Search similar:

uniqs

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to cool88

to cool88

Re: ViaSat to offer "unlimited" internet plan

DSL is limited by distance from the central office/hub.....
said by cool88:

in my area I have 6mbps dsl but a mile down street they can only get 1mbps and I have the 3 new exede plans.

cool88
join:2014-04-18

cool88 to PowerMac

to PowerMac
Click for full size
this is a photo of the plans in my area now.
cool88

cool88 to compuguybna

to compuguybna
thats the truth and the hub/co frontier dont put as many out in place like they should the best thing about my dsl is its fiber to the dslam and then adsl2+/vdsl copper to the home.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac to cool88

to cool88
Click for full size
They also bump up data plan(for 6month) in my area
PowerMac

PowerMac to compuguybna

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

My next door neighbor has exede, yet we have 60mbps charter cable internet here. Go figure.

said by ExSatUser:

Good luck with giving up cable internet for satellite!

I have TWC 15mbps plan will soon become 50mbps when they go all digital in my area. My neighbor got Exede and other neighbor behind my house have DishNet. Yeah go figure
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

3 edits

silbaco to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna
said by PowerMac:

They also bump up data plan(for 6month) in my area

I am seeing that too. But what happens after 6 months? If it just reverts back to the regular caps, there are going to be a lot of pissed off customers in 6 months. As innovative as Exede claims to be, their overages are still the definition of insanity and not even close to innovative.
said by compuguybna:

My next door neighbor has exede, yet we have 60mbps charter cable internet here. Go figure.

said by ExSatUser:

I saw another Exede dish pop up near here in the last couple months. That house has both cable and ftth available. I know neither company is that great but I seriously can't imagine why someone would give up cable or fiber for satellite. Especially when the fiber is unlimited use and the cable is almost certainly cheaper.
cool88
join:2014-04-18

cool88

it goes from the unlimted to umlimted evoloution plan with 20gbs of data for movies etc..
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

said by ExSatUser:

People who would drop cable internet for satellite need to do their homework first.

Other than FPS gaming and VPN, satellite is on par with land based cable providers.

There are some ISPs who are using tier Mbyte-pricing, along with big cable doing some in select cities.

Locally here, if you want Netflix, you have to move up to their second tier; for another carrier elsewhere, if you want internet, you have to bundle TV with internet...$100/month, but it is a fiber service.

The one offers (base tier) "High Speed Internet- up to 1.5 Mbps."

Folks in smaller rural towns do not see fast cable...

how are https sites and exede? When i had hughesnet a few years ago on the hn9000, pretty much all https loaded at dial up speed due to the latency. Made for online banking and shopping quite the chore
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to ExSatUser

Premium Member

to ExSatUser
said by ExSatUser:

I have great cox internet sometimes high 20 down, usually about 12 or so.
Which is plenty fine.

I also have Exede 12 on a different AP.
(I sell satellite & for a couple of WISPs)

I can tell VERY little difference with page loads between cox & Exede.
I don't game at all so not an issue.
I can RDP just fine, not as snappy on Exede but totally doable.

I have many subs on Exede that dropped their DSL because their DSL was often less than 1 meg and they are in a dense high income area.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to PowerMac

Premium Member

to PowerMac
Checked today on launch day (Aug 18) for the new 150GB tier in my zip code (01151) and they're not offering it in my area.
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to PowerMac

to PowerMac
You show as Springfield MA. I am surprised they wouldn't offer the new plans in your area since I wouldn't expect the beam to be that full for your location.

What plans were offered? Just 5GB/Month Evolution and the Classic plans?
Teresa50
join:2014-04-30
Greenfield, TN

Teresa50 to SandyEggo

to SandyEggo
Go to their website new customers only I am already a customer and don't receive it nor can I receive it.

fess
Central Pa
join:2003-10-17
Williamsport, PA

fess to PowerMac

to PowerMac
Not offered in 17756 either which sucks because I would have pulled the trigger on this plan in a heartbeat since my current connection is basically two tin cans with a string connecting them together.
bcltoys
join:2008-07-21

bcltoys to PowerMac

to PowerMac
Yesterday it was offered in the 21919 zip today it is not. Go figger
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to PowerMac

to PowerMac
Must have sold one or two new subscriptions .

