spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rb
@70.125.9.x

rb

Anon

Using Android 4.1.2 Phone as WiFi Hotspot

My carrier does not support the Phone Hotspot feature. I installed PadaNet (had tried FoxFi which is basically the same as PadaNet and uninstalled it before Installing PadaNet). These Apps are basically the same. Both had the Hotspot Feature. When I turned on PadaNet HotSpot feature my WiFi Only Tablet sae the PadaNet Hotspot signal.....I tapped Connect....then I see "Obtaining IP Adddress" and after a Minute or so I see " “Network Disabled because Internet connection is slow”. The PadaNet signal in my Tablets WiFi list displays it as an Excellent Strenght at 72Mbps.

Anyone have any ideas while the Tablet fails to Obtain an IP address? I would like to use my Tablet because of its size to steam Video using my Phones 4G Internet connection

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Many Android devices can't deal with connecting to adhoc APs out of the box or at all(some can be hacked, but don't count on it). However, if you use custom ROMs, you can enable bluetooth tethering which is better IMHO for a few reasons. 1. harder for carrier to detect as packets are the same size as if they came directly from the device. 2. Much lower battery use. 3. Compatibility with unmodded recent Android versions 4. lower latency because no NAT is involved. I have held onto a Wildfire S on T-Mobile that I updated with a custom ROM and tether my wifi only Nexus 7(all stock to keep warranty) to do the heavy lifting and give an overall better experience.

rb
@70.125.9.x

rb

Anon

When I Paired the Cell Phone with my Tablet using PadaNet it paired Fine.

When I opened my App on my Tablet to stream Video from an app on my Tablet that requires an Internet connection using my Cell as a Hotspot the message that displayed, cannot play Video...... which I believe Video cannot be streamed via a Bluetooth Pairing.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I do so fine. I always had rotten luck with those apps, hence one reason I use a ROM with native capability built in. I remember PDANet needed a client that was a Windows exclusive which ruled it out for me as I have no Windows clients to tether. All my computers are Linux and mobile devices are Android. I only use Windows in a VM for testing for work and to help with troubleshooting for work.
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to rb

Premium Member

to rb
I use PDANET and it works great, but I do it via USB tethering instead. Works great and charges my phone while I am online.

rb
@70.125.9.x

rb

Anon

So you have purchased a special USB cable, I guess it called Micro USB male connector????? at each end (My Tablet and Cell use this size Connector).

Plug the Cell to the Tablet, the Tablet than uses the 4G connection of the Phone to access the Internet..... What do you see on the Tablet to confirm this USB connection? As an example, when I am connected to a WiFi signal my Tablet's WiFi list will display connected to that signal.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Not sure how well it would work Android to Android as I am not sure if a special driver is needed.