 package with 350gb cap..

when you reach your cap or they complain about video conference quality then you tell them that you can not afford a better quality line. and if they want you to have better then they need to pay.

to be honest, alot of companies will pay to have a proper line put into an employees home just for the sake of having a 100% dedicated line.

if your company doesnt do this, and they are as big as you claim then they are in need of some serious internal overhauling.

caveat..... if they ask you if you are using if for personal use and you say yes then you are up poop creek without a paddle. (with the internet package they would pay for)

first and foremost, i dont care who you are you will NEVER EVER EVER use that much data video conferencing for a job.. its just not gunna happen.
you would have to have a constant open video stream running. all day 8am-5pm 5 days a week

learn to adjust the settings of your webcam to NOT stream in HD or even close to hd
800x600 most of the time is far and away enough for video conferencing.

that being said....

your name DoctorX... if you are one of the new wave of tele-doctors who do video conferencing for diagnostics then i could see some heavy usage but not everyone has a webcam or wants to use it if they have one, or even knows how to use it.

you use alot of data sir, and are far and away wayyyyyyyyyyyyy outside the normal usage of any home user.

get a business line or figure out what your usage is for home and what it is for work and get 2 lines.

1 for home which will work to fill your home needs and a 2nd for work which fills those needs.

i could see transferring patient imaging causing such high usage but even then, switch to a remote desktop session or VPN session and it wont take that much data.

that is another thing you can do is switch alot of things you may do at home, via downloading massive amount of data, to a VPN straight up logging into a virtual machine from home to work.

your usage is off the radar and i have never seen anyone in any business use that kind of data.

maybe traders but even then i would be skeptical.

sorry to come at you so hard but i think the bulk of your data is coming from inside your home, not work.

lastly stop with the cloud backup. for petes sake, that would probably be the bulk of your data usage right there, backing up hundred of megs to gigs of data everyday to the cloud on a capped line is just stupid.

save it to a good external drive system that supports RAID so there is some redundancy.
or go buy a tape drive and back it up that way.

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

1 recommendation

OldCableGuy3

Anon

Wow, my jaw is literally on the floor. I never thought I'd see the day where people on here not only are defending Mediacom, but defending CAPS!!
DoctorX
join:2010-08-01

DoctorX to v_lestat

to v_lestat
omg... really? wtf is your problem? Where do you get off slamming me? I pay $210 a month for internet and cable... and where do you get telling me what to do with my bandwidth? I have a 30TB server in the basement that is 90% used. I use cloud backup for both personal and work. I am redownloading my steam games (all 526 of them due to changing OSs). I do not bittorrent unless i am getting a different linux distro. I have 4 rokus, 5 tablets, 3 notebooks,3 pcs. My company will not pay for overages or otherwise... in fact they are talking about dropping the reimbursement altogether. I cannot afford a business line. I am not a doctor... I am an admin for 70% of a global company's servers. I really do not give a crap what you think but screw you for implying i am a pirate. I know a lot of my bandwidth is from home. I am also on the computer for 18 hours a day. I am on call 24x7. I average 60G a day with work. I get 400-500 emails a day with many with multimeg attachements. You make a large assumption and you are not even close. Stop the attacks.
DoctorX

DoctorX to OldCableGuy3

to OldCableGuy3
said by OldCableGuy3 :

Wow, my jaw is literally on the floor. I never thought I'd see the day where people on here not only are defending Mediacom, but defending CAPS!!

This

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to DoctorX

Premium Member

to DoctorX
said by DoctorX:

in fact they are talking about dropping the reimbursement altogether. I cannot afford a business line. I am not a doctor... I am an admin for 70% of a global company's servers. I know a lot of my bandwidth is from home.

Caps suck but that is what you have to deal with. But, you are looking at a couple of things the wrong way.

You cant afford a business line...but it sounds like internet is mission critical for you to work and hence get paid and with your data demands it sounds like you can't afford NOT to get a business line.

I realize your company refuses to pay for overages and that's understandable but do they realize they are paying for your home consumption as well for "I am redownloading my steam games (all 526 of them due to changing OSs). I do not bittorrent unless i am getting a different linux distro. I have 4 rokus, 5 tablets, 3 notebooks,3 pcs". Something tells me they would be none to happy about this fact either but you dont want to go there with them.

If an employee came to me and wanted to work out the overages and all that the first thing I would look at is how much personal / non-work related traffic they are doing and curb that first before I would even consider paying overages for rokus, tablets and torrents.

c0l32kb
@173.20.197.x

c0l32kb to OldCableGuy3

Anon

to OldCableGuy3
The point here is that OP should be using a BUSINESS line for their BUSINESS. That's what those plans exist for. Arguing the merits of whether a cap is "okay" or not doesn't matter. These are the prices set by Mediacom and you can either pay or switch providers. No other providers? Then move. Paying a bit more a month for a line actually meant for what you're trying to use it for doesn't sound so bad now, does it?
DoctorX

DoctorX

irrelevant... we used to have unlimited... and used to pay for unlimited... I cannot switch providers... there are none other here. Oh yea... easy to just move.
DoctorX

1 edit

DoctorX

You guys defend the caps are cracking me up... You are all missing the entire point of my post. I have offered to pay more for the 3TB plan, however they refuse to offer it... however some of you think that 1. i should get a business plan for double the price... I should move.. I should not use the bandwidth i pay for.... I should not even be on the net at all. Just cause you do nothing on your internet except facebook and email, does not mean that the rest of use cant use it for more. The fact that my company refuses to reimburse more than $50 a month is irrelevant. My past companies didnt even offer that.

