1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

What are these ceiling tiles called?

Click for full size
These things suck big time! How in the word do you stick the last tile in? Some slide and some don't but you can't really move them to make enough room.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

Insert an angle, slightly on diagonal, then let it drop in place.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Lol its not that type.. These all interlock into a tight non removable grid.. so you have to slide tiles to get to the one you want

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to Subaru

to Subaru
If you are trying to insert the tile and it has obstructions along any of the sides it can be difficult to install. Try installing in any obstructed areas first so you have ability to slide in an adjacent side and slide over to the difficult spot.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

3 recommendations

garys_2k to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Get good at these things...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to bmilone2

Premium Member

to bmilone2
The thing is getting the last tile in.. and no gaps
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Friend told me it's called a z spine celing

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

They're z-spline and depending on how old they are they could be impregnated with asbestos.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

They are not

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

2 recommendations

hitachi369 to Tex

Premium Member

to Tex
said by Tex:

They're z-spline and depending on how old they are they could be impregnated with asbestos.

The asbestos pulled out...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Done waaay back in 1992

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

2 recommendations

hitachi369

Premium Member

Damn, I was only 9, didnt even know about impregnation or pulling out.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Anyways most of you here don't seem like you have dealt with a Z-spline ceiling. let me tell you it's a huge pain!!

Trying to find the part that lifts and then side each tile until you get to the bad one.. Or having tiles that don't want to slide right..

I'm about to the point where I might glue fit instead... way too much to slide.. I would hope a large room would have more then one area tile that lifts up for access.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

I've had them. They suck.

There is only two things you can do with them:

1. Pull the entire ceiling down and replace it.
2. Don't touch it.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

fire marshall wants missing tiles replaced only because to stop the spread of smoke to another area if it was a fire.

The issue and why I spent so much time in one room (4 hours) was the old light fixtures are wider then the new one I put up (he wants covers on the fixtures) well the light fixture was covering a hole..

See it used to have incans for lights but they switched to florescent so they just took the fixture out but left the trim but put the florescent fixture up which covered the hole.. so now because my fixture is smaller I had to put a extra tile up and that was a huge pain.. I'm really serious about glueing it in place depending on the other tiles around it you can get a tight fit without the rails in the cutout.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

said by Subaru:

fire marshall wants missing tiles replaced only because to stop the spread of smoke to another area if it was a fire

The Fire Marshal probably wants it replaced, because you don't have sprinklers and/or smoke detectors above the hung ceiling.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Just odd because he told me he came in Jan of this year.. what happened years before this? Did they just not check?
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Also the louvers on the basement door they are rusted to the fact a few are missing.. Don't know if I should replace them if it's going to be a issue with him.. cheaper then a new fire door
keno5net
join:2002-01-05
Milwaukee, WI

keno5net to Subaru

to Subaru
I have used these years ago in commercial buildings. To work above the ceiling we would cut the tile at an angle to remove the back of the slot while leaving the front full size. to replace them we would slide an uncut edge onto the rail and support the other end with T pins pushed in at an angle on the other to support the cut end. the original installation used some sort of sliding support bracket with little tabs that could be slid outward along the unsupported edge and engage the rails at the corners.. Probably a poor description but in any case working with them was always a PITA.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

They have the little metal things that slide on the corners of the tile but getting it in being the last tile is where the issue starts, some sections of it has the metal T bar support for the tile that's suspended from the frame of the roof and the rest is supported on the little metal rails in the tiles.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Not There

1 recommendation

Drex to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Duct Tape.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Silly question do they still make these tiles? Downstairs in the store rooms is at least 10 missing tiles in total.. I have about 2 boxes worth.

The replacement is not so bad as I just removed 5 I just want to go above and beyond.

If you haven't noticed I'm a perfectionist on stuff that might stick out
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

I have a question the fire rated tiles have the silver backing on it right? The others have no silver backing on it.

Now another question can you pick more up local in this size?
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

I've got about 5 more tiles to go in the utility area amazing what you can find above it.. a friken large long wax candle stick from 1997, a green speckled rock.. and again a few uncovered junction boxes.. I don't know what's up with that. the biggest thing was having to cut the tiles to fit because in this area the tiles are about 1/2" too large on all sides so I had to trim it.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I found this:

»www.cablinginstall.com/a ··· ing.html

I think these are Concealed-Spline ceiling tiles so dunno if it helps...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I may have to call usg to fund out where I can get more tiles from. Not having much luck at all searching online
Subaru

1 edit

Subaru

Premium Member

I can't tell if this will work?

»www.grainger.com/product ··· smthumb$

The edge profile on the box says SESK but I can't find what that means

On a ebay listing they show a side view and it seems to have a channel for the rails

»www.ebay.com/itm/ARMSTRO ··· 405d984c

I just want to be sure before I place a order for them from Grainger.