Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to sfogliatelle

Premium Member

to sfogliatelle

Re: Microsoft recommends removing update 2982791

BSOD from Page Fault in Nonpaged Area IS caused by KB2982791! Did you delete the fntcache.dat file and reboot? That fixes the BSOD but with a BSOD like this one it is not easy to be able to delete that file.

You must have done something to get the KB to uninstall and that is why it is not in the Installed Updates list.

I'm curious....do you have shortcuts for any open type font in your system fonts folder?

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

sfogliatelle

Premium Member

To be honest, I dunno *what* I did that brought the 'puter back to life though I certainly didn't deliberately delete any dat files. While in Safe Mode with network capabilities (?) I tried restoring to 13August. No more distant date appeared available at the time. At first it wasn't successful. I tried it again and, well, it may have been what resuscitated the desktop.

Thanks Mele20 See Profile for hipping me to the connection between my recent dilemma and what was originally perceived as coincidence with the updates of 13August. It's a helluva note that what we've been led to believe and rely on from Microsoft turns out to be unhealthy for our systems.