Did you guys even see the page? »business.mediacomcable.c ··· internet

$300/mo for 105? seriously? That is a car payment.

Yea... just lock this thread mods. Obviously there are more isp plants on here than i thought.

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3

Anon

Glad I live in Cedar Rapids, I can get ImOn -- NO CAPS

c0l32kb
@173.20.197.x

c0l32kb to DoctorX

Anon

to DoctorX
Again, not defending caps in the least but you can't expect a company to modify the packages they have available just to suit your specific needs. You have no options here beyond dealing with it or paying for a business line. I don't know what you thought coming on here to complain would do.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to DoctorX

Premium Member

to DoctorX
said by DoctorX:

=I should not use the bandwidth i pay for....

No..you should use the bandwidth yuor company pays for, to do things the company pays you to do.

What would the company say if you approached them and said that the internet they are paying for does not have enough traffic for you to do business AND personal activities?

Would you expect to be able to use a company maintained vehicle as your own personal vehicle to go where ever you need to after work hours?

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to DoctorX

to DoctorX
that also comes with no caps and a SLA your mostly paying for the SLA

your home connection right not is best effort what are you going to do if the line goes down for 3+ days?
if your really 100% work from home if nothing else YOU NEED that SLA

if i worked from home i would do likely 1 or 2 things maybe both
1. get a business class connection with a SLA
2. setup a VM for the work PC or build another PC JUST FOR WORK

i would keep my 100Mbps home like on top of that for my stuff
ghosti
join:2014-02-01
united state

ghosti to DoctorX

to DoctorX
You do have an option for higher or no cap, you just don't want to pay for it. The business plan would resolve your issue. I hate caps, was incredibly angry when Mediacom added them, but there is nothing I can do about it except switch to a higher cost (business) plan. My company used to reimburse net costs, they stopped earlier this year for the exact scenario you have presented...they got tired of paying for excessive personal use. And this is a company with over 250k employees. Again, I just had to deal with it. Your business use is not causing your problem, it's the personal use (steam/video streaming especially) causing you to hit your cap. And yet your employer is still paying for it. Do a test, suspend all activity for 7 days except business and see just how much you are using. I am online at least 10 hours daily via Citrix, about half that the tv is streaming video. About 3 hours more streaming at night. I have 4 computers, 6 tablets, tivo, chromecast, 5 smartphones, 2 voip phone lines and 2 vehicles all connected and using bandwidth daily. I come no where near my cap, often not hitting 50%.

You know you have a cap, you have an option to get around that...but let's be honest, you just don't want to pay for it. Caps are coming for everyone, everywhere like it or not, it's just a fact of life. Be glad we don't live north of border with their "generous 50GB/month caps. Moving is not easy, but will be necessary if you don't want to deal with Mediacom caps as cell or satellite will not help you at all.

You have four choices: Upgrade to business, eliminate unnecessary bandwidth usage, paying overages or move.
DoctorX

DoctorX

$300/mo? i dont think so... cheaper to pay overages. You must be an isp plant... omg....

I am done. go troll somewhere else.
DoctorX

DoctorX to elios

to elios
said by elios:

they provide a jetpack for emergencies to connect to work ... but 10G/mo cap on that.
macdude22
join:2005-09-08
IA

macdude22 to c0l32kb

to c0l32kb
Exactly, nobody is defending caps. But in the situation where a capless business service exists (albeit at a slower speed in the desired price range) I can't really see the issue. And I deal with video conferencing at my job. Unless DoctorX is doing robotic surgery from his home line 1-2 Mbps up will work fine with most services and codecs.

There's need and there's want. I want ultra fast downloads from steam. But if I had a need to transfer 1+TB a month I'd just switch to the 10 or 20 meg business plan. I'd like to know what video conferencing technology that is being used that requires 5+ Mbps up.
SeaFoam
join:2009-05-20
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti US-8
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

SeaFoam to DoctorX

to DoctorX
said by DoctorX:

$300/mo? i dont think so... cheaper to pay overages. You must be an isp plant... omg....

I am done. go troll somewhere else.

An ISP plant? Jesus, nothing is your fault at all, is it?

You keep saying you're done, but you keep bitching.

Boo hoo, your life is so hard! It must be terrible, since the biggest problem in your life is the internet bill. Give me a break.
ghosti
join:2014-02-01
united state

2 recommendations

ghosti to DoctorX

to DoctorX
You ask for the thread to be closed once you realize everyone is not agreeing with your opinion, yet you call me an isp plant and troll? Try looking in the mirror.

I gave you options, but all you want is to bitch about how your company won't pay more to cover YOUR PERSONAL USAGE. My complaints with Mediacom are well documented. Only troll here is you against those with a different opinion than yours. Your CHOICE to not address your usage problem solves nothing, but by all means keep attacking others instead...if for nothing more than the humor it gives us...