Search similar:

uniqs
niteowl64
join:2013-05-01
Grants Pass, OR

niteowl64

[Qwest] Slow in S. Oregon

Hi,
I've got CenturyLink DSL in my home that was installed a year and a half ago. I"m happy with CenturyLink; everything's been fine until about a month ago.
Four different Speedtest sites show I"m getting 5 to 7 Mbps. The DD-WRT router says the same thing, . One in a great while it will hit 10 meg, but it runs around 5 most of the time. I don't expect 12Mbs constantly, but I'm barely getting half the speed I'm paying for.
I"ve checked all the wiring and connections, rebooted & reset all equipment multiple times, unplugged modem for two hours to get new IP... no joy. Tried different phone jacks.. no joy. Tried new cables.. no joy.
I"m going to call Tech support soon, but I suspect they will run through the basic restart/reboot thing and then send a tech out.. and I"d bet serious money that the tech will show up, make a few tests on his laptop and announce the problem is in my house phone wiring.

Question- is there any way to test my home phone wiring before the tech gets here? Check the resistance or something? And if there are no tests that can prove or eliminate it, how can the tech determine problem is in the wiring?
Anything else I can try?

Equipment: Netgear DM111PSP v2 modem, WRT54G v2 router running WRT-DD v.24 sp2 with Cat6 direct to Macbook pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core2, 4GB Ram running OSX 10.6.8. Also iMac 2.75Ghz running 10.7.5 and an iPad ver1. Same modem & router has been fine for 2.5. years.
mrhoogles
join:2012-03-02
Silverhill, AL

mrhoogles

check the modem's stat page... »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· guration

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to niteowl64

MVM

to niteowl64
said by niteowl64:

Question- is there any way to test my home phone wiring before the tech gets here?

Your modem should have a statistics page. Look at the stats at the jack where the modem connects, and again at the test jack in the NID. If there is significant improvement in the numbers at the NID, your premises wiring is suspect. No difference, and the problem is in the plant.
niteowl64
join:2013-05-01
Grants Pass, OR

niteowl64

ah-ha! so there's a jack in the gray box? that's what I was hoping. I will test. Thanks!!
niteowl64

niteowl64

Update: Today (Aug 17) my whole house phone system/DSL is down. Nothing was changed or touched, we just woke up to dead phone lines and no DSL. I am plugged into the test socket of the NID which is working but gives me speeds of 6Mbps.
CL tech is comin tomorrow.
niteowl64

niteowl64

Tech came out, fixed. We had a bad multiplexer on the box. replace, back up to full speed. Good job Centurylink!