how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fred Apple

join:2004-07-22
Stonewall, MB

HDMI Monitors

My wife’s work just upgraded computers from a desktop to a laptop. She would like to use a monitor instead of the laptop screen. The outputs of the laptop are: 1 - SuperSpeed USB 3.0, 2 - Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 1 - HDMI, 1 - RJ-45 (LAN). I believe the only option is to use the HDMI output (do not care about sound). The question is: At what size does monitors start coming with HDMI inputs?

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

About seven inches. What size monitor do you want?

Fred Apple

Stonewall, MB
reply to Fred Apple

A seven inch monitor does not work well in a secretary / treasure position. What is the next reasonable size?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

What is "reasonable" for you? They basically come in "most" sizes, for example: »www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···NodeId=1
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to Fred Apple

It depends on how much you want to spend, not necessary size. For work I've ordered ultra cheap 22" Dell monitors that just have VGA and DVI inputs, but have also ordered 20"ers that have VGA, DVI and HDMI. If you have an existing monitor that has DVI, you can always get an HDMI -> DVI cable for $15-20 at a place like Monoprice.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
reply to Fred Apple

There is also the option of a docking station with a monitor. Works better if she needs to take the laptop out to work away from her desk often. No messing with cables.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY
reply to Fred Apple

my laptop comes with HDMI and mini displayport...I bought an HDMI to DVI cable for about $4 which has been working great. For the size of the monitor, you can buy whatever size you want as others pointed out. I like 24" monitors myself but everyone has their own preference.

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3
reply to Fred Apple

The sweet spot for size at low is 24". Something in the 22-24" range is probably what you are looking for.

Do you already have a monitor just not with hdmi?

Fred Apple

Stonewall, MB
reply to Fred Apple

Yes she has monitor already and it does not have the HDMI input. In Nick response a HDMI to DVI cable is a way to go, but I have to check what the input on the monitor is now. Thanks for the help everybody.

ninja5027

join:2002-02-08
Dry Ridge, KY
reply to Fred Apple

SAMSUNG SD300 Series S20D300H Red Gradation Glossy 20" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor TN Panel
D-Sub: 1
DVI: No
Stand Adjustments: Round (-1degree to +20 degree)
Built-in Speakers: No

119.00 at newegg

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to Fred Apple

Since for the purpose of this use DVI and HDMI can be considered identical (you only need a an HDMI to DVI adapter that can be had under 5 bucks, or a HDMI to DVI cable) you can use any pre-existing monitor that has DVI.

If you want to buy new, you probably want one that has a native HDMI -- common sizes are from 19" to 30". If you want a bigger display, there are a few bigger monitors, or you van use a TV since HDMI is a de facto standard on all recent TVs.
--
.sig