spc
Search similar:

uniqs
liger29
join:2014-07-31
Loganville, GA

liger29

[Speed] Still not getting the speed im paying for

So I have for days now been calling windstream about my recently upgraded service. I can see they are sending me my 12mbps but the truth is I am just not getting it and after several calls they sent 2 off sight dispatches to fix the problem and still I hover around 1-4 mbps instead of the around the 12mbps. I call again and am told they will send someone to my location this time and my phone and internet get cut off for an hour and then when they come back I receive a phone call telling me they get no less than 10Mbps from the switch which they said was faulty and they had to repair.

Now they arrive at my house and test my speed through the box at the back of my house and are baffled as to why im only getting no more than 4mbps and that's occasionally on the test the other few times he clicked test again it was around 2mbps. So then he goes up in the truck and tests the line from the power line and still read about 2 to 4mbps.

They stand there for a moment looking confused and they tell me that everything at my house and on the line are fine and that the problem has to be at the switch. He then says something about needing an equipment upgrade and tells me he will put it in his notes and that I should call about it to Windstream.

I call windstream and they tell me that his ticket hasn't closed yet and that they are still working on it which no one at the time was working on it and I told him that. He then puts me on hold for 10 minutes and then comes back and says the ticket closed but there is no information on it. He tells me to call back later in the day so I call back and get told that the issues are coming from my end because their end "reads normal" despite me telling them that they showed to me everything was fine on my end but he wouldn't listen to me. He then puts me on hold for 25 minutes and I got tired of waiting and hung up.

The funny thing was when they first upgraded me it was running no less than 8Mbps for the first 2 hours and then suddenly as if they realized they were actually giving me what I was paying it drops sharply and has been steady around 1 to 4 mbps.

Is this the service I should continue to expect after upgrading from basic speed to 12mbps? I dont have another service provider in my area other than comcast and they treated me worse. I think I should either have a discount for not getting the speeds I was paying for or just give me the speeds I am paying for.
CableDolphin
join:2014-06-11
Purcell, OK

1 edit

CableDolphin

I have had pretty much the same experiencing the same experience when upgrading speeds and it is probably because they have a tendency to grossly oversell the capacity of their equipment. I recently upgraded from 3mb to 12mb last month, and expected to see at least a moderate improvement on my speeds.

I experienced the same thing that you did, the moment my speeds were upgraded I stayed up to 12mb or even over a bit in the speed tests. But shortly after it began to kind of fluctuate during peak hours. During peak hours, my speeds drop to anywhere from .5mb to 2mb and I rarely see anything close to what I pay for during that time. But from about 1:00am to roughly around 3:00pm, during the "off peak" times I get fairly acceptable speeds.

Here is a speed test I just took during what I would call pretty off peak, because kids are in school and most people are at work.

Which is a great speed and I would be super happy if I got that all the time, but at 3:00 when more people are home and overloading Windstream it will plummet lower. Have you noticed if your speeds are better during an off peak time?
liger29
Loganville, GA

liger29

I don't even get up to 5 mbps during anytime of day. They are sending another dispatch to my location today and gave me a discount after I was transferred around a bunch of times. I know they have the ability to give me what I am paying for I saw it within the first couple of hours I had the upgrade but since then which was 2 weeks ago never goes up above 4.50 and the worst points in the day I get 0.80.
liger29

liger29

What a surprise after being transferred about 8 different times and being told they dispatched someone to come take a look again no one showed up. Not only do they never give a time frame and say by 7pm its almost a no brainer that they don't show up. This is actually the 2nd time they said they would send a tech and no one showed up and the only reason they came yesterday was because I kept calling. Not to mention since I complained and got a discount my net speed is now worse on average since getting the discount.

I don't know whats worse not getting what I am paying for or being completely ignored by windstream.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to liger29

MVM

to liger29
said by liger29:

I can see they are sending me my 12mbps but the truth is I am just not getting it ...

They don't "send" speed, they configure a tier sync speed based on policy. If you sync at "X", but see ".1X" download, that is a symptom of congestion; too many users for the available bandwidth. The fix is for Windstream to expend capital on equipment upgrades.

If you are paying $49 a month for 12M, but only getting 2M, maybe you should just save a buck and drop down to a slower tier. If they aren't using your money to fund upgrades, stop giving it to them.
liger29
Loganville, GA

liger29

So A few weeks have gone by and the Attorney Generals office and BBB contacted them after I sent complaints. Windstream immediately calls me and constantly apologizes and gives me a 20$ discount or so I thought and said I have all the new equipment and its a faulty fiber ring that needs replaced. She said she gave me and discount and in a couple of days they will call me to tell me when it will be replaced. 2 weeks after that still no call and internet speeds are now consistant 0.44 to 1.10 and it constantly likes to drop.

I get a letter in the mail with what I assumed was some automated thing in reply to the BBB complaint and it said they gave me a "10$" discount and will be receiving an equipment upgrade in December. So my immediate reaction was to contact them again and I get told it was a 10$ discount which I told them that I was told 20$. The response was im sorry for whoever told you but that's just wrong sir. So I am to believe the person straight up lied to me? or that you guys are just telling me what I want to hear to shut me up?

I then ask about the fiber ring replacement to which they had no clue what im talking about and evidently no one there did. They told me its an equipment upgrade and I told them that I was told I had all the new equipment that I just needed that faulty wire replaced and they again told me that was wrong.

I then ask why I am paying for something I am not receiving and get a snooty "we gave you a discount" to which I replied asking again why am I paying for something I am not getting. He then asks if I want to down grade and I told him even if I downgraded to the 3 I am still getting nowhere near it so again why am I paying for something I am not paying for.

I am really tired of being seemingly lied to and then they tried to switch me to their dish service which I said no because I don't want it and I live within a ton of trees that blocked me from getting any dish service in the past. To which they replied oh we will fix that let me set up a bundle. I told him he needs to stop trying to sell me something and just fix what they need to so I can get the services I am paying for.

I really wish any of these people knew what they were talking about and could tell me something without flat out lying to my face. I called again to get to a different person and they said again that I had all the new equipment but I just needed a faulty wire replaced. It seems the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and I will start recording every call from here on out. This is joke customer service in fact I would probably have better luck with Comcast if they themselves knew how to give me what I am paying for.