Search similar:

uniqs
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

Any reason to avoid switching to a newer plan?

I'm on the 35/3 Rcable teksavvy plan. I'm thinking of switching to the 30/5 plan to get the extra download. I seem to recall that some stuff (possibility regulatory) was being sorted out that might affect the new plans but not the old ones. My impression was prices might change for the new plans but the older plans were more resistant to price changes (and you can't go back). Has all this been sorted out now or are there any good reasons to avoid switching plans?
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee

i would stay on 35/3 since in most cases download is more important than upload, and the price is cheaper i think? i can't remember the price of 35/3 but 30/5 is like 55$/month for 300gb

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
Depends how much you value the upload speed.
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

I've done the math I value going from 35/3 to 30/5 with a $3 increase. I upload my backups to the cloud and post a lot of photos. The change will mean an hour's worth of uploading will take 36 minutes. I won't begrudge the 7 extra minutes it will take to download a large game (10 gigabytes) assuming steam is maxing out my connection. I use ZTC after 8.

I guess what I'm more or less asking is are there any funky CRTC rulings coming up that are going to drastically change prices that would make me have wished I stayed with the old plan. My goal is to keep my base price under $60.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by graniterock:

I guess what I'm more or less asking is are there any funky CRTC rulings coming up that are going to drastically change prices that would make me have wished I stayed with the old plan.

Based on your premise, all signs point to making the switch.

More specifically..
There is a ruling due on price increases for the 25/2 35/3 45/4 family of speeds. The only dramatic price increase is on 25/2 ($5-10/month), so that ruling has little effect on you, but it might still cause a 35/3 price increase (maybe up to $3/month? can't recall exactly).

There is a ruling due on the price of the new speeds. Those prices can only go down, they are currently set at the price Rogers thinks is fair (hahahahaha ).

There is a wholesale services review, which will have a long term effect, but isn't likely to cause anything much to happen in the next 6-12 months.
sil5
join:2007-06-30
ON

sil5

where can I find out more about this price increase for 25/2 rCable?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

This is probably the best place to start:
»[Cable] Rate increase and update on a few things

resa1983 has put together a very helpful table too:
»docs.google.com/spreadsh ··· ng#gid=0

If you are interested, you can dig into the actual CRTC documents:
»crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2013/r28.htm

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock

Also, will a plan change force you to buy a new and different modem ?

I keep reading posts of laments from folks who were (or would be) forced to do that by Rogers, when their account was with TSI or another TPIA IISP.
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

I'm good for the modem. (DCM476)

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by graniterock:

I'm good for the modem. (DCM476)

Yes you're good, but only for 60/10.

And for now maybe even 150/15, but as soon as the 24x8 series modems become available 8x4 modems will no longer be allowed on the 150/15 plans. (So thats why I'm waiting on my grandfathered plan).
sil5
ON

sil5 to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
I had followed those in the past and don't see exactly where 25/2 specifically is increasing by 5-10$ as you had described. Unless you're talking about resa1983's doc and the delta between the 14.45 interim tarrif and the 21.03 proposed tarrif?
said by Teddy Boom:

This is probably the best place to start:
»[Cable] Rate increase and update on a few things

resa1983 has put together a very helpful table too:
»docs.google.com/spreadsh ··· ng#gid=0

If you are interested, you can dig into the actual CRTC documents:
»crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2013/r28.htm

graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'd go for the 60/10 but it doesn't meet my goal of a 300 GB ZTC plan for under $60. I'll be making the request in the next few days for the 30/5.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to sil5

Premium Member

to sil5
That's the price increase, ya. Being proposed, the CRTC still has to rule. It could be full and retroactive, as Rogers asks. That would cost TekSavvy A HUGE PILE OF MONEY. Or it could be reduced or made zero.
sil5
ON

sil5

OK thanks. When you mentioned that there would be a dramatic price increase I thought that the ruling was already done and an increase was indeed coming. I didn't know you were talking about a hypothetical scenario.
said by Teddy Boom:

That's the price increase, ya. Being proposed, the CRTC still has to rule. It could be full and retroactive, as Rogers asks. That would cost TekSavvy A HUGE PILE OF MONEY. Or it could be reduced or made zero.