share rss forum feed

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

DDR4 is on its way

...and boy is it going to be expensive (but not as much as we thought). However, the speeds for the base module is 2133 MHz. Here is a link to a list of DDR4 that Newegg has available (desktop versions will be released on 08/29/2014). Contrast that with the current price of DDR3 (at the same speed). So, it is about $25 more for the same density.

However, this is comparing 4GB modules. Allegedly, DDR4 is going to allow for 16 GB density sticks. I would think these are going to cost significantly more than $54. If they follow the same pricing scheme that DDR3 did (2x density = 2x the price, roughly), then I think we are looking at 16 GB modules costing about 2.5-3x the cost of 4 GB sticks. Anyone have any thoughts?

P.S. DDR4 is 288 pin. Also, the initial release of DDR4 is going to have a CAS 15, which is nearly double current offerings. It will probably get better over time.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo
»www.chaoticconfused.com

Mentat
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Sugar Land, TX

Yeah, no.

I'll be waiting this one out.
--
Be kind to animals.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Tirael

The only thing I have that uses DDR3 is my laptop the Dell Latitude E6510. My desktop is a C2D 3.0 with 4 GB DDR2. Unless I really need all that, I'll stick with what I got.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to Tirael

I for one will be tossing all my DDR3 computers and upgrading to DDR4.

...or I'll just end up needing it if I buy a new computer/motherboard during the DDR4 'era' like everyone else, but everyone was making proclamations and I didn't want to be left out.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Tirael

The prices are as expected. That is to say prices are rather high. If I buy into the platform I would probably just start off with a single 4GB DDR4 2133 DIMM or maybe an 8GB which would probably be ~$54 to ~$109.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Tirael

Honestly, I thought DDR4 pricing was going to be more expensive than that.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by Ghastlyone:

Honestly, I thought DDR4 pricing was going to be more expensive than that.

Its a bit of a range and honestly if I buy into the platform I would be taking the cheaper route by starting off with a lower capacity (single DIMM).

However, a 16GB DDR4 2133 (2x8GB) kit could cost about ~$219.

Or

A 16GB DDR4 2666 (4x4GB) kit could cost about ~$479.

So for me a compromise would be buying a single 8GB DDR4 2133 DIMM at about ~$109 then at a later date and a cheaper rate add more. It's tempting to go for the 4GB option at ~$54 but I think that simply wouldn't be enough RAM for a typical use case.

So the only three components I would need would be the CPU, motherboard and RAM. I'm guessing for the entry level Core i7 5820K that it would be about ~$300 to ~$400 and the first run of motherboards would be about the same. So a range of ~$600 to ~$800 not including RAM.

So best lowest guess (hoping for a generous Microcenter deal) is about ~$654 with a 4GB DDR4 2133 DIMM or~$709 with a 8GB DDR4 2133 DIMM.

berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Octavean:

So for me a compromise would be buying a single 8GB DDR4 2133 DIMM at about ~$109 then at a later date and a cheaper rate add more.

I've bought memory from Corsair that was warranted to work with other modules only if they were all part of kit, all sold together. This condition might not apply universally but it isn't uncommon and the possibility should be investigated as part of the strategy to add modules later.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by berserken:

said by Octavean:

So for me a compromise would be buying a single 8GB DDR4 2133 DIMM at about ~$109 then at a later date and a cheaper rate add more.

I've bought memory from Corsair that was warranted to work with other modules only if they were all part of kit, all sold together. This condition might not apply universally but it isn't uncommon and the possibility should be investigated as part of the strategy to add modules later.

I'm personally not the least bit worried about it.

I've often mixed RAM and have had reasonably good overall performance / results. Typically I prefer to buy RAM at a relatively low price but I have bought at higher prices on occasion. My first DDR3 DIMM purchase was used with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 system before the release of Nehalem / LGA1366. That DIMM was eventually used in a Core i7 920 build with dissimilar RAM and worked great even to this day. Same with my Sandy Bridge-E based system.

If there is a problem later with dissimilar modules down the line I'll deal with it then. At that point prices will probably be at the point that it wouldn't necessarily matter to me if I ended up buying a new kit to make up for it. Assuming the problem is even big enough to be noticeable.