All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rzaruba
join:2000-08-04

rzaruba

Someone has sent you money scam

This has started to pop up every day for the past week on my Yahoo account in this basic format with different names and numbers:

Melvin Cooley has sent a money to you.

Payment REF: FRV85896746795
Amount: $206

Get your invoice

Please visit the link provided above to see more info about your order.

Regards,
FirstFed Financial Corp..

Of course there is a link to the obligatory attachment....................

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by rzaruba:

This has started to pop up every day for the past week on my Yahoo account ...

I hardly ever access my Yahoo! Mail account via the web. In the past, my IM spam was for dating sites.
Whip5
join:2009-01-23
Califon, NJ

Whip5

said by NormanS:

said by rzaruba:

This has started to pop up every day for the past week on my Yahoo account ...

I hardly ever access my Yahoo! Mail account via the web. In the past, my IM spam was for dating sites.

Since zoosk bought ad space, they are spamming the hell out of my yahoo account daily.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

Two things:

I just signed in to my fifteen-year-old Yahoo! Mail account on the web: No pop-ups.

It took repeated attempts to successfully sign out without filling in the social media details. Damn, they are getting very insistent to have my data; maybe time to close this account.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

"It took repeated attempts to successfully sign out without filling in the social media details. Damn, they are getting very insistent to have my data; maybe time to close this account."

Really? I have an account older than that, and all I have to do is click "sign out"
My mail account is the basic one, and I keep images off in any Yahoo site. At the top of the page by my name, there is a sign out link. It's in Mail, and Groups. I also use NoScript and don't bother with Yahoo and YIMG unless I have to. For basic mail, and just reading groups, those don't have to be enabled.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by carpetshark3:

Really? I have an account older than that, and all I have to do is click "sign out"

And you think I do not click on the "sign out" link? But today (yesterday), after being redirected to the data request page, my click on the "sign out" link on that page failed, and I was stuck in a back-and-forth loop.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

I also close the browser which is supposed to dump everything on close. So far, it has.

Thanks for the warning, though. I don't fill in any details. None of their business.
What is funny, I have 2 accounts that I use for those who might spam. One regularly (the original one)gets asked to change password, the other has never been touched. It has had the same password for over 10 years. I use it mostly for Yahoo Groups and nothing else. There are no contacts or any information in the account. The group replies are marked as spam. Read and delete. No other spam at all. The original is also linked to Flickr. That hasn't asked for any changes, just mail.

Yahoo has stated it is not abiding by "Do Not Track" which is another reason I close the browser. I dump everything. I don't keep history. Never have and never will.

Since I have images off, the signout link appears wrapped around my name, not a button or regular link. Just italic "sign out" and not underlined.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
Ooma Telo

devolved to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Two things:

I just signed in to my fifteen-year-old Yahoo! Mail account on the web: No pop-ups.

It took repeated attempts to successfully sign out without filling in the social media details. Damn, they are getting very insistent to have my data; maybe time to close this account.

I hate the fact that Yahoo keeps insisting I provide a mobile phone number for extra security. One, I don't have a mobile phone number, let alone texting ability, but if I did I wouldn't give them a number anyway. And two, if I forget my username or password, I have provided them a way to get ahold of me through a secondary e-mail account which is my primary account. My Yahoo account is my spam box and the address is for logging in to IM.

I never sign out, I just close the tab to Yahoo Mail.

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to rzaruba

Premium Member

to rzaruba
I laughed my ass off today, I had (yes had) 2 yahoo "junk" accounts I used to sing up, now I had them pop'ed to receive mail and never logged into them.

A few days ago I figured I'd go see how bad the spam folders etc were, apparently because I was using POP I "never logged in" to the accounts so Yahoo "decided" to suspend the accounts for non use...

Uh huh, yeah ok... and instead of just tell me to log in or not to use POP they decided to remove the accounts entirely... I guess I was using yup that much bandwitdh, gotta love how Yahoo does business!

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

said by GroovyPhoenx:

, gotta love how Yahoo does business!

They make their money on advertising, and you were not seeing any advertising.