how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ggg

@68.98.52.x

Mount tv on rock fireplace

Click for full size
I know the downsides of mounting a tv on a fireplace. I don't use the fireplace (live in AZ) and will run wiring by cutting out a path in the grout/mortar, running wire, then re-grouting/mortar over the wiring. My question is, should I drill into the rock or the mortar to place the tv mount and what should I use to properly fasten the mount in the fireplace.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Drill into the mortar (easier to repair if needed and does no permanent damage). After locating locations for the mounting bolts, I would drill the first hole and install the bolt. Then use the mount to locate three more towards the four corners installing each bolt before drilling the next hole. I would use stainless all thread cut to appropriate lengths for the mounting bolts (studs) and set it into the drilled holes with epoxy. You can then put a set of nuts and washers on the bolts behind the mount and another set in front of it. Adjust each to achieve a plumb installation.

I like using a full motion mount in locations such as this. Makes it really nice to work on the wires as you can pull the TV away from the wall, do the work, and then push it back in.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

2 recommendations

reply to ggg

That's going to be an extremely difficult install. You'll be doing tons of shimming. I'll have to respectfully disagree with mounting anchors into mortar. I would drill directly into the rock. I've seen more anchors pull out of mortar than I care to mention.
If this is faux rock or veneer, you need to find out what is behind it before you do anything.
I also dislike your plan for running the wires. What type of wire do you intend to encase in grout / mortar?
While you are at the hardware store, you'll probably want to stop at Walgreens and pick up a couple of neck braces, some icy hot, and a bottle of tylenol for the neck pain that comes with watching TV's mounted above fireplaces.

You should really look for a more suitable mounting location.
--
...or the sheriff will grab ya and the boys will bring you down. The next thing you know, boy - oh you're prison bound...

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to ggg

Rock

eakes

join:2000-10-20
Richardson, TX
reply to ggg

From looking at the structure I would suspect this is faux rock mounted on a substrate consisting of plywood and wire mesh. Your actual anchor needs to be into whatever is behind the 'rock' as i would not trust the rock face to support any additional weight.

Drilling through the grout area to position the anchors will be the easiest but the actual anchor needs to be set in whatever structure is behind the rock, not the rock itself. I would also use a backerboard between the face anchors and the actual TV mounting bracket as it will be extremely difficult to align the TV bracket mounting holes with the mortar joints and maintain the desire mounting location. Note: trying to drill through the rock veneer may result in detaching that piece from its mounting structure.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

I've seen more anchors pull out of mortar than I care to mention.

That's why I specified epoxy. It doesn't pull out. However, the first thing to ascertain is if that is a real rock wall or fake as another has mentioned.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

There's no lintel holding the "rock" above the opening ... it's fake.

what the

join:2014-06-28
usa
reply to ggg

What about just placing it on the wall next to the fireplace?
Myself I don't like how the bracket would have to be nailed/screwed/anchored on.

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

3 recommendations

reply to ggg

Rip out the rock, looks hideous

what the

usa

said by bryank:

Was just going to post the same thing.
I know most of the heat goes straight up the chute, but some heat does escape and without a mantle piece you have nothing to protect the TV from the heat that does escape.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to bryank

said by bryank:

I suspect are somebody who thinks anything put in over 10 years ago is "dated". Do you watch to see what is "in" this year?

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ggg

There is something about that fireplace that is just not visually appealing sorry to say.. I searched others »www.google.com/search?q=rock+fir···00%3B616 and have come to the opinion besides it being a matter of taste... I am not fond of the straight up and down look.. possibly a mantle would help. Attempting though not to get too much off topic, I would build a nice mantle and you can have it extend both sides of the rock making it a sturdy place for a TV however, as others have said.. it might be best to add shelving on both sides of the fireplace (to avoid that straight up and down look) and place the TV on one side with other interesting things on the other.

Just a thought and sorry I can't answer your original question of how to.
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to ggg

Well this project just got a little larger

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to dandelion

said by dandelion:

... build a nice mantle ... (to avoid that straight up and down look)

It looks like a tree made of stone or an outdoor fireplace that the house was built around. Which is also what a smokestack looks like. Smokestacks look better in industrial chic decorating, when they are brick.

I'll second the mantle. Regardless of the TV placement, a low, wide stone mantle might help break up the smokestack look. Check out that option with a stonecutter or a quarry shop. Maybe they could route a wiring groove, or embed raceways (one for 120V and one for low voltage) along the back. As previously mentioned you can put your TV on top of the mantle. Low enough, you won't have as many neck issues.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

what the

usa
reply to ggg

I think as far as the fireplace looks, maybe painting the walls next to the fireplace will make it look better, the color there now makes the fireplace look like crap.

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
reply to ggg

I vote mantle.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to ggg

I kind of like the chimney. I'm not crazy about the wall / carpet color - but it's not my house and I don't have to live in it.
--
...or the sheriff will grab ya and the boys will bring you down. The next thing you know, boy - oh you're prison bound...

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to ggg

A mantle - large, aged timber would be my vote - would break it up; and add some visual interest.

Properly done; the mantle could provide a shelf for the TV, and encompass a wiring chase for the cabling..

It looks like cultured or man-made stone to me; there's likely a studded structure behind that could support the mantle/shelf without much work...

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ggg

That's definitely light weight face stone. It needs a mantle anyway and if OP is thinking of drilling holes, a mantle wouldn't be too much more work.
Mauve has been "in" for the last couple of years. I've found that common antiques aren't returning much after re-finishing but painting it mauve and selling around the north shore works out. At least as long as mauve is desirable.

what the

usa
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

Properly done; the mantle could provide a shelf for the TV, and encompass a wiring chase for the cabling.....

IF! you'll never know until you mess with it.

what the

usa

2 edits
reply to ggg

Hold on a second, you mention cutting a line to bury the wiring in the mortar joint, telling you now you may really screw things up if you try to match the mortar color as the old grout has now aged.
Put the TV on a normal wall and placing the TV
High up makes your eyes close and puts you to sleep.
Down low and/or Level keeps your eyes open unless Oprah is on!

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

.... doesn't work for me. Every night it' a marathon between Oprah and Dr. Phil. There's some really messed up people/families out there ....