mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4

2 recommendations

[Equipment] Another build your own Linux embedded PBX system under $10

I posted this article (Build your own Linux embedded PBX system for $19.99) about 1.5 years ago and also this article (Own a FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for $24.99) 4+ years ago. Many of you took advantage of the articles to build your own PBX System. If you missed the boat, don't worry because Amazon currently has a Pogoplug Backup and Sharing Device under $10.00. It is a bit slower than a Seagate Dockstar, yet it is powerful enough to host an Asterisk PBX System. I don't own this device, so I don't know much about it. However, readers at the OpenWRT forum seem to be doing something about supporting this device as shown in this discussion thread. If you are interested, feel free to grab one and participate in the discussion thread to start hacking the box.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

doc

join:2014-08-16

1 recommendation

If you're looking at these, keep in mind that there's 2 very similar models with different specs.

The one mazilo linked to (ie, this one) is actually the Poloplug "Mobile", aka model POGO-V4-A1-01, not to be confused with the Pogoplug Series 4 (this one) aka model POGO-V4-A3-01 which has significantly better specs for I/O, including SATA and USB3, although I think it's the same CPU.

If you're looking at using it for Asterisk only then it probably doesn't make much difference, but for any uses involving I/O (eg, disk server/etc), the series 4 is significantly better.

I almost bought one of these to toy with when they got to $20 but decided against it as there just seemed to be too high a risk of bricking it, but at $10 it's going to be hard to say no...

twinclouds

join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA
reply to mazilo
I have one of these. It has no problem to handle Asterisk. The best discussion on installing Debian onto it is in this thread (»forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,11663) and its updates. Budhi is always very helpful to help you to go through if there's any issues.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to doc
said by doc:

If you're looking at these, keep in mind that there's 2 very similar models with different specs.

The one mazilo linked to (ie, this one) is actually the Poloplug "Mobile", aka model POGO-V4-A1-01, not to be confused with the Pogoplug Series 4 (this one) aka model POGO-V4-A3-01 which has significantly better specs for I/O, including SATA and USB3, although I think it's the same CPU.

If you're looking at using it for Asterisk only then it probably doesn't make much difference, but for any uses involving I/O (eg, disk server/etc), the series 4 is significantly better.

Exactly. And, thank you for the above clarifications. The POGO-V4-A1-01 is equivalent to a Seagate Dockstar while the POGO-V4-A3-01 is equivalent to a Seagate GoFLEX NET.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
reply to mazilo
said by mazilo:

If you missed the boat, don't worry because Amazon currently has a Pogoplug Backup and Sharing Device under $10.00.

Please note it's more like $16-17 after shipping and taxes.
--
Providers (through asterisk): voip.ms, freephoneline, smartcall.ro, ipcomms, callcentric. Hardware: Vonage VDV21, Moto VT2x42, Linksys SPA series, Grandstream HT series, Panasonic KX-TGP5x0
»www.voipfan.net

josephf

join:2009-04-26
Unless you have Prime, in which case shipping is free. (And tax is not collected by Amazon in most States.)

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to toro
said by toro:

said by mazilo:

If you missed the boat, don't worry because Amazon currently has a Pogoplug Backup and Sharing Device under $10.00.

Please note it's more like $16-17 after shipping and taxes.

Yes and that is true on most purchases @Amazon. However, if your purchase exceeds $35, the S/H is free.
--

twinclouds

San Diego, CA
reply to mazilo
said by mazilo:

The POGO-V4-A1-01 is equivalent to a Seagate Dockstar

The processor in the Pogo mobile has a clock rate lower than Dockstar. I did a benchmark test using sysbench on them with Debian. The scores are 1/153 (Pogo mobile) vs. 1/103 (Dockstar). Both should be sufficient as Asterisk PBX server with a few users, though.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
said by twinclouds:

said by mazilo:

The POGO-V4-A1-01 is equivalent to a Seagate Dockstar

The processor in the Pogo mobile has a clock rate lower than Dockstar. I did a benchmark test using sysbench on them with Debian. The scores are 1/153 (Pogo mobile) vs. 1/103 (Dockstar). Both should be sufficient as Asterisk PBX server with a few users, though.

