spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Boooost

@151.190.40.x

Cat food bigotry

TL;DR version: What wet cat food do you recommend?

The long story:

So we got a brand new, 10 week-old male kitten. Having been out of the cat ownership game for two decades, I asked the vet about cat food. I told him we were feeding the kitten Fancy Feast. The vet proceeded to tell me that Fancy Feast is a low-end cat food and, instead, recommended Eukanuba, Iams, and Science Diet.

I actually anticipated this response (which I consider to be bigoted against mainstream cat foods, hence the subject of this post). I pointed out to the vet that Eukanuba, Iams, and Science Diet had all been contaminated with melamine, and had killed thousands of cats. But Fancy Feast, Nine Lives, and Friskies were not contaminated. He then made vague statements about the producers of the contaminated food having cleaned up their act.

The problem, as I see it, is that Eukanuba, Iams, and Science Diet don't actually make any of their cat food! They contract it out to manufacturers in other countries to make the food, and who knows what they're actually putting in it. Like products from China that are intentionally poisoned with melamine.

Fancy Feast and Purina (I didn't check Nine Lives) are manufactured in the United States by Purina's own factories. In my opinion, this has to be better than contracting it out to third parties.

One other strange thing is that the vet had good things to say about Purina and that he has visited their facilities. But Fancy Feast, which he disparaged, is made by Purina!

Anyway, I'm looking for helpful comments about which wet cat food people would recommend to feed to a male cat. I always used to feed my old cat Nine Lives, and we're using Fancy Feast for this kitten mainly because the smaller cans are convenient at this point.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com

2 recommendations

IMHO, those all stink. Don't care if the food is made in USA or not. Ingredients and integrity of the company matter most.

Feed something like Honest Kitchen. There you have a company that is trying to do good for pets. There are others.

But then again, I wouldn't feed just canned food to my cat.
--
Are YOU just a turkey voting for xmas?

Mentat
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Sugar Land, TX

2 recommendations

reply to Boooost
»www.royalcanin.us/products/produ···tinctive

I've used this for my last 3 rescues to great fanfare.

Hills, Royal Canin, and Blue Buffalo grain free dry are all my kids eat.
--
Be kind to animals.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Boooost
Canned food is a pain in the ass. It's a mess and you have to feed them on a schedule where with dry food you can put it out and they eat when they feel like it.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to Boooost
I don't see how this is "bigotry". Towards cat food? Really?

You asked the vet his opinion and he gave it. What's the big deal?

Since you "anticipated his response," it sounds like you didn't have a legitimate question; you just wanted to set the vet up for an argument and/or create a premise to push your own opinion.

As far as recommendations, I've been feeding my cat dry Iams for his entire nine year life, and he's a happy, outgoing, bouncy little nut with zero health issues.

And by the way, Iams is made in USA. The brand was sold this past April so we'll see if it stays USA made going forward.

You're putting way too much thought into this. You found something that you're comfortable with and the cat likes. So leave it alone. If you're not in agreement with the vet's approach to pet health care, then find another vet.
--
»www.twentyfirstsummer.com

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Boooost
Those are recommended by many vets as... those vets get a lot of "support" from those companies. Just look at a vets shelves when they carry items such as foods and things.

My cat appears to be allergic to grains (as I think many cats are... and cats don't normally consume grains) so I've switched over to grain free foods. I also try to avoid foods that don't have "meat" (not meat by-products) as the first ingredient. But I'd not say that meat by-products are all that bad. It's really just that I have one cat and no other family in my house so I don't mind spending a little more on the cat. Though, at times I think he needs to either get a job or move out.

Ole Juul

join:2013-04-27
Coalmont, BC

1 recommendation

reply to Boooost
Don't forget that a cat will also be eating an unknown number of rodents during the night and that will vary seasonally. If you feed them too much you're not doing them, or yourself, any favours.

Boooost

@151.190.40.x
reply to Mentat
said by Mentat:

Hills, Royal Canin, and Blue Buffalo grain free dry are all my kids eat.

All three of those companies sold poisoned food which killed thousands of cats. You should also check out the Blue Buffalo lawsuit, which claims that their grain free food contains rice hulls. Blue Buffalo was also found this past March to be engaging in misleading advertising practices.

The problem (and what prompted this post) is that one company, Simmons Pet Food, makes the food for 95 companies, all at the same plants, and, for the most part, using the same ingredients.

Neither Blue Buffalo, Eukanuba, Hills, Iams, Royal Canin, or Science Diet make their own products. They all outsource to Simmons. And the resulting lack of control over their own products is what resulted in poisoned food and thousands of dead cats. I don't think any of these companies can be trusted.

