uniqs
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

1 edit

amungus

Premium Member

switching from another provider (TV - Dish to Cox)

Need to find out when the Dish contract is up, first. I know it's within a month or two.
First, we already have HSI service (preferred), does this play into eligibility for promo pricing on TV packages? Any incentives to switch? I know there used to be some deals there.

Second, I don't want a box. I want a cable card. I intend to get an HD Homerun Prime, and simply use my media center PC.
How does pricing work on the "Economy" tier? It looks like the standard receiver is "included" in the pricing. Would a cable card be "included" as well, or, would it still just have a monthly fee?

Third - I read on another post that the "Economy" tier had a price bump. Not seeing that in my area (......yet......). Is the increase expected spread to more markets / all markets? Don't care a *lot* about that, but I'm curious. Don't want the price lock deal either. I'm just not comfortable with a contract on the acct. Never had one with Cox, don't intend on getting locked into one.

Fourth - Can one add the "variety" pack, and/or other "packs" to this "Economy" tier? It seems, on web checkout, that HBO (and other movie channels) is available as an option, but the others are not (whereas, they are available to select for "Advanced" TV packages). Not a dealbreaker, just hoping it's possible that a rep can do this, even if it doesn't look possible on the site.

That's about it. Just looking at these options before making the switch. Might have time to visit the local "Solutions Store," but, being a college town, I'm sure they're swamped right about now. Thought I'd post here first
Maltz
join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR
Calix 844G
Netgate SG-2100
Ubiquiti U6-LR

Maltz

Re: swithing from another provider (TV - Dish to Cox)

I can't answer most of those questions, but I can give a little info about the cable card. I doubt it will be included, but the monthly price on that is fairly negligible. Mine is something like $2 or $2.50/mo.

I've heard some people say that Cox requires a professional install for a cable card, but that isn't always the case. Mine was very easy self-install; they didn't even mention pro install. I just asked for a cable card and walked out of the store with the card, a tuning adaptor, and a phone number to call to activate it. YMMV
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus
what state do you live in(location) I'm pretty sure since your a current customer no promo could be wrong though. Not all cox areas have the same deals at the same time. you will need to call in and ask.
ajwees41

ajwees41 to Maltz

Premium Member

to Maltz
they are supposed to allow self installs of cable cards.
The Saguaro
join:2002-05-18
Tucson, AZ

The Saguaro to amungus

to amungus
In your order of questions --

1. You would qualify for new customer pricing for TV. No incentives to switch at the present time.

2. Card fee ranges from 1.99/mo to 2.50 depending on zip code.

3. Economy has not had a price increase since the last general increase. Price locks are optional, but you may not get the "best" pricing.

4. Nope. Not possible. Contractual issues.
amungus
Premium Member
America

amungus

Premium Member

Good deal, thanks all for the answers! I did end up visiting the store last night, as they weren't too busy. Rep said exactly as much as above.

Still waiting to find out when the Dish is up. I'm just tired of it. Not nearly as good with HD as Cox. I don't much like the DVR box (722). On a 42" TV, it looks alright, but on a 50" screen, you can really tell the difference.

The rep also mentioned that they could probably do the "Advanced TV" bundle (even though we already have preferred internet"). Looking at this, it seems that the pricing here is actually slightly better than Economy + internet, at least for the 12 months. And that's how they suck you in...

Hopefully be able to do this soon. Been interested in the HD Homerun Prime since before it even came out.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to The Saguaro

MVM

to The Saguaro
said by The Saguaro:

1. You would qualify for new customer pricing for TV. No incentives to switch at the present time.

I have Cox Internet and phone for 11 years. Two years ago I thought that I would try Cox TV. They treated me as an existing customer and would not give any new customer package prices or bundled price. Pay full price. TV + Internet + Phone = $180/mo.
amungus
Premium Member
America

amungus

Premium Member

Sorry to hear that. Wonder if that's because of the phone being in the mix? The rep I spoke with last night said we could work a deal out.
signcarver
join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

signcarver to amungus

to amungus

Re: switching from another provider (TV - Dish to Cox)

Most of the terms for new bundle prices, though the first line may state offer is for new customers only, now also state they apply to new subscriptions of services to complete the x-service bundle (where x is the number of services)... in the past, they didn't have this.

I am getting a lot of mail directed to me (as opposed to "resident" and I get a lot of those too) stating to add phone (and/or dvr service) to qualify for the new bundle offers... looking at the offers some imply that the free install or free premiums may only be good for new customers while the rate is good for adding the service to complete the bundle. In my case it looks like $10-$15 more per month for 12 months ($45 more per month for the 2nd year as there is a built in $30 hike after month 12) will get me 6 tuner contour, all movie premiums, and phone service... tempting but it still makes me spend more per month.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to amungus

MVM

to amungus

Since my last post, I received a letter in the mail from Cox. They are offering me a bundle with my current Internet and Phone plus the TV since I have been a long term existing customer.

Preferred Internet (what I have now), telephone Essential (what I have now) plus Contour TV plus HBO (Advanced TV or higher) for $119.99/mo for 12 months. It does not mention what happens after 12 months.
amungus
Premium Member
America

amungus

Premium Member

Got confirmation that dish contract is up.

