spc
Search similar:

uniqs

plwhitm
@107.214.201.x

plwhitm

Anon

[Rant] /refunds from credits due

I have recently left comcast due to the fact that they keep raising the price of their service, so when I disconnected from them I had a credit due back to me of more than 200.00. When I disconnected three weeks ago they informed me it would take about four weeks to send me the credit. Since then I have two statements giving me the update as to the credit that I have yet to receive from them. To me this is plain out and out theft. I do think that they have laws against this do they not? If I was not to pay them they would most likely send collections after me. Why don't they allow consumers like ourselves to send collections agents after them. If they can send me two statements before they give me my money then they are in the wrong and need to be fined for not complying with the law.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

1 recommendation

FureverFurry

Premium Member

The FCC has this:
"Refunds must be issued no later than either the customer's next billing cycle or 30 days following resolution of the request, whichever is earlier, or upon the return of equipment when service is terminated. Credits must be issued no later than the billing cycle following the determination that a credit is warranted.

Questions concerning late fees should be directed to the local franchising authority."

»www.fcc.gov/guides/custo ··· tandards
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh to plwhitm

to plwhitm
Its is amazingly easy to file a small claims case at your local justice of the peace. An hour of your time and $25 filing fee is all it takes. Small claims in most states allows you to get triple damages for things like time off work and the credit due. You could easily walk away with a judgement for over $1000.00.

That is the consumers version of a collections agency and its very powerful.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Comcast cant be sued by customers its part of your agreement for service. All complaints have to be solved by arbitration.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to plwhitm

Premium Member

to plwhitm
You can send a collection agency after them. I think the average time for the check to be delivered to you is about 6-8 weeks. Pretty standard time for most big corporations.

But you said its only been three weeks since you canceled.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Jim721

Premium Member

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

Comcast cant be sued by customers its part of your agreement for service. All complaints have to be solved by arbitration.

There appears to be an exemption for small claims court (as long as it is an individual claim, and not a class action claim):
said by Comcast Customer Agreement for Residential Services :

j. Exclusions from Arbitration. YOU AND COMCAST AGREE THAT THE FOLLOWING WILL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION: (1) ANY CLAIM FILED BY YOU OR BY COMCAST THAT IS NOT AGGREGATED WITH THE CLAIM OF ANY OTHER SUBSCRIBER AND WHOSE AMOUNT IN CONTROVERSY IS PROPERLY WITHIN THE JURISDICTION OF A COURT THAT IS LIMITED TO ADJUDICATING SMALL CLAIMS

ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks

But good luck on forcing the court to actually collect from them. You'd have to go back and back, and you can't actually garnish any money from them.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

OTOH, I am reasonably certain that you can place a lien on any real estate; and, possibly, other tangible assets.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks
said by ITGeeks:

But good luck on forcing the court to actually collect from them. You'd have to go back and back, and you can't actually garnish any money from them.

There have been cases where Comcast was forced to pay a small claims court award; but yes, actually getting the local sheriff to send a deputy to the local Comcast office and force them to open the cash register would be an unusual happening. Big money and campaign contributions are unfortunately more important than simple justice.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

It's happened with the banks.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Z94rctTA

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Zoder:

It's happened with the banks.

(youtube clip)

Yes, and it has happened with Comcast. But typically a small claims court award against a major politically powerful corporation and $1.00 (+tax) will buy you a small cup of black coffee at McDonald's.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

Questions concerning late fees should be directed to the local franchising authority."

hard to do when Cable monopolies have spent the better part of 20 years getting rid of local franchise authorities in favor of big bureaucratic franchise organizations on a statewide level.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by burner50:

said by FureverFurry:

hard to do when Cable monopolies have spent the better part of 20 years getting rid of local franchise authorities in favor of big bureaucratic franchise organizations on a statewide level.

In some cases that it true, but there are still active franchise authorities in many areas. The local franchising authority should be printed at the bottom of your monthly Comcast bill. Here is what is printed on the bottom of my Comcast bills:

Your local FCC Franchising Authority is:
Murfreesboro City Hall
P.O. Box 1139
Murfreesboro, TN 37133
FCC Code: TN0082

I have in fact used them to resolve issues with Comcast, and on a couple of occasions, just the threat of turning over a dispute to them was enough to get Comcast to relent from their normal anti-customer stance.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to Jim721

Premium Member

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

agreement is void since he terminated the service
said by ITGeeks:

you can always make it a pain to get renewal of franchise agreement.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to burner50

to burner50
said by burner50:

To be fair to Comcast, AT&T was the one who pushed for that law in many states when they introduced U-verse.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Zoder:

said by burner50:

To be fair to Comcast, AT&T was the one who pushed for that law in many states when they introduced U-verse.

Verizon also did that in this area for their FiOS overbuilds.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry to burner50

Premium Member

to burner50
There's an online FCC complaint form that can be used. Like NetFixer posted, I have also used outside agencies to get Comcast to (sometimes) get off their anti-customer hooha and resolve something.