uniqs
share rss forum feed

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Blue Ridge Dream

Saw a billboard on Rt 33 with a Tivo logo peaking through a gradient black background and all it said was "Blue Ridge Dream - Coming soon".

Site is here:
»www.brctv.com/tivo

Feel free to post back if and when this is available and if you get it.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
They have advertised it on TV. Sounds interesting but given their prices are very high for everything, I suspect I will stay with my SiliconDust hdhomerun prime.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
I did not see any pricing information.

I am curious as to what is the pricing. Also did they work with Tivo to get an IP back channel for SDV, or does this require a tuning adapter. Third, are some retail Tivo features removed, such as Netflix or Amazon Prime, in favor of Blue Ridge on Demand?

I saw the latest Tivo software release will allow an MSO to forgo a tuning adapter if they install servers in the headend to establish an IP tunnel for connectivity. Is this Tivo running a built in DOCSIS modem, or will it require Internet Access and your own (or rented) modem or gateway well?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
I will pay attention to the commercial next time and see if they say anything about Netflix or Prime. Their SDV tuner does work well for me, I suspect they will not go to the expense of adding the IP Back channel servers but I guess anything is possible.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Well how many channels are on SDV anyway? Is there a list on their site (I didn't see one)? I suppose if they are offering an MSO version with on demand, it has to have IP back channel for that at least. An all in one box makes sense if they are supporting it (less to go wrong).

RCN doesn't use SDV so this never came up, however their on demand works through it, and recently they opened up Netflix, along with a shortcut to it on channel 500.

I take it Blue Ridge Dream is the 6 tuner Roamio "T6" and mini clients are used in other rooms via Moca?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
As I said they have advertised it on TV but I forgot to mention they said "coming soon". So until they actual offer it the only details are in the TV commercial which I admit caught my eye and I normally ignore TV commercials. I will try and pay careful attention to the details in the commercial if I see it again, so I can tell you what it says.
--

zm03

join:2008-04-07
Kunkletown, PA
reply to cypherstream
Noticed a few of these billboards around in the Blue Ridge service area. Not much info about Dream yet. Here is a TiVo press release.

»investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zhtml?···ghlight=

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Thanks, good press release. Confirms what I thought, T6, Previews, stream, web portal, etc...

We'll have to see if this is an eventual phase out of the Cisco / Passport stuff, as in the first paragraph it says "exclusively provide".

Rumor I heard was August availability, but these things tend to slip a bit.

Service Electric just launched Arris Moxi 6 tuner whole home DVR in July. I think Tivo is more robust and will receive more attention when it comes to software updates and functionality improvements as time goes on. Blue Ridge made the right choice. Who knows what ever happened to those really slick HD versions of the Passport Echo software that were floating about the Internet a few years ago. You'd think that would be out by now, as the Cisco 8642 HDC is proven to be able to drive a full screen HD GUI. Blue Ridge must have gotten tired of waiting on Rovi, so I don't blame them for choosing Tivo.

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA
reply to cypherstream
I miss having Blue Ridge. I live in the New Tripoli and cable stops 1/2 mile from our house. We moved two years ago but used to have Blue Ridge at our old house.

Their prices were reasonable, usually better than Service Electric, and I still think they offer more HD channels than Service Electric.

I wish they didn't want $22,000 to expand a 1/2 mile so we could get them again!

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA
reply to cypherstream
Saw a billboard for Dream on Route 248 near Palmerton today. It was just black, the corner said "Blue Ridge Dream coming soon" and the TiVo antenna were sticking up off the top, not connected to anything.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
reply to cypherstream
Cypher-
They could get Katy Perry to sing the theme song - ala Teenage Dream. LOL.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5
reply to cypherstream
Testing

edm1820

join:2001-11-09
Albrightsville, PA

4 edits
reply to cypherstream
Just wondering if anyone had this yet? Looks like it's a TiVo Roamio Plus system they are using (6 tuner, 1tb drive, etc). They are also offering tivo mini's (which will run off the main DVR)

Pricing seems fair. It's $20 for the main DVR (Tivo "dream") device and $6 a month for each mini you add (I think you can have up to 5). In comparison, right now I have the regular HD dvr ($10 a month) and two regular HD set top boxes ($6 each), so the Tivo with two mini's would only cost $10 more a month. Not bad considering the mini's are essentially dvr's.

Anyway, I have an install appointment for early Nov. will let you know how it goes.