Search similar:

uniqs
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

1 edit

PowerMac

ViaSat to offer "unlimited" internet plan

ViaSat to offer virtually "unlimited" internet plan on August 18. This plan called the "Freedom". Freedom plan is $70 per month or $60 when bundled with phone service. In their fine print, Freedom plan have 150GB cap. We dont know if the cap is enforced or not. We see about that on Aug 18! Soon people can stream Netflix as much as they want!!...Well kinda
»www.engadget.com/2014/08 ··· ed-plan/
»www.marketwatch.com/stor ··· 14-08-12

N4ST
Jim
Premium Member
join:2005-11-25
Jersey, VA

N4ST

Premium Member

Ten times my current data cap for $10/month less? Call me a Doubting Thomas, but I can't believe that will be true. Maybe just an expanded Evolution plan? I am currently in Beam 329 which runs at 75%-80% capacity all day long. I can't imagine what it would be like if the data cap was lifted. But, then again, maybe Beam 329 won't be one of the "selected" areas on the Eastern Seaboard. Time will tell.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

1 edit

DrStrangLov to PowerMac

to PowerMac
said by PowerMac:

on August 18. This plan called the "Freedom". Freedom plan

Ah yes, since Anik-F2 and WB-1 have lost thousands of users when ViaSat-1 went live, there is plenty of slower speed bandwidth available on these birds

Anyone for 3G speeds? Really Fast!
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to PowerMac

to PowerMac
I will be very interested to see if they can maintain a 150gb cap without speeds slowing to a crawl, otherwise it will be useless.

Could certainly be game change for consumer satellite if this pans out
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to PowerMac

Premium Member

to PowerMac
It's unlimited only for most web browsing and email. Not for media streaming. That counts against your meager 5GB cap. And I have NO idea how they determine if your SSL traffic is email or video without effecting a MitM scenario.

Engadget did a lousy job reading before writing on this one.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

said by lorennerol:

It's unlimited only for most web browsing and email. Not for media streaming. That counts against your meager 5GB cap. And I have NO idea how they determine if your SSL traffic is email or video without effecting a MitM scenario.

That plan you talking about is Evolution for unlimited web browsing and email. Not Freedom
»www.exede.com/evolution
PowerMac

PowerMac to chances14

to chances14
said by chances14:

I will be very interested to see if they can maintain a 150gb cap without speeds slowing to a crawl, otherwise it will be useless.

Could certainly be game change for consumer satellite if this pans out

Yeah, I will be interested as well especially they have limited capacity on each beam
Teresa50
join:2014-04-30
Greenfield, TN

Teresa50 to PowerMac

to PowerMac
Yeah offering it to new customers only which I think is a bunch of poo!!!!

SandyEggo
@75.80.113.x

SandyEggo

Anon

said by Teresa50:

Yeah offering it to new customers only which I think is a bunch of poo!!!!

Oh? Where do you see that it is new customers only? I don't see that mentioned in the MarketWatch Press Release?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to PowerMac

Premium Member

to PowerMac
According to their earnings call, it is only going to be available to areas that they have a low subscriber uptake and are unlikely to run into capacity issues in the near future. It is also only going to be offered as a promotion for 6 months that ViaSat will have decide whether or not to extend.

They talk about it several times here:
(You have to be registered with Seeking Alpha to read the entire transcript)
»seekingalpha.com/article ··· t=single

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to PowerMac

to PowerMac
I guarantee one thing . . . . It wont be at FULL SPEED . . . No way they could beam 12-15mbps out to each subscriber under this plan . . . . NO WAY.

It would probably be a "reduced or throttled" speed thing. it wont be full speed.

Yeah, 5,000 users streaming Netflix for 12 hours straight..... NOT!

this will probably be the "abuse the hell out of it just because we can" mentality.
cool88
join:2014-04-18

cool88

this is gonna be good for the sat internet hopefully exede can give out like 4mbps and 768kbps upload with that big cap I dont think they can do 12-15mbps down or even 3mbps up either

N4ST
Jim
Premium Member
Jersey, VA

N4ST to PowerMac

Premium Member

to PowerMac
Like Silbaco says, it most likely will only be offered in beams that are under utilized. Subscriber numbers have leveled off and there is extra bandwidth in those beams, so raise the data caps and raise the prices and make more money from the same number of subscribers.
LINCSAT
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Markham, ON

