dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dhinged
join:2014-06-17

dhinged

Modem/router USB port VPN and swap drive?

We want a secure server we can use for internet connections in public or in other countries so that we just hit an IP address with an encrypted string after that that gets processed as an internet request and sent back as a response so that anyone else on the public WiFi or whatever can't see what websites we're hitting and is not vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks. We may also want to hit internal shared computers, printers, or directories.

Since our work modem (and my home router) has a USB drive port, it would be nice to put a swap drive there, but then I thought, wouldn't it be possible to just have Linux on that drive acting as the VPN or swap drive?

What would I have to do to make this work?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

a) what's your budget?

b) what's your level of technical expertise?

c) what equipment -- exact make / model -- do you have right now?

d) how fast is your existing internet connection?

e) where exactly did the following requirement
said by dhinged:

is not vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks.

come from? Is this in relation to a specific vulnerability / attack?

Until you clarify the above, we can't give you much in the way of specifics.

Offhand though, VPN over SSH, or a remote-access VPN via IPSec or OpenVPN are some initial suggestions to look into.

My 00000010bits

Regards
dhinged
join:2014-06-17

dhinged

Let me simplify this because I don't model-specific detail on this... all we want to do is be able to connect to our internal network safely from a public WiFi while also having our internet connection go through that VPN.

By man-in-the-middle attack, I mean someone on a public (even secure) WiFi snagging your request through the air and spoofing your request through the public router.

All we need is a way to connect to one IP address and pass encrypted parameters in the request (where we already have a private key set up from the VPN server while we were initially connected to it) and be able to surf the web that way and also view files on the internal network.

I know it's possible I'm just not sure the best way to do it. I'm just looking for the best way to start or recommendations on what protocols to use etc. I can either set it up on our company's modem or on our website's server, such as a dev box in the cloud.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to dhinged

MVM

to dhinged
said by dhinged:

all we want to do is be able to connect to our internal network safely from a public WiFi while also having our internet connection go through that VPN.

...and this is a question I have seen asked about a million times here in this forum before, so no need to "simplify."
I already gave you 3 possible ways of doing this
said by HELLFIRE:

VPN over SSH, or a remote-access VPN via IPSec, or OpenVPN

Set up according to best configuration and security practices, you should not
have any issues with MITM attacks.

To get more detailed, you're going to need to pick one method and answer the remaining 4 questions I specified.

Regards
switchman
join:1999-11-06

switchman to dhinged

to dhinged
Along with HELLFIRE's questions, how many max concurrent VPN links are you looking for.