spc
Search similar:

uniqs

manuel034
@207.172.184.x

manuel034

Anon

Router recommendation

I'm looking to replace my current (cisco linksys ea2700) router. I have a cable modem and I'd like a new router with extra features. Any recommendations of brands/models that have the following features:

Must have:

1. SPI firewall
2. Supports sending firewall logs to the computer (via syslog port or other method but not email).
3. Supports at least 4 wired LAN connections.
4. Able to disable wireless when not needed, using configuration.

Highly desirable but not absolutely needed:

1. Switch to turn wireless on/off
2. Guest wireless
3. Naturally, I want the best possible speed but this is used for connecting 5 computers (4 wired and one wireless) and only 2 of them are on or used at a time. We do not use it for games, streaming HD content, etc. So, speed capability is not as critical even though that might change in the future. Security (firewall and logging) are more important.

Price: I'm hoping to find one that meets these requirements for about $100 but I would pay up to $200.

Unfortunately, sales people at Best Buys and a couple of other stores were not sure about logging, syslog, etc.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

I use this site to compare features and price for home routers
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· rts/view

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to manuel034

to manuel034
One router that I use quite often is the Belkin F7D4302, F7D8302, or F7D9302.
All three of them are actually the same hardware, they just keep issuing different model numbers for marketing reasons.

The other thing is that I replace the factory firmware with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. I'm running a version of the latest release of the Shibby Tomato firmware at this time.

»tomato.groov.pl/

The router I am presently connected to is using Tomato firmware and allows me to configure the button on top of the router for Wireless On/Off.

Yes you can send logs to a PC of your choice.
Guest wireless available.

As the router only supports up to the "N" standard it has been discounted quite a bit lately. I like the dual radios which can be individually turned off in case you don't want to run at say 5Mhz.

Check out some of the prices here at Ebay and I'm sure at other places as well.
»www.ebay.com/itm/like/16 ··· ?lpid=82 Just be sure to read everything about one on Ebay should you decide to get one there as many use shipping costs to make up for the low initial price they show in their posting.

I for one find the prices at places like Best Buy laughable at best when it comes to routers, especially when routers like the above Belkin are available at below $40. with a little looking around.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out and many other brands can do similar but at least those I've configured for others or myself have worked as expected once we replaced the original firmware with Tomato or optionally DD-WRT.

Most negative reviews on this model are based on the factory firmware which can be used by many but I find the 3rd party firmware like Tomato to have many more features and way fewer problems.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Or OpenWRT. Pretty much like a standard Linux distro on your router with the scalability for the exact features you want complete with package manager. I used it for a long time. Performance is great because you can run just what you use.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

1 edit

XANAVirus to manuel034

Premium Member

to manuel034
I'd be partial towards ZyXEL brand router/wireless combos (e.g. t he USG series).

They have whole-network security features (under the UTM name), but those are subscription based and you likely don't want those.

If you drop the yearly subscriptions the hardware is quite top-notch. The lower end hardware minus the UTM features is quite beefy and the price is quite nice - $150 for a USG20W on Amazon with Gigabit ports and integrated Wireless-N.

If you wanted to go full-blown techie, I'd probably go for Ubiquiti or Mikrotik gear. Those models are what I'm using at work and home, respectively, and have worked awesomely since I installed them.

A Mikrotik Routerboard 2011UiAS-2HnD-IN has remote syslog support, dual wireless-N (no 5Ghz) chain radio, 10 Ethernet (5 Gigabit, 5 Fast Ethernet) ports for $130 on Amazon.

No whole-network security features minus a firewall and the usual encrypted wireless support, but it makes up for it with 1 whole watt of Transmission power which should cover your whole house quite nicely, I'd imagine.

The configuration isn't for those who aren't already experienced in networking installation since you have to do almost all of it yourself in order for this model to even work as a home router.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to manuel034

Premium Member

to manuel034
I would not recommend the zyxel soho, small business vpn routers for your home wifi needs. www.smallnetbuilder.com is the place to start your research. I would imagine some of the newer linksys ones would meet your needs if you wanted to stay with that brand. The popular ones these days are ASUS and Netgear (top end models).