All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ThaNerd
join:2014-03-04

ThaNerd

5V USB Hub to 12V LCD Monitor

I am trying to build a boombox where I'll be using a USB hub (5Volts) and a 7" LCD screen (12Volts) is there a way to combine both so that I only have one plug coming out of the boombox?

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat

Jason

Depending on the wattage needed, you could use something like this..

»www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-A ··· 97.l4275
ThaNerd
join:2014-03-04

ThaNerd

So I would join both 5V and 12V cables to this board and have this board connect to the wall outlet?
ThaNerd

ThaNerd

Ok I think I got it, I would connect the 5V to the input of this board, then the output of this board would be connected to the 12V cable which will then go to the wall outlet.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

1 recommendation

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by ThaNerd:

then the output of this board would be connected to the 12V cable which will then go to the wall outlet.

Step back from the wires.

You might want to give a little more info as to what you want to do and with what.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler

join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat

Jason to ThaNerd

to ThaNerd
said by ThaNerd:

Ok I think I got it, I would connect the 5V to the input of this board, then the output of this board would be connected to the 12V cable which will then go to the wall outlet.

Erm, I must have misunderstood. The scope of what you're asking is far larger than I believed it to be. How about a little more info about what exactly you're trying to do.

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO

alphapointe to ThaNerd

MVM

to ThaNerd
Sounds like a Raspberry Pi project to me...

One of these:
»www.ebay.com/itm/Better- ··· a925826f

12V in, split to the LCD and this module, and 5V out from it to the USB hub.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to SparkChaser

MVM

to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

Step back from the wires.

Agree, can you post a block diagram of what you are trying to do and how you want to power your creation.

Providing different voltages is not that hard, but need to know what you are starting with and how much power it is able to supply.

/tom

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to ThaNerd

to ThaNerd
said by ThaNerd:

I am trying to build a boombox where I'll be using a USB hub (5Volts) and a 7" LCD screen (12Volts) is there a way to combine both so that I only have one plug coming out of the boombox?

Yes, as long as the plug has several connectors.

I suggest you to use standard AT molex connectors and cables -- they are already wired for +5V and +12V, and with those you can use a standard AT or ATX power supply to power your devices without much, or any work on the connectors and cables.

If you only want a single connector, it is still doable, but then you need to do some voltage conversion in your boombox.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns to ThaNerd

Premium Member

to ThaNerd
There are 12volt to 5volt and 12volt to USB adapters on amazon. I've used a few in the past four projects.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful to ThaNerd

Premium Member

to ThaNerd
Click for full size
said by ThaNerd:

So I would join both 5V and 12V cables to this board and have this board connect to the wall outlet?

I sincerely suggest that you buy an off-the-shelf AC adapter which provides both 12V and 5V output. Above is just one example which uses a standard MOLEX 4 pin plug.

Inside the boombox, you have to carefully connect wires from a matching MOLEX plug. of course the 12V will go to the LCD.

You can connect the 5V to an USB powered hub so that all its USB ports will supply 5V to whatever external device you plug in.

Please make sure that is actually what you want.

If not ... you probably want 5V to come in via a single USB cable and power the 12V monitor.

Then you will need a wall plug with USB charger port that provides maximum 5V/2A and a 5V-12V DC-DC converter like the one posted earlier. You will end up with about 750mA to the 12V monitor. Check the specs if that is enough.

The USB hub will need to be un-powered because there will be no current left to power those ports. So its USB ports will NOT supply 5V to any connected device in this alternative.

Obviously the two alternatives are completely different. You should explain the boombox application more clearly.