Search similar:

uniqs
tigershark
join:2014-08-13
Pinellas Park, FL

1 edit

tigershark

[Tampa] Privately owned 8300HDC

I own my own Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC. This is common in Canada, but not the USA. It took forever to find somebody at BHN that would just do what I told them and activate the cablecard I had picked up at a walk-in center (most tried to claim I could not have my own 8300HDC), and it works. But, the BHN system has shut down all functionality in the box except channel selection. It no longer will function as a DVR and the multiplexer (internal "tuner adapter") also doesn't work right, so I get a lot of "not available" messages for certain channels. The diagnostics screens show that the DVR function is disabled and it doesn't have a proper IP assigned, either. While it is capable of on demand and that is also not available, I did rather expect to not have that option because of billing issues for paid content.

For the most part, they seem to be treating my two-way box like a one-way TiVo.

The couple of people I have talked to about this that seem to know anything don't claim BHN won't fully activate it, but rather claim ignorance on how to accomplish it (at least without adding it to my account where I would be charged monthly for a box I own).

I should add that I also rent an 8300HD from BHN and it works fine.

I don't know if users of other cable systems have similar problems. I have found companies that sell such boxes on the internet and claim that they can work on USA systems (provided you get their cablecard and have it properly activated, as I have), but they give no details on how to go about it.

I seem to have run out of "friends" at BHN (that's how they advertise themselves) and was wondering if anyone has successfully gotten a privately owned full function DVR such as the 8300HDC activated on BHN. And if so, can you share with me your secret (like maybe who you talked to to get it activated properly).

opp
@71.47.131.x

opp

Anon

In New York and some other areas you can buy your own equipment and get it activated. Brighthouse probably could but like you say will intentionally or unintentionally (who knows which) run you in circles trying. Hopefully BHXpert can help you.
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel to tigershark

to tigershark
I've very interested to see how this turns out for you. Coming to this forum, you have the best chance of any of getting this to work, and I wish you the best.

I've wanted to own my own non-Tivo box, but since they're sold exclusively to TV providers in the States, you can't get one that's not stolen property, which naturally can't be activated by other providers.

Having bought this in Canada, you are in a unique situation, which is why it has been a conundrum so far for the BH support staff.

twalls
join:2014-06-11
Tampa, FL
ARRIS SB8200
eero Wi-Fi System

twalls to tigershark

to tigershark
Yeah, I don't get the feeling this is a case of them not wanting you to be able to do this. It is more of an issue about it being such a rare thing for them to come across. When they do things like the TiVo or retail-purchased modems, it is documented how they work with the cable operator's equipment, etc. I imagine there are also things that they normally need to be able to lock down on a cable box, and they can't do that for yours because it isn't their property, your installed firmware/software may not allow it, etc. For example, I asked why we can't have static IP addresses on our own modems. It is because they can't lock down the retail version of the firmware for my modem to put in their specific settings. While they're probably legally required to provide you with a CableCARD, they likely aren't trained on how to deal with this situation because of the rarity, and retail cable box software may not allow them the access they need to add specific functions, so you get what, say, a TiVo user might get: a one-way box that can decrypt non-SDV channels. At least with a TiVo or other DVR, you'd have the option of adding a TA and getting the SDV channels as well.
tigershark
Pinellas Park, FL

tigershark

said by twalls:

I imagine there are also things that they normally need to be able to lock down on a cable box, and they can't do that for yours because it isn't their property, your installed firmware/software may not allow it, etc.

It downloads the firmware from the BH system just like the rented box. And they have already controlled it, they shut off most of the functionality. I went into the diagnostic screens (though now I can't remember how I got there) and could see what functions are enabled and disabled, just as I can with the rented box. In addition to disabling DVR, whole-house DVR is separately disabled, as are phone-related items such as caller ID. Their system has identified the box as not authorized for these items and shut them down. I just need to find out how to have their system ID the box as authorized for those.

twalls
join:2014-06-11
Tampa, FL
ARRIS SB8200
eero Wi-Fi System

twalls

Interesting. Could it be as simple as their system not having a way to authorize those functions without entering the serial number of the device (which they can't do because it isn't in their inventory)? Seriously. It was a chore just getting my card and TA because the system didn't understand what they were wanting it to do. They very much wanted to give me the equipment, but it took three people fighting with the system to let them authorize it. I could see it being as simple as the system wanting a serial number to authorize something, and then they can't because it isn't BHN property. Again, this is a system designed around the fact that you can't normally buy these boxes legitimately, so it seems rather reasonable.
tigershark
Pinellas Park, FL

tigershark to Aprel

to Aprel

said by AprelI've wanted to own my own non-Tivo box, but since they're sold exclusively to TV providers in the States, you can't get one that's not stolen property, which naturally can't be activated by other providers.

I've found online sources where legit boxes can be purchased. They even quote the FCC regulation allowing you to own your own box and claim they work on a number of systems (but I don't remember if BH was one of them). And they make it clear they aren't for unauthorized cable theft since they require system authorization. Of course, they don't claim they are fully functional, which is my problem. I was hoping there would be some information on those sites that would help me, but they just say to call. Not being their customer, I doubt they'd be any help.

But one would certainly need to be careful buying one from eBay or Craig's List.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to tigershark

Premium Member

to tigershark
Sorry but we do not activate customer owned boxes. If you want to reach out to me offline I will be happy to discuss it with you however. BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl to tigershark

to tigershark
said by tigershark:

said by AprelI've wanted to own my own non-Tivo box, but since they're sold exclusively to TV providers in the States, you can't get one that's not stolen property, which naturally can't be activated by other providers.

I've found online sources where legit boxes can be purchased. They even quote the FCC regulation allowing you to own your own box and claim they work on a number of systems (but I don't remember if BH was one of them). And they make it clear they aren't for unauthorized cable theft since they require system authorization. Of course, they don't claim they are fully functional, which is my problem. I was hoping there would be some information on those sites that would help me, but they just say to call. Not being their customer, I doubt they'd be any help.

But one would certainly need to be careful buying one from eBay or Craig's List.

Good luck with it. I for one think you should be required to be allowed to have your own equipment with the same functionality absent a very good excuse. There is no reason why people should be required to rent a box for $10 a month or what have you simply because the cable company prefers that.