uniqs
DrTek
join:2010-04-13
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

DrTek to CVGNet

to CVGNet

Re: Fioptics Gigabit

I just had the 1gb installed today. They had to switch out the ONT to a newer version. And the modem is now a Zyxel VMG4381-B10A. I am only getting about 500/243. Two questions. Do I need the router, if I have 100% fiber? The router is hooked up via RJ45. Or would I be able to use my Linksys WRT1900?

If I have to use the Zyxel, is there a way to put it into bridge mode? I had the old ZTE, and was able to get that into bridge. Would also love to have the admin password as well.

I have a Linksys router, so there isn't any way to use Jumbo Packets.
mudtoe
join:2005-10-09
Cincinnati, OH

mudtoe to CVGNet

to CVGNet
My understanding is that if you don't have the TV service, you can hook your router right into the ONT and just get a DHCP address. Double NATing is bad news, so you don't want to have your router behind theirs if you can avoid it.

CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet to DrTek

to DrTek
Do you now have a Calix ONT? If you connect directly to the ONT you will obtain (up to 4) public IP numbers. You can connect any router to that but if you have TV service the router needs to support IGMP proxy otherwise the stream will freeze after 15-20 seconds.
DrTek
Cincinnati, OH

DrTek

Fortunately since I use TiVo, I do not have IP over TV. I was able to bypass the cable router and use the WRT1900ac by putting it in port 4. Thank you for your help. I was only getting a fraction of the 1gb service. I may call today and go back to where I was.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

CVGNet

I looked at an install where a colleague had only been able to get around 500 Mbps down. I took along a device that let us monitor the actual line speed at the ONT. What I noticed is that even running a couple of PCs against speedtest.cincinatibell.com rarely got speeds much above 500 mbps down, but when we had one PC using speedtest.cincinnatibell.com and one using the Beyond Hosting server on www.speedtest.net we could then get the interface to see peeks greater than 900 Mbps down.

Avoid the Troy, OH server on www.speedtest.net. It is useless!!!

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK to DrTek

Premium Member

to DrTek
said by DrTek:

I may call today and go back to where I was.

Why? I could understand if you can't afford it (but that would beg the question why did you upgrade to begin with?), but downgrading to 100Mb or less just because you're not pulling full gigabit speed is utterly ridiculous IMO. We've already gone over why gigabit speed for a single connection is an unrealistic scenario right now. Even CBT points this out in their FAQ.

CVGNet's test above proves they're delivering the bandwidth. There's just really nothing out there right now that can reliably supply that kind of speed for a single connection (except for some synthetic tests maybe).
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

2 edits

CVGNet

said by DeathK:

CVGNet's test above proves they're delivering the bandwidth. There's just really nothing out there right now that can reliably supply that kind of speed for a single connection (except for some synthetic tests maybe).

The test result did seem a bit odd though. Ookla speed test servers use multiple TCP streams/connections to maximize throughput while simulating typical web activity. When we tried two clients connecting to that same (CB) server the total down was around the same as with one client. However having one client use the CB server and one use the Beyond Hosting server produced a different result. The router which is a commercial router never exceeded 10% CPU during the test.

It needs more testing to determine what is really going on...
DrTek
Cincinnati, OH

DrTek to DeathK

to DeathK
What equipment does Google use with their 1gb service? I wonder why CB doesn't have equipment that supports the new increased speed.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

CVGNet

Google deploys direct fiber from customer to the fiber node - it doesn't use GPON. On Fioptics, the newer Calix ONTs support either GPON or direct connections but it isn't clear if any direct connections have been provided to consumers (yet). The older Alcatel-Lucent ONTs only support GPON connections.

The Google Fiber speed test sites certainly don't hit limits at ~500 Mbps. The challenges on Google Fiber tend to be using a router fast enough to deal with the connection and clients fast enough to perform the test - but >900 Mbps test results can certainly be achieved.
ShawnM
join:2014-10-13
Fairfield, OH

ShawnM to CVGNet

to CVGNet
said by CVGNet:

I looked at an install where a colleague had only been able to get around 500 Mbps down. I took along a device that let us monitor the actual line speed at the ONT. What I noticed is that even running a couple of PCs against speedtest.cincinatibell.com rarely got speeds much above 500 mbps down, but when we had one PC using speedtest.cincinnatibell.com and one using the Beyond Hosting server on www.speedtest.net we could then get the interface to see peeks greater than 900 Mbps down.

Avoid the Troy, OH server on www.speedtest.net. It is useless!!!

Sorry, I just upgraded to my 1gig too, and I want to be sure I understand what you are saying because I feel like something is wrong with my setup. From the Beyond Hosting server I'm getting 400/85. There's a server out in Lexington that I can pull 450 down but nowhere near an up of 250. Heck, I don't even get 500 via Cincinnati Bell's own speedtest.

Should I be concerned that they may have pulled a wire poorly, crimped something wrong, or otherwise messed up the install? Is there any way I can plug into the ONT (outside my house) directly and see what speed I'm getting there?
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

Yes you can plug directly into the ONT. Just be aware that you will be getting a public IP there and the device that you connect is exposed to the open internet.