All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jbanks
join:2011-02-28
Columbus, OH

jbanks

Is there a modem/router that works with WOW! I can own myself?

Tired of increased fees.

Want to purchase a modem/router or a modem and a router so that I can have hardline for my 2 PC's and wireless for our numerous phones and tablets.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
joebob2000
join:2013-09-27
usa

joebob2000

I use the Motorola SB6121, they can be found new with warranty online for about $50-$60 and can handle WOW service up to the 30mbit tier. It has worked great for almost a year now, saving me the cost of the modem ($5/mo x 12 mo = $60 cost) and from then on its all savings!
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

1 recommendation

adam1991 to jbanks

to jbanks
Yes, the Motorolas will work.

What they WON'T do is help you when you have a problem and WOW customer service claims that without their cable modem, they can't help you.

It sounds like BS, but for some reason it's true. Ask Dan. They can get troubleshooting info from their units, but not yours. Doesn't make any sense; after all, DOCSIS is DOCSIS. But hey, that's how it is.

So when you get your own, you're rolling the dice on getting accurate and timely help when something goes wrong. On the other hand, it may be as simple as going to the local WOW office and picking one up for the duration (small pro-rated rental fee) until things get fixed, then going back to your own unit. Kind of a hassle, but there you have it.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL

goober22 to joebob2000

to joebob2000
I have the SB6120 and since it's a docsis 3 it can handle plenty faster speeds. I'm on the 50Mbps tier and hit those speeds easily. The 6121 is pretty much a re-branded Arris/Motorola over the 6120 Motorola (Arris bought Motorola modem line). The 6121 is $65 on Amazon.

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· s=sb6120

I believe if you use their voip style phone then you MUST use their modem as they won't allow others.

Here's my speeds with it at 5:30pm on Sat evening.

atcotr
@65.60.144.x

atcotr to jbanks

Anon

to jbanks
My Zoom 5341J works fine. An Arris SB6141 is also a fine choice.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

1 recommendation

devolved to jbanks

to jbanks
Can't go wrong with the SURFboard modems. Lots of folks recommend them. They're really good modems.

But as goober22 said, if you're using a VOIP phone, you're out of luck and have to stick with the telephony modem WOW sets you up with.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
Panama City, FL

1 recommendation

goober22

Let me just add that the VOIP issue is ONLY with WOW voip. If you use a 3rd party (vonage, magic jack, phonepower, etc.) you can use your own modem. Or like me, I'm in an old Knology area so we have digital phone that turns to a POTS system at our demarc box.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

1 edit

1 recommendation

RootWyrm

Note that the whole VoIP only with their modems is purely a way to force customers into renting a modem while trying to keep costs down. Theoretically any eMTA should be able to be provisioned with no changes. In practice everyone involved with SIP, forget specific implementations, should be burned alive at the stake. It's that bad. However, any claims that a prohibition on customer-owned Arris TM602, TM604, TM608, or TM804s is legitimate? That's complete rubbish. These are the eMTAs WOW has sent out or currently sends out and all are available for legitimate purchase either new single unit or as surplus sale units.

If you aren't suffering the horror show that is SIP, the best in town would be either the SB6141 or SB6183. Don't buy them from BestBuy - talk about marking up from MSRP - and don't waste your money on the ones with integrated routing or wireless. If those are too pricey, you should completely ignore the "YOU NEED 8x4!!" hype-train and get an SB6121. WOW doesn't offer any speeds high enough to even slightly strain even a 4x4, and doesn't have more than an 8x2 arrangement in most areas. A 4x4 setup running as just 2x1 is good for 76Mbit/27Mbit - way, way more than WOW will sell you.

So the 6121 can still VERY comfortably handle anything you can order today. The only reason to buy a 6141 or 6183 is marginal future-proofing or availability. And based on current speed increases, they'll likely all be obsoleted before WOW sells anything that would come close to loading down a 6121.
joebob2000
join:2013-09-27
usa

joebob2000 to adam1991

to adam1991
I had so many issues with the WoW modems that they couldnt even troubleshoot remotely (but were always just modem problems) that I felt pretty comfortable upgrading. I havent had so much as a hiccup with it.
jbanks
join:2011-02-28
Columbus, OH

jbanks

Just to be clear, is this modem also a router? I have wireless needs as well as 2 hardwired computers. No VOIP, just 2 hardwired PC's, 1 wireless PC, 3 tablets, 2 phones, 2 Chromecasts.

And a partridge in a pear tree.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member
Panama City, FL

goober22

No. They make them with wireless routers built-in but personally I'd just buy a separate wireless router and connect the modem to it. It's what I have with an additional AP in the back of the house. This way you can upgrade components separately or replace only a single failed part if the need arises.