TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

5 recommendations

TechyDad

Premium Member

Document, Document, Document

The lesson here - and with all of these Comcast cancellation stories - is that you need to document, document, document. Record calls, keep receipts, and save all e-mails. Make sure you have a trail of documentation so when Comcast tries to charge you for X you can point to where they repeatedly said you wouldn't be charged for X.
drivel
join:2013-07-12
Santa Clara, CA

drivel

said by TechyDad:

The lesson here - and with all of these Comcast cancellation stories - is that you need to document, document, document. Record calls, keep receipts, and save all e-mails. Make sure you have a trail of documentation so when Comcast tries to charge you for X you can point to where they repeatedly said you wouldn't be charged for X.

You didn't read the article. Documentation does not help with Comcast.

He documented everything and Comcast still repeatedly overcharged him.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to TechyDad

Premium Member

to TechyDad
said by TechyDad:

Unfortunately,
Having to do all that crap is just about as ridiculous as Comcast is at this stuff!
xQim
join:2003-09-20

xQim to TechyDad

to TechyDad
Document everything! It has happened with TWC, Fairpoint, AT&T and DirecTV!

TWC was charging me a modem rental fee even though it is/was my modem all along. If you change addresses TWC will charge you $45 and call it, "Transfer Data." They did nothing but change the address and charge me. I also wasn't home but another individual was and the TWC tech took two of MY cable modems. And lastly, their billing is messed up. When you order service you will get charged the full amount within 7 days and the next bill will be for the previous month. Therefore, you are double paying when you start service. I've also been charged phantom fees such as not returning equipment (modem) even though I paid for it myself.

Fairpoint has charged me for service that I cancelled 3 months beforehand. You have to buy a modem from them and I've been charged for failure to return equipment even though I outright paid for it.

DirecTV is the biggest one you want to document. I used my promotional codes within the first 24hrs so my bill was supposed to be $29.99/Month. When I got a bill for $46.16 I immediately called to see what the deal was. There is no deal. They claimed that I didn't enter my promotional codes even though I had proof. Refused to fix the issue and had to cancel my bank account so they would stop charging me.

AT&T charges me EXTRA MONEY for not using a smartphone. I'm canceling that service today.

This is new to people? These companies will do anything to rip you off and give you terrible service because there is little to zero competition. They also know that probably half the people don't document things or have proof so they can stab you one more time and aside from not paying, they get the last laugh.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to drivel

Premium Member

to drivel
Yes, but with documentation (and escalating to a manager), you at least stand a chance of getting the charges reversed. Without documentation, it is your word against the company charging you and you'll most likely lose out.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA

tim_k to TechyDad

Premium Member

to TechyDad
said by TechyDad:

For sure, when I moved to PA Comcast sent a truck to pick up the equipment. Weeks later they tried to charge me for the non-returned modem/router. But even after confusion of the move, I had the receipt handy.

RickR
@76.23.91.x

RickR to TechyDad

Anon

to TechyDad
You can document all you want, does absolutely no good. They don't care what documents you have. Good luck getting something removed from your bill. I have had to twice just fax the documents over to the collection agency and they took it off my credit report. It's sad when you can get more done thru the collection agent then thru Comcast
TechnoNolan
join:2004-11-21
Hollywood, FL

TechnoNolan to TechyDad

to TechyDad
Unfortunately, I had a similar experience with Insight Communications (now Time Warner). I asked for a receipt when I returned the equipment, but they refused to give me one and stated "You don't need one."