uniqs
share rss forum feed

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

[WIN7] Backup error hell

So lately, i've been unable to get backups to complete at all. The problem is that each time it seems to give me a different error code which doesn't make any sense to me, and googling for troubleshooting has been of no help so far. And I need Windows 7's own backup and restore to work, because it's so far the only one that's managed to save my bacon at a point when not even safe mode works.

So far, I've tried:
•Running Scandisk on source and external drive(s)... always clean
•Doing full antivirus scan. Nothing.
•Doing a full scan with MalwareBytes and Spybot. Nothing.

I still keep getting backup failures.

One of the troubleshooting things was even talking about something called reparse points, but wouldn't explain what it was, what the search results were, and what the hell I was supposed to delete to make it work again.

I might have had a good handle on where to find solutions with Windows XP's event viewer, but absolutely nothing about Windows 7's event viewer makes any goddamn sense, and even when I am finally able to find the associated error message, it gives me absolutely no new information, or worse, less information than what the first error message says.

So how can I make this thing work again?
--
Because, f*ck Sony

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

It sounds like you were able to locate an error message in the Windows 7 event logs. However, I'm going to make a suggestion that you clear all the logs first, and then try to run the backup and then go look at the logs. It may be easier to find all the errors and stuff with a clear set of logs.

As an aid to help with that, I have (thanks to a post from this site) a batch file that you can run to clear all the Event logs. This works in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.x.

Paste the code below into a text file, and then save it with a .bat extension. You do need to run this by right-clicking on it and selecting "Run as Administrator" for it to work.

@echo off
for /F "tokens=*" %%G in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO (call :do_clear "%%G")
echo Clearing System Log Last
wevtutil.exe cl "System"
goto theEnd
:do_clear
echo clearing %1
wevtutil.exe cl %1
:theEnd

The next thing would be to post any actual messages that you get from the Windows 7 backup utility, as well as any error (and maybe warning) events that are logged as well.

Personally, I've never used the Windows backup / restore utilities (I actually have a batch file that runs nightly that copies my data to a 2nd internal hard drive). However, I would be willing to see if I could help research and hopefully resolve your issues.

--Brian

--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Click for full size
For the love of god, why does this event viewer have to be so difficult?
Click for full size
What does any of this mean? Details say diddly squat.
This is what I get.

Nevermind that it's even more ludicrously stupidly laid out every single time I start it. Why can't it be more like Windows XP's event viewer? at least THAT worked.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to C0deZer0

Well I did some research, and here is what I came up with.

My info comes from this page

»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···4e6fd1c5

The forum user "Sandeep G R", who is a Microsoft Support Engineer has this to say about this error. While they do mention Vista, I would assume that it would also apply to Windows 7 as well.

quote:
From my research, I've seen this error on Vista machines where the drive volume was not large enough to store the backup or the drive was just unavailable.

To go along with the 2nd part of that (drive just unavailable), there was a thread on here a few weeks (maybe months) ago now that talked about drive letters and usb devices, and how they would change. Not sure where your backup is being stored, but if that applies, you may want to verify that your settings are still good. Meaning, if you had it set to backup to drive E for example, your usb external hard drive is still on drive E.

The same Microsoft person goes on to say something about Shadow copies.

quote:
This could also occur if a shadow copy created by Vista is conflicting with the backup process. Here's what you can try.

1. Got to Control Panel, select "System"

2. In the System Protection tab, uncheck all drives listed under "Automatic Restore Points"

3. Click OK to save the settings--this deletes all existing shadow copies

4. Go back into the System settings and reselect the drives that you unselected.

I don't know much about that process, as I turn off System Restore. But, that may be something else you can look into doing and see if that helps.

Again, I'm no expert in this area, but maybe having a novice do the searching, we may come across your solution.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Tried that... also tried wiping the external in question.

All it does is give me yet another error.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

CodeZer0,

To me, that error message means there's something wrong with the shadow copy on the source volume. Just what, I don't know. Do you have a partition on the hard drive named "Recovery?" That partition is created by Windows, and I think it's somehow used by shadow copy. Maybe something wrong with that partition?

I wish I could be more specific, but perhaps you could look into that possibility as the cause of your problem.

Freddy

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit
reply to C0deZer0

While this tutorial is for another product, I find it's approach to troubleshooting this sort of error an excellent resource.

»kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArti···010.aspx
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to C0deZer0

Well, its not much help, but you are not alone in this regards. By the comments in this thread, it looks like LOTS of people are having that problem.

»social.technet.microsoft.com/For···tproperf

I did find out that there may be log files from the Windows Backup process stored here

C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup

Not sure if it would help, but maybe take a look and see what is in that folder.

It also appears that if a file (or folder) is "locked" by an Anti-virus program, the backup won't run either (Microsoft tech's said that a few times in the thread that I linked). That seems odd to me, as I would think it would return something that said that instead of saying there was an error with the shadow copy.