InigoMontoya

join:2014-04-28

1 edit
reply to Boooost
I use Soulistic for mine. The food is made in a USDA approved human facility. Petco carries it. My cat is picky and wouldn't eat any other type of wet food. She loves Blue dry but will only eat Soulistic (gravy types) in wet food. It's the only food I've seen that is actually real food. When you open the green chicken can you see real shredded chicken in gravy not a lump of brown gelee shit.
»www.soulisticpet.com/

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to Boooost
I'm looking for mouse favored cat food.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Boooost
said by Boooost :

Neither Blue Buffalo, Eukanuba, Hills, Iams, Royal Canin, or Science Diet make their own products. They all outsource to Simmons. And the resulting lack of control over their own products is what resulted in poisoned food and thousands of dead cats. I don't think any of these companies can be trusted.

What is the practical current solution that you recommend, if you feel there is one?

-----

As an aside, in my fairly long life (coming up towards 60 years so far), I never expected to see the words "cat food" and "bigotry" in the same sentence....

Mentat
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Boooost
said by Boooost :

I don't think any of these companies can be trusted.

Trust is relative. My cats have thrived off of the brands I listed, and while the issues you describe have merit, the cats love the stuff and I'm loath to change it.

My 16 year old cat has eaten wet food his entire life, starting with the cheap ass Friskies that you buy in a box of 36 back when I was broke. He's made it thus far with no problems except for struvite crystals back in '03. He eats 3 cans of Blue Buffalo a day and acts like he's still 4 years old.

Unless you're making your own food for them, you're at the mercy of giant companies deciding what goes into your pet.
--
Be kind to animals.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Outland
When you think about it, there are millions of wild (feral) cats and they seem to do just fine eating mice and birds.

Not so good for the birds, though.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Boooost
Dry vs Wet, and what brand, pretty much is a huge deal on the interwebs.

Just google the topic. You can spend the next 5 years reading the results, and still not get a good answer.

Most of the "good" foods you will see people recommend, costs more than most human food.

Good luck.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

InigoMontoya

join:2014-04-28
said by gatorkram:

Most of the "good" foods you will see people recommend, costs more than most human food.

100% of pet food costs more then human food.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to Boooost
My cat eats the prescription diet w/d from the vet. The dog gets the r/d version. They're both overweight.

The cat has thyroid issues.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

Mentat
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
reply to PX Eliezer
Life expectancy of feral cats is much, much less than housecats.
--
Be kind to animals.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
said by Mentat:

Life expectancy of feral cats is much, much less than housecats.

We think one of the strays we've been feeding has gone on the heavenly express.

There are two current strays we feed. A third we feed is a semi stray that wanders into our yard.

The two strays are toms so they tend to fight. The one that died was a fourth cat.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

CmmTch

join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Boooost
We had cats for years (at one time as many as 4) we retired from pet ownership some years ago, we always fed them dry Meow Mix. Wet food makes for looser, stinkier poops, two of those cats lived long lives, 18 and 21 years. All were inside cats, the one that lived the longest, Pete, didn't even want to go outside. He'd come out on the deck but just wasn't comfortable being outside.

IMO dry food is better all the way around, I think eating something kind of crunchy helps their teeth too. We would give treats every once in awhile, like Buddig Brand thin sliced deli meat, turkey seemed to be the favorite, one slice per cat was enough.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Boooost
The issue was greed and a crappy test to check the protein content of the food. Adding melamine was a way of fooling the cruel protein test, they could have ground up used phone books, shoes, dusted it with melamine and according to the test it would have appeared as protein rich meat. Adulteration is unfortunately common in China, its all about making a fast buck. Like I said, it was a crappy test. I suspect these companies will test more thoroughly now given the PR nightmare that occurred. As for the vet, well they can get bonuses or other incentives for pushing a brand of food.

I can't name a brand because I don't have a cat anymore and have not been following brands. However if this is a fixed male cat, read the labels and get something that has a very low ash content as fixed male cats are prone to developing urinary blockages as they get older. The cause is a mineral buildup which can be in part hereditary, and environmental (ie food). If you start with food that has a low ash content you may lower the risk of the cat becoming plugged up.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Boooost
I've fed my cats Friskies for years! Purina makes there food in there factories & has strict standards & quality control. »www.purina.com/meet-purina/quali···et-brian »www.friskies.com/cat-food/dry-ca···nsations

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

reply to Boooost
My cats eat Friskies dry (any flavor) as well as their canned Flaked Tuna as treats. Two recently died at ages 19 and 20. Another lived through cancer and a stroke before a second stroke took him at 15. I have two at 14 now that are in perfect health and they've never been fed a "fancy" brand name of cat food in their lives.

