All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

[Equipment] HT702 vs PAP2T - V.22 bis (and voice)

My new Grandstream HT702 just arrived and I'm trying to decide between that and my current Cisco PAP2T for different use scenarios. I'll be using both. Which is better, or preferable for some specific reason?

Of course I want the best voice telephone experience, so which should I use for Callcentric or F9 numbers?

The other use is for V.22 bis. This is not exactly FAX, but somewhat related. Is one better than the other for that kind of setup?

All vaguely related comments welcome.
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
join:2014-07-07
Rockville, MD

Pufferty

How's this for vaguely related? Buy a Basic Talk (rebranded HT701) and unlock it. $10 for an ATA that isn't all that different from the HT702, from what I understand.
Ole Juul
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

That is indeed vaguely related. I paid $50 bucks for this thing and I'm already swearing at it. Click "Apply" and it promptly dumps all your settings.* I'm all for practical jokes, but that kind takes a while to warm up to. Oh well, we'll probably be friends by the end of the evening.

* The trick is to hit "Update" and then click "Apply". (grrrr)
Ole Juul

Ole Juul

I just checked, and the Basic Talk from Wallmart is US only. Big costs to get it here via somebody. Ebay's cheapest is about $40. That device only has one port as well. I had actually looked at those originally but couldn't find a cheap one. Bad choice for me.

That said, I'm still fighting with what I have. It seems more primitive than the PAP2, but time will tell. It's a typical cheap Chinese device with no manual and a web page suitable for an old edition of Chatelaine. That's what I get for being cheap, but I knew that ahead of time. Not to worry. I'll get a grip on it eventually, and then be telling everybody how nice it is.
VoIP2Go
join:2013-12-14

VoIP2Go

said by Ole Juul:

I'll get a grip on it eventually, and then be telling everybody how nice it is

Been there - made that mistake with Grandstream devices. My money is on the Grandstream breaking you down first and you sticking with the PAP2T. We live and learn
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS

scooper to Ole Juul

to Ole Juul
V.22bis is a data modem standard - surely there is a better way for her to communicate with that entity ? (Like a POTS line ?)
Ole Juul
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

said by scooper:

V.22bis is a data modem standard - surely there is a better way for her to communicate with that entity ? (Like a POTS line ?)

The specification is for the receiving entity to be attached to a VoIP line. POTS lines, by the way, are hideously expensive here in North America. Where you live that may not be the case. The calling entity may not use POTS either. It's a mixed up world of both exciting computer technology and poverty.

I am still interested in any comments about the HT702 vs the PAP2T for voice or data. However, for the data, I did move to the PAP2 because the HT702 does not have enough options nor documentation.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS

scooper

POTS lines are frightfully here in NC too.

You'll probably want to use PCM-U for your connections with that v.22bis device. I'd set my ATA to use ONLY that