Not knowing how this whole process works, but maybe the first step is to make a "Shadow Copy" of whatever you are going to backup, and then copy that thing (files or folders, or whatever it creates) to your backup location. If the Shadow Copy process fails, do to permissions, locked files, or whatever, maybe it returns the error you are seeing?

Again, just a guess at this point, but maybe that is how it works?

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

norwegian
Premium
Outback

said by plencnerb:

It also appears that if a file (or folder) is "locked" by an Anti-virus program, the backup won't run either (Microsoft tech's said that a few times in the thread that I linked). That seems odd to me, as I would think it would return something that said that instead of saying there was an error with the shadow copy.

It is a possibility simply because the "in use" error will return a "can not copy" error.
To the user it is a hard question to ask.
Anti virus programs certainly have caused this sort of error.
So has having system restore on for the back up drive caused this error.
So has having a "System Volume Information" folder on the drive.
See: »blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/arc···764.aspx

quote:
What's the deal with the System Volume Information folder?
In the root of every drive is a folder called "System Volume Information". If your drive is NTFS, the permissions on the folder are set so not even administrators can get in there. What's the big secret?

The folder contains information that casual interference could cause problems with proper system functioning. Here are some of the things kept in that folder. (This list is not comprehensive.)

System Restore points. You can disable System Restore from the "System" control panel.
Distributed Link Tracking Service databases for repairing your shortcuts and linked documents.
Content Indexing Service databases for fast file searches. This is also the source of the cidaemon.exe process: That is the content indexer itself, busy scanning your files and building its database so you can search for them quickly. (If you created a lot of data in a short time, the content indexer service gets all excited trying to index it.)
Information used by the Volume Snapshot Service (also known as "Volume Shadow Copy") so you can back up files on a live system.
Longhorn systems keep WinFS databases here.
Now we are including indexing as well.
The list goes on for what could be causing this to happen.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to C0deZer0

Going to make a few suggestions, I hope they help.

1. Ensure the Volume Shadow Copy Service is running. Press Windows Key +R and type services.msc in the run box and press enter to open the Services Window, Scroll down and find Volume Shadow Copy Service, just for testing set its startup type to Automatic(Delayed) and Start the service and see if it starts successfully.

2. Ensure the destination drive you are putting the backups on is formatted with the NTFS File System. Backups can fail when the destination drive is not also formatted in NTFS as certain file information can not be properly copied over to drives from NTFS to FAT32 or other file systems.

3. Ensure the system time and date in the BIOS is correct. Incorrect time and date settings in the BIOS can cause backups to fail.

4. Open Computer Management under Control Panel --> Administrative Tools and check the Disk Management and ensure the destination drive you are wanting to copy the files to is properly mounted under the Logical Disk Manager.

This will at least give you a place to start...if the Volume Shadow Copy Service won't start, then you will have to track down the reason why.

If the disk isn't mounted in The Logical Disk Manager, then you will have to track down why....perhaps reformatting the disk you want to save the backups too and recreating the partitions will solve the issue.

I hope some of this information helps, and maybe gets you on the right track to solving the problem.
--
Tech Tips

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

2 edits
reply to norwegian

Click for full size
Okay, I found volume shadow copy... is that what they mean?
Click for full size
\logs\windows backup contents
Click for full size
Huh? why's it empty?
said by norwegian:

While this tutorial is for another product, I find it's approach to troubleshooting this sort of error an excellent resource.

»kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArti···010.aspx

Well, in trying to verify if there were any errors... one thing I did notice was when going to services check, I saw Volume Shadow Copy was set to manual. Not sure why that is... more importantly, considering I don't recall ever touching that service, I don't understand why it not running automatically is somehow keeping me from running any of the backups successfully.

Trying again...
#EDIT#
Nope. same f*cking error. At least now the error log actually says something... but it's saying that the error is that it 'can't find' a file in my documents folder... but if I navigate to it, it's sitting right there. Huh?

Well, this is just getting more and more ridiculous.

After several attempts, it keeps spouting a different file insisting it can't find this or that in the error.log in \Logs\Windowsbackup. but when I actually search for the file myself, it's sitting right there.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to C0deZer0

I'm going to go out on a ledge and move away from a volume shadow copy to look at the hardware you are using and it's possible influence.

The window shows a Seagate GoFlex, (and I was going to ask if you could produce a screenshot of the disk management at some point) but now I have something to ask you to check.
That external drive has sleep mode on by default.
If it is specific to being connected purely for back up purposes, you might be able to turn off the sleep feature and plug it in when required, as it does affect archiving for some software and I'd safely bet the same for extended time it is plugged in, between the backups. See the following KB article and tool if required.
»knowledge.seagate.com/articles/e···pup=true
»knowledge.seagate.com/articles/e···ge=en_US

Let us know how you get on.

