Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to doc

Premium Member

to doc

Re: [Equipment] Another build your own Linux embedded PBX system under $10

said by doc:

If you're looking at these, keep in mind that there's 2 very similar models with different specs.

The one mazilo linked to (ie, this one) is actually the Poloplug "Mobile", aka model POGO-V4-A1-01, not to be confused with the Pogoplug Series 4 (this one) aka model POGO-V4-A3-01 which has significantly better specs for I/O, including SATA and USB3, although I think it's the same CPU.

If you're looking at using it for Asterisk only then it probably doesn't make much difference, but for any uses involving I/O (eg, disk server/etc), the series 4 is significantly better.

Exactly. And, thank you for the above clarifications. The POGO-V4-A1-01 is equivalent to a Seagate Dockstar while the POGO-V4-A3-01 is equivalent to a Seagate GoFLEX NET.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

said by mazilo:

The POGO-V4-A1-01 is equivalent to a Seagate Dockstar

The processor in the Pogo mobile has a clock rate lower than Dockstar. I did a benchmark test using sysbench on them with Debian. The scores are 1/153 (Pogo mobile) vs. 1/103 (Dockstar). Both should be sufficient as Asterisk PBX server with a few users, though.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by twinclouds:

said by mazilo:

The POGO-V4-A1-01 is equivalent to a Seagate Dockstar

The processor in the Pogo mobile has a clock rate lower than Dockstar. I did a benchmark test using sysbench on them with Debian. The scores are 1/153 (Pogo mobile) vs. 1/103 (Dockstar). Both should be sufficient as Asterisk PBX server with a few users, though.

Yes and you are right. The CPU of a POGO-V4-A1-01 is also clocked at 2/3 the speed of the CPU of a Seagate Dockstar (1.2 GHz). I wonder if the POGO-V4-A1-01 CPU can be over clocked to 1.2 GHz to see if it will deliver the same performance as a Seagate Dockstar.
twinclouds
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

Here is another one. $8 and free shipping: »www.rakuten.com/prod/pog ··· id=28894
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by twinclouds:

Here is another one. $8 and free shipping: »www.rakuten.com/prod/pog ··· id=28894

Wow, you really did a good hunt on this. Thanks.
twinclouds
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

Well. I actually got an email from Rakuten about this deal, but I have two already and don't use them very much. Some of my servers have been moved to VPS's.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by twinclouds:

Well. I actually got an email from Rakuten about this deal, but I have two already and don't use them very much. Some of my servers have been moved to VPS's.

IC. But, thank you for sharing this savings here with us.
deskjockey
join:2005-04-17
Charlotte, NC

deskjockey

Well I caught the Mazilo bug and bought the Seagate "Free Agent" model when he was bringing each sale to our attention. David Newton graciously guided me to set Asterisk on my Asus router so I never used the Dockstar. But $8 looks tempting to have a spare if I ever go the Dockstar way.

How does the Free Agent model compare to the Rakuten offer? It shows it works on Windows XP/7. I assume it doesn't with Linux.
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
join:2014-07-07
Rockville, MD

Pufferty to twinclouds

to twinclouds
I jest bought this without thinking. Hopefully I can configure this with Asterisk without too much trouble!
twinclouds
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

Well, some effort will be needed. You should check Jeff's forum and the related discussion that I mentioned previously.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to deskjockey

Premium Member

to deskjockey
said by deskjockey:

Well I caught the Mazilo bug ...

LOL ...

But $8 looks tempting to have a spare if I ever go the Dockstar way.

AFAICT, a POGO-V4-A1-01 is similar to a Seagate Dockstar with less USB ports, slower CPU (clocked @800 MHz), and with an SD card slot. For under US$8 with a free S/H to any US lower 48 States, I think this is a steal. You can do a whole lot of projects with this device for much less.

How does the Free Agent model compare to the Rakuten offer? It shows it works on Windows XP/7.

Those information are related to its original firmware.
mazilo

mazilo to Pufferty

Premium Member

to Pufferty
said by Pufferty:

I jest bought this without thinking. Hopefully I can configure this with Asterisk without too much trouble!

You probably have cleaned up Rakuten's inventory. It is now listed as sold out.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

LOL. Well I got dibs on two of them last night. So there!
graysonf

graysonf to Pufferty

MVM

to Pufferty
said by Pufferty:

Looks fairly painless to get Debian installed here:

»blog.qnology.com/2014/07 ··· ile.html

From there getting Asterisk, etc on it depends on your Linux experience level. Should be well documented elsewhere.

I'm sure a new thread will be stared soon - Rakuten will be shipping soon
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
Rockville, MD

Pufferty

said by graysonf:

Lead the way, my friend. I'll be there!
Pufferty

Pufferty to graysonf

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

This will be like our unlocked Basic Talk devices that sit in our closets, unused

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I do have a BasicTalk unlocked box sitting in my closet unused!

But I am going to try to replace a small form factor iDEQ PC that is used to store log files, track bandwidth usage, and offer a few files via an sftp server with the Pogoplug. I just replaced the fans in the iDEQ and it's quieter, but the Pogoplug would be silent as its fanless.
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
Rockville, MD

Pufferty

said by graysonf:

I do have a BasicTalk unlocked box sitting in my closet unused!

I know, I remember you saying that in another thread, hence the mention. As do I!

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

But I bought two Pogoplugs. I hope one will do what I want it to do. The other one will probably live in that closet next to the BasicTalk box unmodified until needed.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to Pufferty

Premium Member

to Pufferty
said by Pufferty:

said by graysonf:

Lead the way, my friend. I'll be there!

Perhaps, it is best to start downloading some Asterisk Docs and peruse them while awaiting for the order to arrive.