The whole thing smells of a marketing ploy to generate some "buzz" about Exede which has seen stagnant growth lately. If you have just one sub on "unlimited", then you can say the first satellite company to offer "no cap".

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Yeah, quite deceptive, but that's the business world....Its generated a lotta chatter for Exede/Viasat for sure......
said by ExSatUser:

Must have sold one or two new subscriptions .

The whole thing smells of a marketing ploy to generate some "buzz" about Exede which has seen stagnant growth lately. If you have just one sub on "unlimited", then you can say the first satellite company to offer "no cap".

DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to ExSatUser

to ExSatUser
said by ExSatUser:

stagnant growth

There are only X number of customers, and the vast majority of Internet-Pilgrims are on-board.

Btw, "stagnant" I think here means those leaving were replaced by newcomers.

bak2sat
@170.54.58.x

bak2sat

Anon

Just ordered it installation scheduled for tomorrow.... we will see.

Currently using Exede through Dishnetwork so i guess they didnt see me as an existing customer.

If this works im cancelling my Dish tv/dish net!!

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

What about when they arrive and see an existing installation.... That might backfire....
said by bak2sat :

Currently using Exede through Dishnetwork so i guess they didnt see me as an existing customer.

Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

said by compuguybna:

What about when they arrive and see an existing installation.... That might backfire....

said by bak2sat :

If they current mount is solid, gravy job for installer...
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to PowerMac

to PowerMac
From my research they won't care if the customer had Exede through Dishnet, only if it was Exede from a local dealer or Viasat. So there shouldn't be any problem to dump Exede Dishnet and become a "new" customer with Viasat.

bak2sat
@184.21.48.x

bak2sat to compuguybna

Anon

to compuguybna
The installer asked about it but since I was paying Dish I wasnt considered an exede customer no worries there he said. It was 18 down 3 up when the installer was here at 10am but now its 2 down 1 up.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Maybe not such a good move??? Seems satellite hasn't change and can't take the load??
said by bak2sat :

The installer asked about it but since I was paying Dish I wasnt considered an exede customer no worries there he said. It was 18 down 3 up when the installer was here at 10am but now its 2 down 1 up.

N4ST
Jim
Premium Member
join:2005-11-25
Jersey, VA

N4ST to bak2sat

Premium Member

to bak2sat
"It was 18 down 3 up when the installer was here at 10am but now its 2 down 1 up."

Funny thing. My numbers were a tad better than that for the first month and then I never see those numbers except ~ 5 am to 7 am. My modem stats are unchanged so I don't think anything has changed on my end. Still, after being on WildBlue for so many years, the ping time and overall speed improvements are great.

bak2sat
@170.54.58.x

bak2sat to compuguybna

Anon

to compuguybna
Ok update on the freedom plan: I hooked directly to the modem and got speed of 18 down and 3 up with laptop. When I connect through my wireless its 2down and 1 up? I have a cheapo wireless router so i ordered a new one that should hopefully clear that up???

I have a chromecast TV, Tablet, Two phones, and two laptops coming all off the wireless so I assume that was the reason?
LINCSAT
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Markham, ON

LINCSAT to PowerMac

Premium Member

to PowerMac
Click for full size
Bak2sat Does your new Exede Dish from viasat have the new transmitter vs your older exede by dish?
JSheridan
join:2006-07-03
USA

JSheridan

said by LINCSAT:

Bak2sat Does your new Exede Dish from viasat have the new transmitter vs your older exede by dish?

We've been getting the new dishes and ETRIA's and they are really nice. Much lighter and the SNR is usually 1.0 to 1.5 higher than the old dish/TRIA.

bak2sat
@184.21.48.x

bak2sat

Anon

Yep mine has the new style as you pictured. it looks considerably lighter than that old one did.
bak2sat
join:2014-08-25
Camilla, GA

bak2sat to LINCSAT

to LINCSAT
Its the new kind that are kind of squareish like you have pictured. The old one was longer and heavier.

N4ST
Jim
Premium Member
join:2005-11-25
Jersey, VA

N4ST

Premium Member

The new TRIA, like shown in the picture, is called an eTRIA and it is lighter and mounts on VS1300 single boom arm with the coax running inside the boom arm.