Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Re: Microsoft recommends removing update 2982791

To fully "revert" this, do we need to do all of the steps in the "Mitigations" section? Instead of doing a quote, I did a screen grab of that full section from the KB Article

The reason I ask is that the uninstall of the 4 KB articles is just one step out of many that Microsoft is asking that you do. The others, as you can see by the above image, involve deleting a specific file, exporting some registry keys, in addition to the uninstall of the 4 KB articles.

It looks to me that to fully remove things, and advert any potential damage from said updates, all of these steps would need to be taken. Does everyone agree?

--Brian
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

Do you have any open type font shortcuts in the Windows Fonts directory? If not and you have successfully COLD BOOTED your Windows 7,8, 8.1 computer at least three times since installing any of the listed updates then you are not affected. However, I would uninstall any of the KB's listed that you have installed so that if you were to install a program (before Microsoft issues a fix) that installs open type font shortcuts in the Windows Fonts directory you would not suddenly be affected by this issue. This is what I gleaned from reading all 36 pages of the thread at Microsoft forums.

Here's the first post in that humungous thread from a Microsoft employee indicating why some do and some don't have a problem with these patches. I can't see any way (even using IE) to point you to a specific post in that 36 page thread. So, you want the post from Eliyas Yakub [MSFT] HALF WAY DOWN on this page:

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 75709691

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Do you have any open type font shortcuts in the Windows Fonts directory? If not and you have successfully COLD BOOTED your Windows 7,8, 8.1 computer at least three times since installing any of the listed updates then you are not affected.

I went looking at my Fonts directory and it looks like I have at least one

I think I've only done 1 or 2 cold boots since I've installed the updates back on the 13th (Wednesday). So far, no issues but I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and follow all the steps in the "Mitigation" section just to play it safe.

--Brian

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

1 edit

bluepoint to plencnerb

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

To fully "revert" this, do we need to do all of the steps in the "Mitigations" section? Instead of doing a quote, I did a screen grab of that full section from the KB Article
The reason I ask is that the uninstall of the 4 KB articles is just one step out of many that Microsoft is asking that you do. The others, as you can see by the above image, involve deleting a specific file, exporting some registry keys, in addition to the uninstall of the 4 KB articles.

My take on this is, if you were able to uninstall the KB's in the normal "uninstall an update" from the control panel, there is no need to do the regedit steps. The registry steps are only recommended to be performed(delete fntcache) when you are unable to boot to Windows so that you can uninstall the KB's. If you check the KB article, the registry/deleting of fntcache is under "Known Issue 3".
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
That's a True Type font that has the shortcut. It is Open Type fonts with shortcuts that appear to cause the problem. Adobe Photoshop installs a bunch of these.

But I don't blame you for doing the mitigation. As I read the Microsoft thread, a lot of posters thought that KB2976897 was also a culprit so I uninstalled it although I had no problems after installing it and rebooting. However, I have not even once done a cold boot so to be on the ultra safe side I uninstalled it. (I never installed KB2982791 because I somehow missed it as I do manual updates and it is in the same MS KB article as 2976897 so I only saw that one. I'm glad I was sloppy and forgot to go back and also install KB2982791).

Boooost
@24.190.186.x

Boooost to plencnerb

Anon

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

do we need to do all of the steps in the "Mitigations" section?

That's only if you get a crash with a 0x50 Stop error message.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Well, I did some investigation of the Mitigation steps that I posted. For the registry step, I don't have any that I would need to delete. Knowing that, I probably don't need to delete and re-create the fntcache.dat file. That would leave then, just the uninstall of the 4 listed KB articles that I would need to perform.

So, what I'm going to do is remove those 4 KB's, and then wait for Microsoft to re-issue them.

While I have not seen issues yet, I feel that is probably the best course of action at this point.

--Brian
plencnerb

plencnerb

Premium Member

Well, I only had 2 of the updates installed

KB2982791: MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 12, 2014

KB2975719: August 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2

I do want to point out that since I had issues getting KB2975719 installed (move of the Windows Journal Shortcut), the removal of the update also failed unless I put that shortcut in the proper place!

So, both of these have been removed from my system. Now its just a matter of seeing how long it takes Microsoft to fix and re-issue these patches.

--Brian