Yes and you are right. The CPU of a POGO-V4-A1-01 is also clocked at 2/3 the speed of the CPU of a Seagate Dockstar (1.2 GHz). I wonder if the POGO-V4-A1-01 CPU can be over clocked to 1.2 GHz to see if it will deliver the same performance as a Seagate Dockstar.
--

twinclouds

San Diego, CA
reply to toro
You can get one at the same price with free shipping from Adoramea on ebay: »www.ebay.com/itm/Pogoplug-POGO-V···1b1d0dea

twinclouds

San Diego, CA
reply to mazilo
Here is another one. $8 and free shipping: »www.rakuten.com/prod/pogoplug-mo···id=28894

Ole Juul

join:2013-04-27
Coalmont, BC
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to twinclouds
said by twinclouds:

You can get one at the same price with free shipping from Adoramea on ebay: »www.ebay.com/itm/Pogoplug-POGO-V···1b1d0dea

How do you know it's free shipping? I was about to buy one of those (and still might), but it doesn't say free and the shipping calculator is incompetently coded.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
I picked up two of them at Rakuten for $7.99 each. The shipping was free.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Ole Juul
said by Ole Juul:

said by twinclouds:

How do you know it's free shipping? I was about to buy one of those (and still might), but it doesn't say free and the shipping calculator is incompetently coded.

I looked at this item on ebay. The shipping is free. says so right in the add.

Ole Juul

join:2013-04-27
Coalmont, BC
Reviews:
·Callcentric
I think you get a different page when you click that link. Anyway, I found the info down below: "Items with "free shipping" are only shipped free to the 48 contiguous United States." I'd buy it anyway, but that listing doesn't work properly. Screwy coding. No big deal, I've decided to get one and there's lots of good deals everywhere so I'll probably be able to find one under $20 somewhere.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Oh, you are in Canada. That makes it different.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to twinclouds
said by twinclouds:

Here is another one. $8 and free shipping: »www.rakuten.com/prod/pogoplug-mo···id=28894

Wow, you really did a good hunt on this. Thanks.
--

twinclouds

San Diego, CA
Well. I actually got an email from Rakuten about this deal, but I have two already and don't use them very much. Some of my servers have been moved to VPS's.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
said by twinclouds:

Well. I actually got an email from Rakuten about this deal, but I have two already and don't use them very much. Some of my servers have been moved to VPS's.

IC. But, thank you for sharing this savings here with us.
--

deskjockey

join:2005-04-17
Charlotte, NC
Well I caught the Mazilo bug and bought the Seagate "Free Agent" model when he was bringing each sale to our attention. David Newton graciously guided me to set Asterisk on my Asus router so I never used the Dockstar. But $8 looks tempting to have a spare if I ever go the Dockstar way.

How does the Free Agent model compare to the Rakuten offer? It shows it works on Windows XP/7. I assume it doesn't with Linux.

Pufferty

join:2014-07-07
reply to twinclouds
I jest bought this without thinking. Hopefully I can configure this with Asterisk without too much trouble!

twinclouds

San Diego, CA
Well, some effort will be needed. You should check Jeff's forum and the related discussion that I mentioned previously.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to deskjockey
said by deskjockey:

Well I caught the Mazilo bug ...

LOL ...

But $8 looks tempting to have a spare if I ever go the Dockstar way.

AFAICT, a POGO-V4-A1-01 is similar to a Seagate Dockstar with less USB ports, slower CPU (clocked @800 MHz), and with an SD card slot. For under US$8 with a free S/H to any US lower 48 States, I think this is a steal. You can do a whole lot of projects with this device for much less.

How does the Free Agent model compare to the Rakuten offer? It shows it works on Windows XP/7.

Those information are related to its original firmware.
--

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
Lilburn, GA
reply to Pufferty
said by Pufferty:

I jest bought this without thinking. Hopefully I can configure this with Asterisk without too much trouble!

You probably have cleaned up Rakuten's inventory. It is now listed as sold out.
--

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
LOL. Well I got dibs on two of them last night. So there!

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Pufferty
said by Pufferty:

Looks fairly painless to get Debian installed here:

»blog.qnology.com/2014/07/hacking···ile.html

From there getting Asterisk, etc on it depends on your Linux experience level. Should be well documented elsewhere.

I'm sure a new thread will be stared soon - Rakuten will be shipping soon

Pufferty

Reviews:
·VOIPO
said by graysonf:

Lead the way, my friend. I'll be there!

Pufferty

Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to graysonf
said by graysonf:

This will be like our unlocked Basic Talk devices that sit in our closets, unused

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
I do have a BasicTalk unlocked box sitting in my closet unused!

But I am going to try to replace a small form factor iDEQ PC that is used to store log files, track bandwidth usage, and offer a few files via an sftp server with the Pogoplug. I just replaced the fans in the iDEQ and it's quieter, but the Pogoplug would be silent as its fanless.

Pufferty

Reviews:
·VOIPO
said by graysonf:

I do have a BasicTalk unlocked box sitting in my closet unused!

I know, I remember you saying that in another thread, hence the mention. As do I!