share rss forum feed

dp
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA
kudos:7

3 recommendations

Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for August 12, 2014

Note: There may be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep refreshing

Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletin(s).

Note: »www.microsoft.com/technet/security and »www.microsoft.com/security are authoritative in all matters concerning Microsoft Security Bulletins! ANY e-mail, web board or newsgroup posting (including this one) should be verified by visiting these sites for official information. Microsoft never sends security or other updates as attachments. These updates must be downloaded from the microsoft.com download center or Windows Update. See the individual bulletins for details.

Because some malicious messages attempt to masquerade as official Microsoft security notices, it is recommended that you physically type the URLs into your web browser and not click on the hyperlinks provided.

Bulletin Summary:
»technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-aug

Critical (2)

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-051
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (2976627)
»technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-051

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-043
Vulnerability in Windows Media Center Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2978742)
»technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-043

Important (7)

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-048
Vulnerability in OneNote Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2977201)
»technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-048

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-044
Vulnerabilities in SQL Server Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2984340)
»technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-044

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-045
Vulnerabilities in Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow Elevation Of Privilege (2984615)
»technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-045

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-049
Vulnerability in Windows Installer Service Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2962490)
»technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-049

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-050
Vulnerability in Microsoft SharePoint Server Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2977202)
»technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-050

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-046
Vulnerability in .NET Framework Could Allow Security Feature Bypass (2984625)
»technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-046

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS14-047
Vulnerability in LRPC Could Allow Security Feature Bypass (2978668)
»technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-047

Please note that Microsoft may release bulletins out side of this schedule if we determine the need to do so.

If you have any questions regarding the patch or its implementation after reading the above listed bulletin you should contact Product Support Services in the United States at 1-866-PCSafety 1-866-727-2338. International customers should contact their local subsidiary.

As always, download the updates only from the vendors website - visit Windows Update and Office Update or Microsoft Update websites. You may also get the updates thru Automatic Updates functionality in Windows system.

Security Tool
Find out if you are missing important Microsoft product updates by using MBSA.
--
Microsoft® Consumer Security MVP, 2004 - 2014
DP's Security Bits

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16

1 edit

Click for full size
Thanks dp See Profile 13 updates for my Win 7 Pro 64-bit and 14 updates for my Win 7 Prem 32-bit.

NICK ADSL UK
Premium,MVM
join:2004-02-22
Reviews:
·Zen Internet

1 recommendation

reply to dp

thanks don

Join members of the Trustworthy Computing team for the latest information on this month’s Microsoft Security Bulletins.

The webcast begins at 11 a.m. Pacific Time on Wednesday, August 13. Visit the Trustworthy Computing Ustream channel to take part in the live webcast.

»technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr···352.aspx
--
Wilders Security Forum Admin
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

ltsnow
Premium
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to dp

Got 4 updates (not counting MSRT) for Windows XP Pro SP3 using the POSReady 2009 patch.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

reply to dp

Click for full size

14 installed here, including the recommended update.
So far, touch wood, all seems fine.

PatchTues

@66.249.83.x

1 recommendation

reply to dp

Applied patches to two systems. Reboots were needed. Everything looks good so far.

Windows 8.1 64 bit laptop:

Windows 7 32 bit desktop"

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to dp

Yikes!

848 MB of updates on Win 7 64 bit with Office 2013.

One computer down, two to go.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

4 recommendations

reply to dp

I had 10 important updates (over 100MB's). Downloading them was pretty quick, however, it took a long time for them to install. An I had to restart my Win 7 64 bit box twice to get the CPU usage down after installation.

My suggestion is to walk away during the install and not stop it if it takes a while.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

1 recommendation

no kiddin' and 3500 junk files and about 10registry errors........talk about a nightmare.......

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

2 recommendations

reply to lordpuffer

Those .NET updates are always big time consumers. The malicious tool thing also seemed to take longer than normal.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to dp

MS Recommending MS14-045 (2984615) Be Uninstalled if you are getting BSODs or other erratic behavior.

Title: Microsoft Security Bulletin Re-Releases
Issued: August 15, 2014

Summary
=======
The following bulletins have undergone a major revision increment.
Please see the appropriate bulletin for more details.

* MS14-045 - Important

Bulletin Information:
=====================

MS14-045 - Important

- »technet.microsoft.com/library/se···ms14-045
- Reason for Revision: V2.0 (August 15, 2014): Bulletin revised
to remove Download Center links for Microsoft security update
2982791. Microsoft recommends that customers uninstall this
update. See the Update FAQ for details.
- Originally posted: August 12, 2014
- Updated: August 15, 2014
- Bulletin Severity Rating: Important
- Version: 2.0

I haven't had any issues with my Win8.1 desktop so I'll leave things as is for now.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Do you have any open type font shortcuts in the Windows Fonts directory?
Have you done at least two COLD boots, since installing KB2982791, successfully?

The issue is primarily affecting Windows 7 but also some Windows 8/8.1 installations also.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to dp

Microsoft has issued a hotfix related to MS14-051 and older MS14-037.

After you apply the MS14-037 or MS14-051 cumulative security update for Internet Explorer, web applications that implement consecutive modal dialog boxes may cause Internet Explorer to become slow and unresponsive over time. This issue occurs in Internet Explorer versions 7 through 11.

You can download the hotfix here.

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2991509

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to digitalfutur

MS14-045 actually suggests uninstalling (up to) 4 different updates (depending on OS):

KB2982791
KB2970228
KB2975719
KB2975331

I haven't had any issues with my Win7 64 after these updates either and have left it for now.

What have the rest of you done?

NICK ADSL UK
Premium,MVM
join:2004-02-22
Reviews:
·Zen Internet
reply to dp

MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 12, 201

Known issues with this security update

Known issue 1
After you install this security update, fonts that are installed in a location other than the default fonts directory (%windir%\fonts\) cannot be changed when they are loaded into any active session. Attempts to change, replace, or delete these fonts will be blocked, and a "File in use" message will be presented.

Known issue 2
Microsoft is investigating behavior in which fonts do not render correctly after any of the following updates are installed:

Known issue 3
Microsoft is investigating behavior in which systems may crash with a 0x50 Stop error message (bugcheck) after any of the following updates are installed:

Status
Microsoft has removed the download links to these updates while these issues are being investigated.

please note you only need to remove these updates if your computer has crashed or is unstable since these updates were installed

To remove these updates please follow the link below and read carefully about uninstalling them

Mitigations

Restart the computer in safe mode:
Windows 7
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1:
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791
--
Wilders Security Forum Admin
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mister_E

said by Mister_E:

What have the rest of you done?

I uninstalled KB2982791 but left the rest. I did not have any problems before uninstalling but it seemed prudent to go ahead and uninstall that one. I'm on Win 7 64 bit.