IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Business] Will switching to Comcast business result in better service

Will switching to Comcast business result in a better quality of service, support, and reliability

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Not immediately on all fronts - your local plant is still the same equipment that was there with the previous company.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What advantages does business class have.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Will switching to Comcast business result in a better quality of service, support, and reliability

Since BCI uses the same infrastructure as Xfinity residential service, the quality and/or reliability will not change.

As for support, the BCI phone support (in my experience) is marginally better, but don't expect miracles -- you will still get script readers, and you will still sometimes get totally clueless CSRs. Local maintenance is still performed by the same employees (it is after all the same infrastructure), but some areas may have a few techs who are semi-dedicated to BCI premises work (if the work load justifies it). Some franchise areas do try to assign a higher priority to BCI service calls, but there is no guarantee that will be the case everywhere (or for every service call). And if my own experience is an indication of policy, you can count on being billed a minimum $100 for any truck roll, even if the reason for the truck roll is Comcast infrastructure (and even if you did not request a truck roll).
NetFixer

NetFixer to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

What advantages does business class have.

The only tangible advantages are no data allocation restrictions (what some incorrectly call "caps"), the ability to have public static IP address(es) (with the associated ability to get custom rDNS records for the IP address(es)), and the ability to run public facing servers without violating a TOS/AUP restriction (and in regard to the ability to run servers, port 25 is not automatically blocked for BCI customers).

You may get better/faster support, but there is no actual guarantee that will happen in any given franchise area.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
My question is do they provision the modem differently with no throttling or network optimization. And what advantages does a static IP have. I was thinking of switching to satellite internet but I'm thinking of Comcast business class now.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

said by IowaCowboy:

... what advantages does a static IP have.

For the average user: None.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

My question is do they provision the modem differently with no throttling or network optimization. And what advantages does a static IP have. I was thinking of switching to satellite internet but I'm thinking of Comcast business class now.

The only difference in modem provisioning, is if you are using your own Comcast BCI approved modem, and not one of their leased gateway boxes, the modem is provisioned to allow up to five dynamic IP addresses to be used at the same time. Here is a screen shot showing that in my SB6121 (each CPE MAC address has an associated public IP address):

The primary advantages of public static IP addresses is that it makes running public servers more convenient (especially an email server), and it simplifies hosting a VPN server. You will need to lease one of Comcast's BCI gateways if you want to have public static IP address(es). The current gateway lease fee is $13 per month, and a static IP block is $15-$35 per month depending on how many static IP address(es) you need.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
In my market BC does get priority over residential for service calls and the techs are usually dedicated to BC only. They have a four hour time window from when you call in a problem to getting someone out. I've never had to try this, the only time I've had a problem I had called in after hours so that wasn't possible anyway. They did come first thing next day though.

As for tech support they don't send you overseas at least never in my experience, the average CSR usually is at least smart enough for basic things and making appts and your chances of getting someone who actually is very on top of things are much higher. Billing and retentions are the same so don't expect any miracles there, although because BC doesn't have all that promo BS like resi, things are far less likely to get screwed up.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I was thinking of switching to satellite internet

Why would anyone choose to go through that kind of hell?!?!?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I was looking for alternatives to Comcast's horrendous support. The internet has been working great the last few days. I'm just looking for something better than Comcast. I've read on here that if you buy Comcast business grade internet you have a much better experience. I'm thinking they configure the modem differently without port blocking or throttling aka network optimization. I know the speed is capped but I still have issues with loading YouTube videos. I've heard business customers don't have issues with Netflix or YouTube. One user used a VPN and was able to get full Netflix HD.

I've been having issues where the network freezes or takes a minute to load.

I'd like all the specifics of residential vs business.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

said by IowaCowboy:

I was thinking of switching to satellite internet

Why would anyone choose to go through that kind of hell?!?!?

I had the same thought, but who am I to question someone's lifestyle? Some people just like a good challenge to keep life from being boring?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to GusHerb

Premium Member

to GusHerb
said by GusHerb:

As for tech support they don't send you overseas at least never in my experience, the average CSR usually is at least smart enough for basic things and making appts and your chances of getting someone who actually is very on top of things are much higher. Billing and retentions are the same so don't expect any miracles there, although because BC doesn't have all that promo BS like resi, things are far less likely to get screwed up.

And better than let me send a refresh signal to your modem when it's a neighbor's house feeding ingress into the tap.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
And I could use one of those five IP addresses for each computer. Just hook my switch into the back of the modem so my mother's computer has it's own, one for the iPad and iPhone and one for the MacBook Pro. Just use multiple routers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

you can count on being billed a minimum $100 for any truck roll, even if the reason for the truck roll is Comcast infrastructure

They tried that once on me but refunded when I pointed out the issue was still there and it wasn't my in home cabling.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to GusHerb

Premium Member

to GusHerb
Based on what techs in my area have said BCI techs are a step above (IE its a promotion from HSI tech) and I've always been able to get next day service.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

And I could use one of those five IP addresses for each computer. Just hook my switch into the back of the modem so my mother's computer has it's own, one for the iPad and iPhone and one for the MacBook Pro. Just use multiple routers.

