share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

ahh a skunk

I'm working in the boiler room and I hear something ruffling and I look and I see a skunk pop it's head up should I leave the door open? I don't really know how it got Down in that area since I was in that area for 2 hours yesterday so it must be recent..

Can skunks squeeze under doors?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
Call a pest control pro. You risk being sprayed and the remote possibility the skunk is rabid.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I doubt the town animal control would do anything here.. but yeah looking up a number for them now.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
lol he was like I need permission from the person over the maintenance of the building hah yeah that's be buddy.

But anyways he said it's $195 to come out and $50 to remove the skunk

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Subaru
you might want to call a couple. I found prices varied quite a bit.

»How can I get a skunk to relocate

Trap was set for 2 weeks and never caught it. BUT 2 weeks ago I had a trap set for chipmunks and caught a young skunk. Relocated it.

--
“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” - Nelson Mandela

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Well seeing how it has my day hung up I have no other option

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Subaru
Click for full size
Might want to put together something like this first. We have some new skunks in the neighborhood and I see them often, so I figure it's only a matter of time.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo

3 edits
reply to Subaru
When I worked in MA in July, a skunk family was discovered under a building. I thankfully was not a member of the remediation team. My point being there were numerous laws in MA on what to do if skunks are trapped for removal. The little ones need to be re-located to an authorized location to allow them training to return to the wild, and the elders to be euthanized.

I have no clue what CT wants, but I would imagine a lengthy song and dance is their way as well.

I surely doubt a skunk can get under even a 2" gap under a door, but I could be wrong.

Some bait and draw it out may prove useful.

Like DKS said and you may well know, skunks often carry rabies. Some google on how to avoid rabies would be good. Even the saliva on fur can transmit rabies. If the cure is as it was 10 or 20 year ago, you REALLY don't want to get rabies.

Some info of absolutely no good use: Skunks are also known as Polecats.

If a skunk does not want to leave via a bait trail: From the you didn't hear this from me and don't get caught archives - some car exhaust into the enclosed room can make a difference. When it is over, black plastic trash bags and rubber gloves are handy too. Cheap extension hoses often disguise themselves as sump pump hoses as available at hardware stores. Duct tape allows multiple connections. Moving very slowly and calmly near them should allow a non spray set up. No guarantee there though. A good story about a skunk with a swastika doing the gas chamber setup could prove useful, although that probably isn't funny.

Just sayin'

mustbekiddin

@69.118.94.x
said by Grumpy:

The little ones need to be re-located to an authorized location to allow them training to return to the wild, and the elders to be euthanized.

And this is what is wrong with the world. You can't just kill the things, or toss them somewhere else. Nope, what a god damn joke.

Op you really must be kidding with your question.

First off the thing aint a octopus, and under a door.... that has what size gap...

Come on.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo

3 edits

1 recommendation

"I tink dat guy fwum 69.118.94.x needs to get waid"

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to ArgMeMatey
Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda...
Can't tell what else is in your kit.

We also added Oxy-Clean to our kit.

We gave up on Tomatoes...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to mustbekiddin
Think I'm kidding.. he set two traps up one inside by the door and another outside he will be coming back tomorrow.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here is the door

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ttiiggy
said by ttiiggy:

Can't tell what else is in your kit.

Bucket contains:
Hydrogen Peroxide, 32 oz.
Baking soda
Liquid hand soap
Measuring cup
Rags
A paper copy of this recipe:
»home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/···0001.htm
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
said by ArgMeMatey:

A paper copy of this recipe:
»home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/···0001.htm

" leave the solution on about 5 minutes "

This was my biggest problem last winter at about about 11:00PM at ~10°F when the dog got sprayed.
...standing out in the yard in my 'deemed to be disposable' underwear, holding said dog so she wouldn't run away, me also wet from application...

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
reply to Subaru
A skunk can squeeze through an opening the size of a baseball to softball in size.

Beware of the smell in a building. It could smell for weeks.

what the

join:2014-06-28
usa
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I doubt the town animal control would do anything here

They will come and catch it then release it a good distance from your house, at least that's what the ASPCA did here with a possum that was under my shed.

what the

usa
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Here is the door

Lay a piece of a 2"x4" along the bottom of the door don't nail it just lay it down to stop the skunk from entering again, and all it'll cost is the price of a 2"x4" if you don't have any laying around, about $3 in Home Depot.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Ya gotta get it outside first before you can do that!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Hopefully when I check tomorrow one of the trap doors will be closed.

what the

usa
reply to Pacrat

said by Pacrat:

Ya gotta get it outside first before you can do that!

It has to go out to eat!

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

But anyways he said it's $195 to come out and $50 to remove the skunk

A pellet rifle is way cheaper.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Still nothing caught after day 2 he said he was going to try one more day then take back the traps.

what the

usa
Is the skunk still in the room?
Can't catch something that's not there.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
reply to Subaru
I had tracks go right by the trap. They are smart or can't smell bait.

Of course, I caught that one 2 weeks ago when I didn't want it.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to what the
Who knows.. im not sticking my head in a friken 5x5 size area.. and not only that having to look upside down in that space

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Guy came to take the traps back, the food was not taken.. he asked if I really did see it and I said yeah.. so it did some checking and he did see skunk poop but can't figure out where they went.. thought maybe the drain on the floor but nope blocked off..

So he told me to call back if I smell anything like it's dead.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Subaru
I've known people who have captured skunks. Typically they would just put there spoiled left overs in a live trap. You may have to thin out the population of coons and opossums, but sooner or later you will catch your skunk. Disposal of the undesirables, such as non pets, was completed with a trash bin and water hose. A tarp will ensure that the skunk and associated leavings either remain inside or contained. A soak of 10 minutes will result in saturation and termination of movement. Disposal was conveniently done in the same trash bin. Your mileage may very.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

what the

usa
reply to Subaru
block off the door and any other (safe for you to get to) places the skunk can get through and starve it to death.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to Subaru
Hope you keep your dog (if you own one) away from those kitties. Mine got sprayed by one and we had to buy skunk shampoo and bathe the dog at 11PM.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.