join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

telcodad to Darknessfall

MVM

to Darknessfall

[Connectivity] Re: DSLReports.com currently unreachable from Comcast Indiana

said by Darknessfall:

It works for me now without anything extra.

Well, you're on AT&T's U-verse. Even though that report says AT&T is one of the ISPs affected, your part of it must not be then.

EDIT: OK, from »Cannot Access Website Through U-verse Connection , I see you were affected earlier today. I guess AT&T's routes have been fixed now.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

Re: DSLReports.com currently unreachable from Comcast Indiana

said by telcodad:

Well, you're on AT&T's U-verse. Even though that report says AT&T is one of the ISPs affected, your part of it must not be then.

EDIT: OK, from »Cannot Access Website Through U-verse Connection , I see you were affected earlier today. I guess AT&T's routes have been fixed now.

Things may still be in a state of flux. Earlier today, both my Comcast and U-verse connections had changed from using Comcast's Ibone for a gateway to LiquidWeb, to using Level3. As of just a few minutes ago, both of the connections have now reverted to using the Comcast Ibone. However, I now see a Comcast Ibone hop that rDNS implies is from Los Angeles:
  6    30 ms    30 ms    29 ms  he-2-11-0-0-cr01.chicago.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.89.5]
  7    29 ms    31 ms    31 ms  be-10406-cr01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.210]
  8    29 ms    29 ms    29 ms  he-1-11-0-0-cr01.losangeles.ca.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.86.10]
  9    29 ms    29 ms   123 ms  50.242.150.126
 10    39 ms    40 ms    40 ms  lw-dc2-core3-te9-1.rtr.liquidweb.com [209.59.157.224]

However, the transit times don't jive with a trip to LA; so that might imply that Comcast has replaced a router, but hasn't (yet) changed its rDNS to match the current location.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I am now able to get to the site from my Comcast line.

ccneteng
Comcast Employee
Premium Member
join:2008-02-06
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

ccneteng to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

] so that might imply that Comcast has replaced a router, but hasn't (yet) changed its rDNS to match the current location.

No router replacement... but yes, bad DNS record

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Camelot One

MVM

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

I am now able to get to the site from my Comcast line.

Accessing it OK now from home on Comcast's residential HSI service.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to ccneteng

Premium Member

to ccneteng
said by ccneteng:

said by NetFixer:

] so that might imply that Comcast has replaced a router, but hasn't (yet) changed its rDNS to match the current location.

No router replacement... but yes, bad DNS record

Sometimes anecdotal "evidence" is significant -- sometimes it is just a coincidence.

Yep, it is quite likely (especially considering the current BGP 512k limit explanation of the problem) that the "Los Angeles" router might have been randomly in use for a long time, but I just never previously happened to do a traceroute wherein I noticed it being used. Dynamic routing is after all what the Internet does.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

Dynamic routing is after all what the Internet does.

Yep and BGP likes to build a full internet table so routers that are core to the internet backbone should be kept updated enough to always host the full table.