spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

Fioptics Gigabit

Perhaps CB are tired of the press parroting AT&T's "Fiber to the Press Release" announcements (as Karl rightfully likes to call them). It seems that they want to generate some noise of their own regarding their fiber expansion and the introduction of the consumer Gigabit service so they are touting a "big announcement" on August 18. Video and article links below:

»vimeo.com/user17065955/r ··· 4325e2e8

»www.bizjournals.com/cinc ··· ent.html

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK

Premium Member

»www.marketwatch.com/stor ··· 14-08-18

Pretty sparse on details so far (annoying). Will be available starting Sept. 8th. No pricing info nor any mention of possible upgrades to existing tiers. Guess we'll see if any more details emerge. My gut feeling is they're just going to tack it on top for $200+ a month and leave everything else as-is, which would royally suck. I hope I'm wrong though.
mudtoe
join:2005-10-09
Cincinnati, OH

mudtoe to CVGNet

to CVGNet
It's $89.99 for 12 months for "new" activations. Not sure if that means going to Cincinnati Bell for the first time (e.g. switching from Time Warner), upgrading from Zoomtown to fioptics, or raising existing fioptics speed. Also wondering what the upload speed is.

»www.cincinnatibell.com/f ··· gigabit/

DeathK
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK to CVGNet

Premium Member

to CVGNet
Surprising. Seeing it that low even for just new activations means the normal price is still likely to be a lot lower than I thought it was going to be. They're definitely going to have to bump speeds and/or lower prices. All their existing tiers just became massive ripoffs.
Legato1983
join:2012-11-17

Legato1983

I feel like they are missing the mark on pricing. By now everyone knows what Google Fiber is and what it is capable of. CB has gone on record to compare their service to that of Google Fiber only to have it be 20 dollars more expensive, and on top of that for only 12 month if you are a new subscriber... If they are wanting more than 100 dollars a month for this service then I think the money they spent on their infrastructure overhaul to fiber is going to be wasted. I would spend 90 dollars even though every other gigabit provider is, in some cases, substantially less, but I'd have a hard time spending north of 100 dollars a month.

DeathK
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK to CVGNet

Premium Member

to CVGNet
Google Fiber isn't here so they don't have to compete directly with them. Their direct competition is TWC. I don't really agree that their pricing is off the mark on gigabit. The 100Mb service is (and has been) $100 a month normally priced. What is off the mark are their existing tiers if they don't adjust them accordingly.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

CVGNet

The web site seems to be a bit inconsistent. New orders actually typically show the 100Mbps service as $84.99/month with $10/month off for 12 months - so $74.99/month.

I know that some pages do not reflect that but the actual orders do.

Curiously, I am aware of some cases where a higher 12 month discount for 12 was offered - may have been price testing.
CVGNet

CVGNet

It looks like the regular price is $99.99/month:

»www.bizjournals.com/cinc ··· page=all
Legato1983

Legato1983

Nice find. I'm glad they aren't going passed 100 dollars a month for the regular pricing. 100 is my limit and I feel it is probably the limit of many others as well.

I remember seeing people go throughout my neighborhood and running something into the ground along our sidewalks. I'm hoping that was fiber in prep for CB's gigabit service.

The funny thing is if I go to the website to check availability it tells me I have no fioptics at all available, yet I've been using their 30d 5u service for more than a year now.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

If you are using VDSL service it is possible that there are no available ports on the local DSLAM - or new connections have been blocked for some reason.

If you remember the color of the ducting that might give a clue. e.g. Blue is typically water, yellow is typically gas. Smaller bore fiber duct is often orange but not always - and fiber going into an existing larger duct will itself often be black.
mudtoe
Cincinnati, OH

mudtoe to CVGNet

to CVGNet
Anybody heard what the upload speed is that goes with gigabit download?
Legato1983

Legato1983

I think we are assuming its semetrical, which means the same speed both ways.