Visit the cox site, and plans have changed. No option online to get a cable card. What the actual ....
Also, without 24 mo. contract, no 12 mo. pricing. Again... What the ...

This does not inspire me to want to move TV services.

Are cable card options still available at all anymore? Did they scrap it because of the recent FCC ruling?

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

I just looked at the Cox site in LV. Look for the existing customer options. Cable Card is offered for $1.99/mo. They have 12/24 packages. The first year it is dirt cheep. The next 12 month it is full price on TV. You can also upgrade the Internet and Phone packages.
amungus
Premium Member
America

amungus

Premium Member

Interesting. They must have just changed it here
The Saguaro
join:2002-05-18
Tucson, AZ

The Saguaro to Irish Shark

to Irish Shark

Try it online and you will see the correct pricing. The phone staff makes a lot of mistakes :-(
amungus
Premium Member
America

amungus

Premium Member

The option doesn't appear any more online on my area they want to force a box rental! That's exactly what I'd like to avoid. Might have to visit the store again.
amungus

amungus

Premium Member

Click for full size
This is what I see. Receiver box rental is now *REQUIRED*

No, I do not want to be forced to rent a box. No, I also don't want to be forced into a 2yr. contract to get the 12 mo. discounted pricing.

Also, Dish just gave us H2 channel in our current package, and there is still a discount added to the latest bill.

Cox's latest promo still looks good. Got a mailer about the tv/internet package, and it looks good, but I do NOT want to sign a 2yr. contract for cable, nor rent a box. I might as well stick with Dish at that point, even if the picture quality is slightly less than it might be on cable.

Will make one more visit to the local store this week, and hope that they can tell me that the offer is still valid (believe it was until 9/30), and that I do not need a box/contract. If that's the case, it's possible I'd make the effort to switch.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

Just a guess: they are more than likely requiring a box because they intend to go all digital very soon.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to The Saguaro

MVM

to The Saguaro
What does "I just looked at the Cox site in LV" mean? Maybe online?
amungus
Premium Member
America

amungus to BillRoland

Premium Member

to BillRoland
Sure, that's the plan everyone knows about, but I'm not sure why there's no option for a cable card anymore.

It may be from the FCC ruling, bit I'd really like to hear some official word. It's total crap that you can't own your own box more easily. This also affects TiVo users. What would one do if they had one of those, and tried to order service online, only to find that the option to get a card literally vanished without a trace and with no explanation?

There needs to be more clarity here.
Also, forcing a contact to get the 12mo. discount is something they've never done before, and I find it shady.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to amungus

MVM

to amungus
From Cox LV site:

"Cox Advanced TV

Available only in Cox wired, serviceable, residential areas. Advertised rate includes monthly recurring service fees but excludes equipment charges. A Cox digital receiver or a Cox-provided CableCARD together with a certified compatible CableCARD retail device required.
nmlobo
join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

nmlobo to amungus

to amungus
Not new. They have been offering discounts here w/contract for the past two or three years.
amungus
Premium Member
America

amungus

Premium Member

Yeah, I see that in other areas, but this is a recent change in my area, from no more than 2 weeks ago. Previously, you could get the 12 mo. pricing, without a contract.

Planning to stop by the local store tonight, and see if the sales folks there can do anything. Then again, who knows what they really know about these details. The last guy I talked to seemed as green as fresh spring grass.

Have a mailer that showed I could get TV(+HBO)/internet at a promo price, with zero mention of a price lock. Will see what the local reps think about that

Interestingly, it appears that the economy package still shows no price lock changes, and also has a cable card option online.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

In LV, Cox has a 24 month price lock. Not sure how it works (maybe not at all) with a 12 month reduced bundle.

Just about anything I have seen said it cannot be used with another discount offer. So, it might just apply to the full price of the product.

A few moons ago, I asked about the price lock for the phone. The CSR said that I would have to apply it to the Internet package. Not sure why, but I declined on both of them.
nicheel4
join:2013-10-28
Litchfield Park, AZ

nicheel4 to amungus

to amungus

I too was thinking about switching from Directv (10 years) to Cox. Main reason, PAC12 Network and Contour Guide is almost like Directv. (Gotta keep the wife happy)

Here is my dilemma.

Directv - They will give me free NFL Sunday Ticket, HBO and drop pricing from $109 to $79 a month.

Cox - I switched from Centurylink to Cox back in June. I was given the $59.99 Internet and Phone bundle. Sounds great.

Installer comes out and hooks up my internet but there is a problem porting my phone number, he wants to hold off installing because it may mess up my bundle pricing. The guy has been with Cox for a long time and knew what he was talking about. So he calls some department and they tell him don't worry, install the internet and they will take care of the billing.

3 weeks pass - Cox finally gets my number ported. 2nd installer comes out, connects 1 phone, tries to sell me Cox TV (keeps saying how bad Directv is) and leaves. None of the other phones are working. Fortunately, I know what I am doing and fixed the issue.

Then I get my bill and NO BUNDLE. Just like the first installer said. $74.99. I have called billing 4 times and every time they say how they see the mistake, submit some form to back office, and tell me to wait 48 work hours to see the adjustment. I call back a week later, same thing.

Based off my experience with Cox CS/Billing I am very hesitant to change TV service.