While I wouldn't stoop to store brand cat food, Friskies is more than enough to ensure a long healthy life and it's nowhere near expensive either.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Boooost
I feed my first cat ate Friskies and he developed FLUTD at the age of 7 which ended up to be fatal. My vet said it's not uncommon to see happen with cheaper foods. My current cat is 17 with no issues eating Blue. No clue if the food really matters or it was just luck but no more Friskies for my cats. I just don't trust it.

said by CmmTch:

IMO dry food is better all the way around, I think eating something kind of crunchy helps their teeth too. We would give treats every once in awhile, like Buddig Brand thin sliced deli meat, turkey seemed to be the favorite, one slice per cat was enough.

Dry is more convenient but where in the wild do cats normally eat dry food? They don't. It's not really good for them as it dehydrates them. Dry food is the leading cause of kidney failure in cats. I prefer a mix of them. Leave out the dry food and feed them wet twice a day.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to Boooost
Full disclosure. I do not, and have not, had any pet companions. With that out of the way, I have always wondered about dry cat and dog food. Wild animals do not have a similar substance to eat. I have observed my friends dogs and cats. Real food, generally meat, is what they want. They prefer something on the bone. Cooking to the high end of rare or low end of medium rare works well to kill off pathogens, but leaves a nice juicy chewing texture. USDA Select grade beef is fine as is leaner and provide a decent chewing action. Chicken, turkey, and pork cooked safely are just as good. As for vegetables and fruit, if you cover them in real meat juices, the cats and dogs will eat them. If you mix the vegetables and fruit in with rough cut meat the animals will eat the vegetables and fruit. I must state the only fruit was some ripe wild blueberries. The vegetables were chopped up plain cooked green beans and spinach. I have also observed that mixing in dry with real chunky "wet" in a 50/50 mixture is acceptable. Real chewing on protein action combined with crunch provides interesting variety.

The cats of course would eat almost any canned or lightly smoked salmon. Canned tuna, chicken, and turkey are also eaten. Canned beef is not eaten. Canned ham is not eaten.

It seems to me that the human companions of cats and dogs could, with some effort, come up with a way to combine real low cost human grade food with the good industrial corporation produced "food" to produce a better diet with much more variety in textures and flavors.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

When you think about it, there are millions of wild (feral) cats and they seem to do just fine eating mice and birds..

... don't forget chipmunks .....

Ole Juul

join:2013-04-27
Coalmont, BC
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by kherr:

... don't forget chipmunks .....

That reminds me. There a great big slimy hork right outside the basement steps. I better pick that up before it gets dark.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to Boooost
I give my cat dry cat food (Friskies) with 1 can of human grade Tuna a week.

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Boooost
One thing to remember about male cats is that they need water and moisture in their food to avoid male blockages, especially after they're neutered. Also, cats need TAURINE. Some crap foods do NOT have it. Cats also need quality protein.

I'm a retired hobby breeder and I feed my cats FancyFeast, RoyalCanin and Purina ProPlan. For one non-pedigree who had inflammatory bowel disorder and had to be on grain-free, I fed Wellness and she thrived.

Yes, vets *do* get incentives for Hills, Hills Science Diet and the other stocked foods. ROFL about the vet saying FancyFeast is "low end": what is really junk low end cat food is MeowMix and Dad's.

Like beck posted: ingredients and integrity of the company matter.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Furrever Fur:

One thing to remember about male cats is that they need water and moisture in their food to avoid male blockages, especially after they're neutered. Also, cats need TAURINE. Some crap foods do NOT have it. Cats also need quality protein.

I'm a retired hobby breeder and I feed my cats FancyFeast, RoyalCanin and Purina ProPlan. For one non-pedigree who had inflammatory bowel disorder and had to be on grain-free, I fed Wellness and she thrived.

Yes, vets *do* get incentives for Hills, Hills Science Diet and the other stocked foods. ROFL about the vet saying FancyFeast is "low end": what is really junk low end cat food is MeowMix and Dad's.

Like beck posted: ingredients and integrity of the company matter.

They also need lower magnesium foods. Friskies for example is high magnesium.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

PX Eliezer
Premium
Outland
reply to Furrever Fur
Is there a benefit to mixing a couple of products together, in the hope that if something is missing from one it will be in the other?

Or does that piss off the cats?