Why would you let your computers each use a public IP?
There's more sane reasons to use multiple dynamic IP's.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What are some reasons to use multiple public IPs.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Bear in mind however, that Apple products are not totally bulletproof, despite what you might hear. If you connect multiple devices to the modem without a hardware firewall/router, your only drive-by protection is from an Internal software firewall in the device itself. Using multiple routers (one for each device?) would of course provide the extra layered protection, but you would still have NAT involved, and the removal of NAT is the only reason I can think of to directly connect a PC (Mac or otherwise) directly to a modem.

FWIW, I do use multiple routers, but I do so to create multiple isolated subnets for different types of traffic (just a fetish that I indulge, not necessarily something that you (or anyone else) should/would do).
NetFixer

NetFixer to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by NetFixer:

you can count on being billed a minimum $100 for any truck roll, even if the reason for the truck roll is Comcast infrastructure

They tried that once on me but refunded when I pointed out the issue was still there and it wasn't my in home cabling.

They are counting on the possibility (probability?) that for a business account, the bill is paid by an office clerk who has no idea what the bill is for, and just pays any bill that lands on his/her desk. Their tactic didn't work for me either, but I have had clients who paid bogus bills like that with no clue that they were being taken to the cleaners.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck

said by NetFixer:

They are counting on the possibility (probability?) that for a business account, the bill is paid by an office clerk who has no idea what the bill is for, and just pays any bill that lands on his/her desk.

Despicable behavior on Comcast's part, IMHO.

And OP, i will say that i have had only what sound to be native English speakers when calling phone support; this alone makes the support situation a tad less painful.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

They are counting on the possibility (probability?)

Well I know at my former employer any change in monthly costs would raise a flag.

and well they had said that if it was something not belonging to Comcast then I would have to pay.
but it was the SMC that was acting up again.

still hoping to get a DPC3939b but last I called it wasn't in my area yet.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Hosting servers
and doing things with multiple devices that don't like sharing an IP.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
I have 4 of my 5 statics set to be the NAT (er PAT) ip for each vlan, so media devices and servers will be nated to a different public IP.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

As a netadmin-in-training i find it useful to have multiple public addresses to test different devices with, but most folks don't need 'em.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I utilized two public IP's when I had a customer wifi hotspot going on a separate router. Was the easiest way to keep the private network secure.

To answer your other questions BCI is really the same as residential when it comes to internet traffic related things such as YT and Netflix. At least I've never experienced anything different between our BCI connection and our resi connection at home. So if your having streaming problems don't expect BC to solve them.

I personally wouldn't bother with BCI unless I for some reason needed cable internet and wanted quicker response times for service calls, or had digital voice and wanted quicker response times etc. Or if your fed up with trying to get promo pricing all the time etc. Another potential benefit is lower likelihood of a tech disconnecting you randomly at the tap because they put a bright yellow tag on there that says business class customer on it, and they're aren't supposed to ever mess with those.
The only big turn off is the contract, which is usually two years minimum and they push for three. The ToS states that when the initial contract ends that it auto renews for one year on renewal date every year but I found out when ours ended last year that they don't enforce this and just treat it as month to month after contract end...but the wording is there otherwise so be aware.

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
How would one get business service at a residence?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by jeffmoss26:

pretty easily, i was able to get it at my house. You don't have to actually be a business to get business class. Though that does bring up one point, in my area, I was told I could not have TV service installed, since my "business" didn't have a "conference" or "waiting" room; I would think you might be able to fudge a bit and say your living room is a "waiting room", but no guarantees on that.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to jeffmoss26

Premium Member

to jeffmoss26
said by jeffmoss26:

By going to »business.comcast.com/ and starting the order process (which usually means being put into a call-back queue and waiting for a BCI sales person to call you). Comcast doesn't require that you be a traditional brick and mortar business to get business class service. All you need is a physical location where the connection can be made (just like residential class service). My BCI service is in a bedroom that I use as a home office. I did use a DBA business name to signup for the service, but that is not required.
NetFixer

NetFixer to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

Though that does bring up one point, in my area, I was told I could not have TV service installed, since my "business" didn't have a "conference" or "waiting" room;

I got the same answer when I inquired about migrating from my $25+ residential "basic" TV service to the $5 "basic" BC TV service. The "basic" TV service was the only one that would have been advantageous, because the other packages were the same price (or higher) as similar residential packages.

FYI, if you don't have Comcast TV, but do want it, you can have residential TV service at the same address coming in on the same coax drop as your BCI service. I have that arrangement, and I was told that it is a very common arrangement for home-based BCI service.