Search similar:

uniqs
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut

Premium Member

[Help] Sebring Transmission no reverse, sorta.

2004, 2.7, auto transmission.
Seeking thoughts regarding weird issue that does not make much sense to me in a hydraulic transmission and google has not shown me much regarding this specifically. Seems like a rare symptom, or my google skills have failed me.
Not in limp mode, no codes, all forward gears all work as expected automatically and manually. Does not exhibit the common jerkiness of an untrained transmission when stopping etc.
When placed in reverse at idle, makes typical sound of engaging, let off brake and car rolls and feels as expected. any kind of acceleration, ie push on the gas pedal, and the car rolls to a stop as if the gear disengaged itself without any unusual noises. Even if you rev it up to 4000 rpm, the car will sit still as if in neutral. Let the engine drop back to idle and there is a feeling of gear engagement (no noise) and car will start to move again even up to as fast as idle will let it.
To me seems like the opposite of what I would consider slipping, as in have to rev it up to move.
Many other types of failures I am familiar with, but not this symptom. Main question I have is; possible electrical issue with control valves, controller that do not throw a code? or probable internals. I have not seen this before with older automatics, so I am not sure what to expect if encountering the kneejerk 'rebuild / install rebuilt" reaction when taking it in.

Edit. Fluid: clean, as expected for age, no bad smell. full per proper method of checking before someone says check the fluid level.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

How many miles are on the car?

bangbangboom
@69.118.94.x

bangbangboom to rfnut

Anon

to rfnut
Did it happen all of a sudden, too high of RPM can cause a slip... had a old plow truck that HAD to have the gas feathered in 3ed or else it would slip out... funny part it, burning out reverse is what killed the tranny, not the slipping 3ed... also had a car (still driving it... shockingly) when I was first trying to move it... I4, it would take to 3500 RPM to bang the car into first... only to move a little and slip again... not that I would say to use it but I dumped a bottle of Lucas tranny fix in it... 4 years later working fine.

Not a tranny person though... could very well be something to do with pressure... or a valve...
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut

Premium Member

Car was given to me this way, so do not know history and it has 148K miles. I too am familiar with having to rev up and bang into gear it may go, but not the opposite. Also usually lose reverse and 1st, or all forward gears, is common but this one just stumped me a bit.