If it still fails, can you upload somewhere one of those WindowsBackup*.etl files so we can import it to read the log events. 10,240 KB might show something for research into the cause.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to C0deZer0

Are we backing up to or from the external drive?

I was assuming it was 'to', but looking at the error messages, perhaps it is 'from'.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to C0deZer0

Can you manually create a restore point?

Restore points, backup, and 'previous versions' all use shadow copy technology -- which is a point-in-time snapshot of the entire file system. In the case of backup, I suppose it snaps the source volume, then copies it to the target.

(Snapshots are made on a lazy basis: you don't need to make an actual copy until the data gets changed, which may be never)

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

2 edits
reply to dave

said by dave:

Are we backing up to or from the external drive?

I was assuming it was 'to', but looking at the error messages, perhaps it is 'from'.

Well of course I'm backing up to the external. I bought it for that singular reason.

What I don't understand is why now it's basically refusing to ever work for the one job it's been given all this time.

#EDIT#

The sleep setting never affected me before.

Tried installing that software... it refused to start unless I did the update. Updated it... turned off the sleep mode. It still gives me the same goddamn error every single *expletive* time.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Freddy
Premium
Arlington, VA
reply to dave

Dave, what words in the error messages indicate backing up from external drive?

Freddy

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

A misreading on my part: I took 'backup location' to mean the location being backed up.

Freddy
Premium
Arlington, VA

OH, OK, I thought you might be on to something.

Freddy

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to C0deZer0

Try the commands

vssadmin list volumes -- is the volume you're backing up here?

vssadmin list shadowstorage -- is the max space large enough for the backup you're doing?

I don't really know my way around this stuff, so I can't give you explicit directions.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Click for full size
said by dave:

Try the commands

vssadmin list volumes -- is the volume you're backing up here?

vssadmin list shadowstorage -- is the max space large enough for the backup you're doing?

I don't really know my way around this stuff, so I can't give you explicit directions.

I'm not sure how to answer that, so here's a screenshot of what running those commands gives me.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

You've got shadow copies on M:
You have no shadow copies on C:

So, you haven't successfully completed a shadow copy on C: (since ever, or possibly since you deleted all restore points, if that's what you did).

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Well, I did try going through the settings to delete the shadow copies and restore points on C, as that was the only place where I expected to create any.

So how do I create them now so that backup will work?
--
Because, f*ck Sony

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Can you afford to turn off system restore?
Then try and create a backup of C:?

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

said by norwegian:

I thought it was just said that the windows 7 backup doesn't work without system restore and the shadow copy stuff?

Now I'm confused.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit

Let me step back a bit:

You are trying to make an image back up or incremental back ups?
It worked before then stopped?
Did you install an anti virus tool in this period.
Does disabling the A/V help?

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit
reply to C0deZer0

Okay:

Event ID 4104, error 0x80070003
»support.microsoft.com/kb/973455
This site has a good discussion on the system partition as mentioned by Woody79

quote:
4. Open Computer Management under Control Panel --> Administrative Tools and check the Disk Management and ensure the destination drive you are wanting to copy the files to is properly mounted under the Logical Disk Manager.

»superuser.com/questions/411474/w···pecified

--

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit
reply to C0deZer0

said by C0deZer0:

said by norwegian:

I thought it was just said that the windows 7 backup doesn't work without system restore and the shadow copy stuff?

Now I'm confused.

Sorry about the confusion.
Backup image - no system restore
Backup data - try turning off system restore rebooting and create 'system restore' point.
(For this you need system restore on)

I'd look at the couple of links and info there on one of the errors(0x80070003) .
I'll see what else can be dug up.
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to norwegian

said by norwegian:

Okay:

Event IS 4104, error 0x80070003
»support.microsoft.com/kb/973455
This site has a good discussion on the system partition as mentioned by Woody79

quote:

»superuser.com/questions/411474/w···pecified

That link in particular and its steps pisses me off to no end. It's the one that keeps talking about reparse points but won't explain what the *expletive* I need to do. I get as far as the dir /al /s command, but it doesn't explain what the hell I'm supposed to do with that info, and it says I have many more than the few it shows in its example.

But it's like when I go to the mentioned directories, I can't find ANYTHING that even remotely resembles a "mounted volume" data type like it's saying I need to delete.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit

Reparse points is system restore.

I'm wondering on that point if you turned off system restore, rebooted, created a system restore for the C: and then rebooted and tried back ups again?

(I'm at a standstill at present, my taskbar (Win 8.1.2) has disappeared and while I'm doing a major backup I can't reboot and get it back)

--

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit

I think what it might be implying for you.

The mounted volume would be the folder on your backup drive that Windows backs up to.

The function dir /al /s depends on what level you access the call from.
I did it from system32 prompt and from the c:\ prompt and have 2 differing results tabled.
The issue seems to be with copying back to the user location and the reparse tag is corrupt and you need to delete it to start again.
This would be the data on the backup drive, and the tag if corrupt will not return it to the correct directory.

--