LINCSAT to PowerMac

Premium Member

to PowerMac
Click for full size
Click for full size
I think this a prelude to viasat 2 that is going into service in 2016 and will have 150-300GiG caps!!!!!!
rustyself
join:2014-08-14

rustyself to PowerMac

to PowerMac
joined just to chime in on this; just waited on exede's 855 customer service number for a LONG TIME, just to be informed that this will only be for NEW customers, and maybe sometime in the future(?) they would offer it to current subs.
she also told me they would rather cancel my account than offer me the new freedom plan, that they were only going to offer it to VERY, VERY limited, specific areas that aren't oversold.
she went on to say this was only to attract new customers and that it wouldn't last forever.

i will be canceling as soon as my wifinwireless modem comes in...
DrStrangLov

1 edit

DrStrangLov

said by rustyself:

this will only be for NEW customers

Considering states of Hawaii, Maine and Alaska have a small population density, its quite possible existing users could transfer over.

In any event, there will always be a throttling condition for all consumer-users when a beam is being loaded. Its been that way on cellphones and satellite for years.
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to PowerMac

to PowerMac
The devil is always in the details!

Going to be offered in locations with low beam utilization to begin with. That is probably because those locations are sparsely populated OR they have other options for high-speed internet.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to PowerMac

Premium Member

to PowerMac
It'll make it a viable option for customers of cable ISPs who want an alternative. Maybe that's who they're targeting. Comcast has really gone downhill lately and I've had several outages in the last few months. Not to mention modem resets and other connectivity issues. I'm seriously thinking of getting exede and I live in the city. Maybe they're marketing the freedom plan to people who have wired options. And yes I've seen Exede/ HughesNet dishes in the city.
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to PowerMac

to PowerMac
People who would drop cable internet for satellite need to do their homework first. I don't care how bad the cable internet is. It might sound great, but once you experience the high latency and weather outages of satellite internet...it isn't so attractive.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by ExSatUser:

People who would drop cable internet for satellite need to do their homework first.

Other than FPS gaming and VPN, satellite is on par with land based cable providers.

There are some ISPs who are using tier Mbyte-pricing, along with big cable doing some in select cities.

Locally here, if you want Netflix, you have to move up to their second tier; for another carrier elsewhere, if you want internet, you have to bundle TV with internet...$100/month, but it is a fiber service.

The one offers (base tier) "High Speed Internet- up to 1.5 Mbps."

Folks in smaller rural towns do not see fast cable...

N4ST
Jim
Premium Member
Jersey, VA

N4ST to PowerMac

Premium Member

to PowerMac
If you go to the Exede website and enter your zip code, you can see what plans are going to be offered in your area. The announcement may be coming on Monday, but you can see what will be offered now. My zip code is eligible for double FAP for the classic Exede plans, for THE FIRST SIX MONTHS and then it drops back to the standard FAP. I knew I shouldn't have got my hopes up...
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to PowerMac

to PowerMac
Isn't it for new subscribers only? Even if you lived in a certain geographic location that offers it, if you are an existing subscriber I am not even sure you get it. But for 6 months only...what would be the point. Hey I can enjoy additional internet for 6 months...but then after I get use to that I have to cut back. Darn!!! lol

N4ST
Jim
Premium Member
Jersey, VA

N4ST

Premium Member

said by ExSatUser:

if you are an existing subscriber I am not even sure you get it.

You have to subscribe *after* Aug 15 to get the double FAP plans in my area, so yeah, new subscribers only.
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to PowerMac

to PowerMac
So basically a marketing ploy. Only a few select beams in the country. Only new customers. But they can now say they are the "first" satellite internet service to offer "unlimited" data usage. Subsequently it creates a lot of buzz and articles about Exede.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to PowerMac

to PowerMac
Click for full size
Here's what's on the website to order now.
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to PowerMac

to PowerMac
For select zip codes.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna
This is what it says in my are as of Saturday Aug 16.

I'm hoping they offer the freedom plan. I still haven't decided I am totally dissatisfied with my current provider and I'm desperate for any alternative including satellite.

ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to PowerMac

to PowerMac
Good luck with giving up cable internet for satellite!

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

My next door neighbor has exede, yet we have 60mbps charter cable internet here. Go figure.
said by ExSatUser:

Good luck with giving up cable internet for satellite!

cool88
join:2014-04-18

cool88

in my area I have 6mbps dsl but a mile down street they can only get 1mbps and I have the 3 new exede plans.