CVG, I wish I could remember the color. I think it was black but I'm usually wrong. Lol
mudtoe
Cincinnati, OH

mudtoe

I hope that you are correct about it being symmetrical.
said by Legato1983:

I think we are assuming its semetrical, which means the same speed both ways.

I hope you are right about that.
ChrisDG74
join:2010-05-27
Cincinnati, OH

ChrisDG74 to mudtoe

to mudtoe
Someone commented, on CBT's Facebook page, that it's either 250 or 350Mb up.
Legato1983

Legato1983

If it is based upon the upload speeds that they offer businesses then it's 250Mbps. Kind of disappointing, but still pretty fast.
tech90
join:2014-07-23
Cincinnati, OH

tech90 to CVGNet

to CVGNet
I heard G.FAST is capable of delivering Gigabyte speed over copper phone wiring. I have fiber in the apartment but they use the phone wiring to deliver internet using VDSL2. They provided Cisco Cable Box. Is the ONT capable of using the G.FAST standard to delivery Gigabyte internet over copper phone wiring?
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

The ONT is not capable of G.Fast - G.Fast is simply too new. In the future G.Fast might be a useful standard to use for such short internal copper runs.

rotide
@216.68.55.x

rotide

Anon

I've ordered FiOptics Gigabit.

1) The upload speed was quoted to me at 250mbps.
2) There is an install required. They can not just upgrade my 20mpbs fioptics (terminates in my garage) service. Mine is the 26th of September.
3) There is a _mandatory_ modem rental (4.99/mo). This is not included in the $99.99/mo price. I requested, at length, to have this removed and was refused.

Hopefully someone finds this helpful!
Legato1983

Legato1983

Were you a FTTH customer to begin with? Did the website indicate that you were eligible for gigabit or did you just call to find out?

I guess that 89.99 promotional price is for brand new Cinci bell people only? Also, does the installation cost anything and was their a contact associated with the service?

rotide
@216.68.55.x

rotide

Anon

Yes I was a FFTH customer previously. The fiber terminates in my garage and I have their 20/2 service. I didn't bother with the website since it always tends to give me errors so I just called the number on the page (513-565-5100): »www.cincinnatibell.com/f ··· gigabit/

Yeah, I have a feeling the 89.99 is for NEW customers, not for upgrades. Maybe I'll call and see what they can do for me. But, I have difficulties every time I call so I probably won't.

No contract and no install fee. My receipt is as follows:

High-Speed Internet
Fioptics 1Gb
$ 99.99Total

Non-Bundled Services (Charges)

High-Speed Internet
$ 4.99Modem Fee
$ 4.99Total

$ 104.98Total Monthly Charges

Approximate One Time Charges
Pro-Rated Charges
$ 1.66 • Charges/Credit for services from Sep 27 thru Oct 6
$ 1.66One Time Charge Total

mcd

There was a bunch of install date, account number, etc, info as well, obviously I omitted that. I do _not_ subscribe to anything but their fioptics internet. So I don't have phone, tv, or security products from them. That's for pure 1gb internet.

DeathK
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK to CVGNet

Premium Member

to CVGNet
The ONT is likely already gigabit capable so the only real "install" I would imagine is swapping out the router, and making sure the service works properly. The install lead time they gave you is kind of crappy. I wonder if they're still trying to get their ducks in a row. If they can't come out immediately (like the next day) then their advertisement of it being available on the 8th (today) is fairly misleading fluff. Also that "modem" rental fee is nothing new. They've been charging everyone that fee for quite some time now (unless you were successful in getting them to remove it).

rotide
@74.83.50.x

rotide

Anon

DeathK, I was able to have it removed before. They installed, I swapped theirs for mine and told them to keep theirs. They can test on their equipment, I'm fine with that. They can prove it works so later, if I call back, they can say it works on their equipment and now it's on me. Again, I'm fine with that and 100% understand.

It's not a modem. We all know it's a router with WiFi capability. A good commodity router like the N66U (which I have) is gigabit capable. There is no reason they should require I use it. Heck, even cable "modem"'s are interchangeable. I bought a DOCSIS 3 a while back and even TWC allowed me to use it. Although, they didn't charge fees.

If they said that part of the 99.99/mo was the "modem" and I can't get that part removed, I would get that. I would respect that. However, that is _not_ what they do. They put a separate line item on your bill and then tell you you're not allowed to remove it. I'm sure people would love to hear about how I dropped off the equipment and no longer wish to rent it yet they still charge for it.

We'll cross that bridge once it's in my hand and returned to a store.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

CVGNet to DeathK

to DeathK
said by DeathK:

The ONT is likely already gigabit capable

The newer Calix ONTs could be used for Gigabit service but I'm not sure about the older ONTs such as the Alcatel 7342 family. Currently CB seem to be having issues figuring which ONT a customer has at the point of order so scheduling customer premises truck rolls is the norm. Perhaps that will change later.

In future I imagine that some customers should not need a visit - although their cross-connect location would still need a visit (unknown to the customer).

The process seems to have started at least...
ChrisDG74
join:2010-05-27
Cincinnati, OH

ChrisDG74 to mudtoe

to mudtoe
I checked online, and tried to price upgrading my speed. For current Fioptics customers, it's $99.99(Well. $104.98 with the modem)/month. Calling May get you a better deal, don't know.
Crispin
join:2003-06-04
Fairfield, OH

Crispin to CVGNet

to CVGNet
They required a tech visit when I went from 20 to 30Mbps speed. So it doesn't surprise me they want to do the same for a gigabit upgrade.

DeathK
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

3 edits

DeathK to CVGNet

Premium Member

to CVGNet
So when are the speed increases and/or price drops coming for the rest of the FTTH users that don't want or can't afford gigabit? Paying half of the gigabit cost for something 100x slower is beyond ridiculous ($45 for 10mbit vs $90-$100 for 1000mbit). Not to mention 100Mb is now the same price as 1Gb. CBT's the one who chose to jump all the way up to gigabit from 100Mb max, so it only seems fair to adjust their existing tiers accordingly. Nary a peep about any of this from them, and their website still hasn't been updated to reflect even the new gigabit tier (change(s) should have been ready to go live early yesterday... still "1Gbps Coming Soon! Available on the 8th..."). It doesn't seem like they're taking any of this very seriously. Please prove me wrong CBT.

[edit] Now it's gone from "Coming September 8th" to "Coming in September"... »www.cincinnatibell.com/f ··· gigabit/

CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

On the slower speeds they really only have to stay competitive with TWC. There is $15 between the 100Mbps and 1Gbps offerings - not much I know! Why the website is still showing the old 100Mbps price in places I have no idea. It has been $84.99 with a $74.99 12 month offer for months now.

DeathK
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK to CVGNet

Premium Member

to CVGNet
They've updated their site now: »www.cincinnatibell.com/internet/

Looks like no speed bumps or price drops anytime soon. Stuck with crappy 10Mb service :sadpanda:

(Just with home phone lite and 10Mb bundled the bill is over $80 a month with all the additional BS fees and taxes on top)
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

Well at least they do actually say that the 4.99 "modem" fee is extra rather than showing it as optional as they have done in the past.

Of course that does leave me wondering when they will notice that the Gigabit service doesn't actually use a piece of equipment that most people would refer to as a "modem".......

Gamechief
join:2010-06-09
Cincinnati, OH

Gamechief

Just ordered/Upgraded t0 Fioptics Gigabit+TV(elie)+Phone(unlimted long distance) In total im paying $170 for it.

The new package was only $7 more then what i was paying for 100 meg tier and TV combo (which was out of promotion) and most of all it didn't include the phone.

The sad part about it is they arent talking about installing until october 7th WTH. They couldnt be that busy!

Enough with the complaints and lets get happy that most of us have the option of going 1gig.